Gerrit Cole - The Rebuild’s Fulcrum

Chicago White Sox

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think this name keeps getting misspelled because of former Cub Jason Hammel...

Hamels

Jason Hammel hasn't pitched since going 4-14 for the Royals in 2018.  Sox can probably get him cheap :cool:

2 minutes ago, zisk said:

Yeah, we'll go the cheap route. Is David Wells still breathing?

We might be able to get him and Kip on a Wells package deal. :)

Honestly I hope we can get some good FA options but I do not expect the Sox to spend $ on a top tier free agent pitcher who is looking for a long term deal.

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

Do you think McCann was about the money in last years FA class.  For most guys it's just the process required in today baseball.  Lots of guys sign quickly with first team that shows genuine interest.  Boras clients take forever because they want every last nickel.  This all about the money crap is not good for baseball.

McCann had an embarrassing .581 OPS with the Tigers last year.  He was lucky to get $2.5 million guaranteed from the Sox.  If he had any leverage, he would’ve signed for more than mediocre bench money.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

McCann had an embarrassing .581 OPS with the Tigers last year.  He was lucky to get $2.5 million guaranteed from the Sox.  If he had any leverage, he would’ve signed for more than mediocre bench money.

McCann will certainly get a chance next year to prove himself worthy of a longer term deal. At this point the Sox still control him via arbitration, so I'm not concerned.

I really really do not see Cole to the Sox being realistic. 

16 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No offense, but this is straight garbage.  By all means question whether they’ll add a legit star in free agency, but there are multiple tiers of free agents better than Ivan fucking Nova.  If that’s what you truly believe, then you might as well turn in your fan card in right now as the rebuild would be completely doomed.

I don’t see how you can shred a comment like this.  Hahn brought in Nova, Santana, and Banuelos this past offseason as rotation guys.  Did he intentionally waste $9 million on Nova thinking he would be bad?  No, he thought he would be a good #4/#5 starter.  He has brought in other such trash over the past few years (Paulino, Noesi, Latos, Santiago, Holland, MiGo) as rotation solutions.  Did he intentionally sign the worst possible answers for his rotations?  

What big name starting pitchers has Hahn signed/acquired from outside the Sox organization?  Big Game James nearing his retirement?  Sure, Hahn will supposedly have more money to spend next offseason but does anyone trust him to spend it wisely?  Why is there any reason to trust him going forward when it comes to free agency?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No, he thought he would be a good #4/#5 starter.

He thought he'd be a guy you could count on to be healthy and throw a bunch of innings. He's done that. None of these guys you named were brought on to do anything other than be bodies. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

He thought he'd be a guy you could count on to be healthy and throw a bunch of innings. He's done that. None of these guys you named were brought on to do anything other than be bodies. 

I disagree.  You can get a near 6 ERA from starters a lot cheaper than Nova and his $9 million dollars (see Dylan Covey).  Hahn thought Nova would do a good job as a #4/#5 in the rotation and then deal him away at the trade deadline.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t see how you can shred a comment like this.  Hahn brought in Nova, Santana, and Banuelos this past offseason as rotation guys.  Did he intentionally waste $9 million on Nova thinking he would be bad?  No, he thought he would be a good #4/#5 starter.  He has brought in other such trash over the past few years (Paulino, Noesi, Latos, Santiago, Holland, MiGo) as rotation solutions.  Did he intentionally sign the worst possible answers for his rotations?  

What big name starting pitchers has Hahn signed/acquired from outside the Sox organization?  Big Game James nearing his retirement?  Sure, Hahn will supposedly have more money to spend next offseason but does anyone trust him to spend it wisely?  Why is there any reason to trust him going forward when it comes to free agency?

We don't have any idea...the last time they spent significantly in free agency, it was Robertson/Cabrera/LaRoche/Bonifacio.  That doesn't exactly instill confidence.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Pretty simple, Hahn didn’t want to commit any long-term money or use any of his prospect currency just yet.  Next offseason is a totally different story and to suggest an Ivan Nova caliber starter is the best they’ll do is hating just to hate.

And by no means am I suggesting will acquire the right guy ultimately, but he sure as shit will commit significantly more resources than the $9M and lottery ticket Ivan Nova cost.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Pretty simple, Hahn didn’t want to commit any long-term money or use any of his prospect currency just yet.  Next offseason is a totally different story and to suggest an Ivan Nova caliber starter is the best they’ll do is hating just to hate.

And by no means am I suggesting will acquire the right guy ultimately, but he sure as shit will commit significantly more resources than the $9M and lottery ticket Ivan Nova cost.

But there are definitely levels of spending that are expected and may not be reached by Hahn.  Is Alex Wood going to make you happy?  That will be more than Nova’s $9 million.  But that isn’t good enough.  Most people are expecting more than that.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

But there are definitely levels of spending that are expected and may not be reached by Hahn.  Is Alex Wood going to make you happy?  That will be more than Nova’s $9 million.  But that isn’t good enough.  Most people are expecting more than that.

There is zero reason we can’t go out and sign Bumgarner or Wheeler.  They will get five years max (probably less with Wheeler) and that’s something we can easily do.  We didn’t miss out on Machado because of the AAV, we missed out on him over the years.

• Haha 1

Did anyone hear Steve Stone discussing massive player contracts during tonight’s game?

It sounded like he was speaking for Reinsdorf just now, saying that starting pitchers aren’t worth the massive contracts they receive to pitch into old age and because they are injury risks.

Did anyone else hear this?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Did anyone hear Steve Stone discussing massive player contracts during tonight’s game?

It sounded like he was speaking for Reinsdorf just now, saying that starting pitchers aren’t worth the massive contracts they receive to pitch into old age and because they are injury risks.

Michael Wacha came out of the bullpen tonight, his 5.33 ERA will be a bargain...

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes. Just brings more fuel to the fire that the Sox won't pay for any FA. Just fucking invest that money into your scouting, analytics, and Player Development dept. If you want to be a small market team, be the A's or Rays, not the Pirates. 

If they don't do something reasonably acceptable to the fanbase this offseason, there are going to be torches and pitchforks at 35th and Shields. If the fanbase really gets pissed, the Sox could take off next year and the stadium could still be empty. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes. Just brings more fuel to the fire that the Sox won't pay for any FA. Just fucking invest that money into your scouting, analytics, and Player Development dept. If you want to be a small market team, be the A's or Rays, not the Pirates. 

If they don't do something reasonably acceptable to the fanbase this offseason, there are going to be torches and pitchforks at 35th and Shields. If the fanbase really gets pissed, the Sox could take off next year and the stadium could still be empty. 

The Pirates were actually the first to embrace shifts, pitch framing....emphasizing two seam sinkers to keep the ball on the infield with superior infielders, lessening wear and tear on starting pitchers with elevated pitch counts (more k’s and walks with four seamers, more fly outs/homers).

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I didn't hear this, but I am not surprised. If I was in the broadcast booth, I would not allow myself to be used this way. If Reinsdorf wants to say something, just come and say it. Meanwhile, it is hard to put a rotation together with prospects.