Gerrit Cole - The Rebuild’s Fulcrum

Chicago White Sox

The Machado contract is a mixed blessing. We get to watch four plus years of a crippled Cabrera assuming he can stay on the active roster. Albert Pujols is a shell of his former self. If it was my money I would think twice before paying for past performance. Let the Red Sox fund Chris Sale's retirement since they won a World Series with him. In general I don't care what deals are signed but the long ones do not end well.  

10 minutes ago, pcq said:

The Machado contract is a mixed blessing. We get to watch four plus years of a crippled Cabrera assuming he can stay on the active roster. Albert Pujols is a shell of his former self. If it was my money I would think twice before paying for past performance. Let the Red Sox fund Chris Sale's retirement since they won a World Series with him. In general I don't care what deals are signed but the long ones do not end well.  

You’re comparing apples to oranges.  Neither Cabrera nor Pujols were signed to their current long term contracts at the ripe, ‘ol age of 26, like Machado was.  

The Tigers and Angels will be paying Cabrera and Pujols into their early 40s, while the Padres will only pay Manny through his age 36 year.  HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Again, epic fail by the Sox not to take advantage of the rare opportunity to sign a guy of Machado’s caliber at the prime age that he was available.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

You’re comparing apples to oranges.  Neither Cabrera nor Pujols were signed to their current long term contracts at the ripe, ‘ol age of 26, like Machado was.  

The Tigers and Angels will be paying Cabrera and Pujols into their early 40s, while the Padres will only pay Manny through his age 36 year.  HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Again, epic fail by the Sox not to take advantage of the rare opportunity to sign a guy of Machado’s caliber at the prime age that he was available.  

You’re also forgetting there’s a very good chance he walks after five years...if he continues to maintain his production level and health and salaries continue to skyrocket.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re also forgetting there’s a very good chance he walks after five years...if he continues to maintain his production level and health and salaries continue to skyrocket.

Not only that, but adding Machado would have created a surplus in infielders that could haave been used to make trades for other necessities. Like SP or RF.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:46 PM, Tony said:

It’s why last offseason was so frustrating. Two mega FA’s that both fit for the Sox, and all the big players (Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs) we’re sitting on the FA sidelines. It’s not going to happen again anytime soon like that. 

The money being tossed around got very expensive even with the big boys sitting out.  Next year we have very good third baseman and excellent 2nd baseman and the money to buy what we need in pitching and right field.  The plan is on schedule IMO.

32 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The money being tossed around got very expensive even with the big boys sitting out.  Next year we have very good third baseman and excellent 2nd baseman and the money to buy what we need in pitching and right field.  The plan is on schedule IMO.

What do you think will happen to the price of pitching and RF with more competition for those guys this upcoming offseason?  They won’t reach the prices of Harper and Machado but guy like Cole, Bumgarner, Ozuna, and Strasburg (if he opts out) will get expensive.

On 7/28/2019 at 12:51 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

Not only that, but adding Machado would have created a surplus in infielders that could haave been used to make trades for other necessities. Like SP or RF.

It might of pushed Anderson to CF (where I think he would be great), which then pushes Robert to RF and fills that hole. I don't see any way that not signing Machado is a good thing. Machado plus all these other young guns could of been a potential murders row...err, South Side Hitmen part 2.

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I still want Rendon. I don't care if he plays 2nd base or Moncada goes back to 2nd base. The Sox need talent pure and simple. Logistics be damned

Sure, it would be awesome but we all know it isn’t going to happen.