Dylan Cease

KnightsOnMintSt

12 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I'm encouraged by these first three starts. Dude is going to be good when he trusts his fastball enough to throw it for strikes. Breaking stuff is nasty. The velocity is there. Once he is confident to pound the zone, he will be an All-Star.

Yea he’s calm too.  Opposite of Carson Fulmer sweating so much the mound shows signs of erosion.  

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Let him work out the kinks on the big league level. Command was a problem in AAA and it’s an issue at the ML level, but let him work with the big league staff, and McCann for the rest of the season, see how he improved for 2020.

But the hard part is the stuff, and he’s got that. 

Agreed. McCann should help him out a ton. He'll get there, we just need to have patience. Going to be interesting next season having Gio, Lopez, Cease and Kopech all in the rotation. We might want to prepare ourselves for some growing pains.

12 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Agreed. McCann should help him out a ton. He'll get there, we just need to have patience. Going to be interesting next season having Gio, Lopez, Cease and Kopech all in the rotation. We might want to prepare ourselves for some growing pains.

Yet another reason not to trade McCann...unless they're confident in signing Grandal, which I don't know how that would be possible at this point unless Moncada, Abreu and Robert have the "inside scoop" we're not privy to.

Yeah, there's some growing pains to be sure. However, you can see the future which lays ahead for him. It's bright. 

It's been mostly good, I would say. Really, just one bad inning in each start. 

Looking forward to that first start when it clicks into place. 

Edited by Richie

8 minutes ago, Richie said:

Yeah, there's some growing pains to be sure. However, you can see the future which lays ahead for him. It's bright. 

It's been mostly good, I would say. Really, just one bad inning in each start. 

Looking forward to that first start when it clicks into place. 

Hopefully,  Dylan Cease isn't English for Javier Vasquez,  the master of the one bad inning. 

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yet another reason not to trade McCann...unless they're confident in signing Grandal, which I don't know how that would be possible at this point unless Moncada, Abreu and Robert have the "inside scoop" we're not privy to.

That is true about McCann. If he really is that good working with pitchers then it's a no brainer. He's one of the most valuable players on the team in that regard. I wish he could talk all the guys into working fast. You work fast and you've got half of it conquered. Working slow is counterproductive.

He got himself in trouble early with the walks, and you could almost sense the grand slam coming.  But, as others have mentioned, he's very calm and collected out there.  Afterwards, he came out and pitched much better.  He's got great stuff and a very good demeanor on the mound.  The rest will come over time, but he needs to keep doing it at the ML level.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I'm encouraged by these first three starts. Dude is going to be good when he trusts his fastball enough to throw it for strikes. Breaking stuff is nasty. The velocity is there. Once he is confident to pound the zone, he will be an All-Star.

Sox were outscored 4-2 by a team that only had three hits.  Tells you what you need to know about the Cease start.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

That is true about McCann. If he really is that good working with pitchers then it's a no brainer. He's one of the most valuable players on the team in that regard. I wish he could talk all the guys into working fast. You work fast and you've got half of it conquered. Working slow is counterproductive.

I am going to try to avoid watching any more starts by Nova....I can feel myself aging when he's out there.

Ivan Nova...the anti-Buehrle.

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Fans like that (troy_bianchi) who post in the comments section are fucking disgusting as a Sox fan. I see that quite a bit on some player's IGs. Kid is barely 3 starts into his professional career. 

I really hope that dude is like 13. 

Anyway, he'll be fine, his stuff is way too good.

I like what I've seen.  His stuff is TOR quality.  His command is currently AA level.  I have a theory he was basically the same guy in AA but batters were just not chasing his fastball half a foot off the plate.  Let him work out his command issues at the MLB level so he knows what he's got to work on all offseason and next spring.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I like what I've seen.  His stuff is TOR quality.  His command is currently AA level.  I have a theory he was basically the same guy in AA but batters were just not chasing his fastball half a foot off the plate.  Let him work out his command issues at the MLB level so he knows what he's got to work on all offseason and next spring.  

This is true for nearly all prospects in one way or another. There talent doesn't change as they go up the levels (some physical maturing in the very young ones). it's the refinement of the talent and the learning process of how to use that talent at each progressively more difficult level.

This was the whole reason I was pushing for Kopech (now Cease) to get to the MLB when they are ready. There is a learning curve for each pitcher, sometime it's a very short and shallow curve but more often than not it's fairly steep.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Maybe this was posted elsewhere but as someone that's in between Gen X and Gen Z (older millenial) I found his comments spot fucking on.

I could think of a lot things I'd blame falling attendance on before phones. 

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I could think of a lot things I'd blame falling attendance on before phones. 

His riff off attendance and onto the normality of going on a date and not looking up at your partner was the nut of the thing.  It's shocking to me when I see couples both on their phone ignoring each other in social settings.   His point about how everybody on IG is "living their best life"  but all of Gen Z is in a "mental health crisis" is spot on.  Which one is it?  Best life, YOLO or is it a crisis of confidence?  It's obviously the latter and the former is just a veneer.  

Is it the end of society?  Probably not, but it's toxic imo and is a large part of why the youth (people under 26 or so) are so depressed all the time and anxious.  PUT DOWN THE PHONE!

43 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Maybe this was posted elsewhere but as someone that's in between Gen X and Gen Z (older millenial) I found his comments spot fucking on.

One day they will sync our phones with our brains. 

Obvious solution, connect virtual reality and augmented reality with the way we take in sports...to enrich or enhance the experience.

Those over age 40 or 50 will be resistant (just give me my damned 50 cent box score/program, radio and daily newspaper printed on black and white)...but it's obvious something has to be done to connect with the younger generation.

Why, for example, have the HoF induction speeches on a Sunday in July when nobody's paying attention...when you have to compete with the British Open or actual, real baseball games for attention?

Why not do it the day before or in the days after the All-Star Game when you would have more of a spotlight?

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Fans like that (troy_bianchi) who post in the comments section are fucking disgusting as a Sox fan. I see that quite a bit on some player's IGs. Kid is barely 3 starts into his professional career. 

Never read the comments section is the lesson here.