Dylan Cease

KnightsOnMintSt

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Obvious solution, connect virtual reality and augmented reality with the way we take in sports...to enrich or enhance the experience.

Those over age 40 or 50 will be resistant (just give me my damned 50 cent box score/program, radio and daily newspaper printed on black and white)...but it'sobvious something has to be done to connect with the younger generation.

Why, for example, have the HoF induction speeches on a Sunday in July when nobody's paying attention...when you have to compete with the British Open or actual, real baseball games for attention?

Why not do it the day before or in the days after the All-Star Game when you would have more of a spotlight?

Good thought to change the date for HOF .

52 minutes ago, pcq said:

One day they will sync our phones with our brains. 

I shouldn't have read the replies on the tweet but one guy was upset at the coach for saying it and said he'd rather be at home with 4 different TVs and not have to wait in line for bathroom and not have to wait in line for beer, etc.

It's too bad people don't want to experience live sporting events as much, but folks have to admit it's very expensive (in terms of having a GOOD seat), not so much if u play the secondary market game.

Edited by greg775

8 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

His riff off attendance and onto the normality of going on a date and not looking up at your partner was the nut of the thing.  It's shocking to me when I see couples both on their phone ignoring each other in social settings.   His point about how everybody on IG is "living their best life"  but all of Gen Z is in a "mental health crisis" is spot on.  Which one is it?  Best life, YOLO or is it a crisis of confidence?  It's obviously the latter and the former is just a veneer.  

Is it the end of society?  Probably not, but it's toxic imo and is a large part of why the youth (people under 26 or so) are so depressed all the time and anxious.  PUT DOWN THE PHONE!

Phones as a cause of depression and anxiety is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on here today.

Don't worry, though.  Dumb stuff is posted on here at a record pace.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Phones as a cause of depression and anxiety is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on here today.

Don't worry, though.  Dumb stuff is posted on here at a record pace.

But I do laugh when you see shots in the stands and you see numerous people looking at their phones instead of the game.  I know it is everywhere not just athletic events. They are moving the netting for good cause because several children have been hit by foul balls. With so many looking at their phones instead of the game, I am surprised more adults haven't got hurt  as well. 

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Oh no, the sky is falling. Won’t somebody think of the children.

Just pointing out that he's had issues in this regard. Maybe he learns and gets through this in time, maybe he turns into another Javier Vasquez...we'll see. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just pointing out that he's had issues in this regard. Maybe he learns and gets through this in time, maybe he turns into another Javier Vasquez...we'll see. 

Javier Vazquez ended his career with 165 wins and 45 WAR. Is that supposed to be a bad thing? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

He has had a tendency to have a bad inning early.  He does seem to bounce back.  All part of the learning curve.  That's why I'm glad he's up now...getting his major league intro when results don't matter.

I agree, and I think Cease will be a good pitcher. He has the talent. I also think some fans are unrealistic. They believe some highly touted young player will come up and be great immediately. Most times that doesn't happen. That is what is tough about a rebuild. First, the prospect isn't ready for the big time. Then he has to learn on the job. One losing season follows another. And when the club already had a string of losing seasons before the rebuild, this is tough to take. You just don't know when a young player will put it together, if he ever does. I think Cease will. When? Your guess is as good as mine.

44 minutes ago, RTC said:

Guys having the wheels come off for an inning is typical of a young pitcher.  Guys who rebound and don't let it derail their whole outing is the sign of a very good young pitcher.

To be fair to the kid, that is very true also.

5 hours ago, RTC said:

Guys having the wheels come off for an inning is typical of a young pitcher.  Guys who rebound and don't let it derail their whole outing is the sign of a very good young pitcher.

That and no run support.  It also makes me ? the effectiveness of Cooper. 

7 hours ago, RTC said:

Some guys just start off slow in their MLB career.

Tom Glavine and John Smoltz are prime examples.  These 2 HOFers hardly hit the ground running.  Glavine had an ERA of 5.54 his 1st year and 4.56 in Year 2.  Then it all kicked in.

Smoltz had a 5.48 ERA his first year with the Braves.

Certainly not saying that Cease is a future Hall of Fame guy, but it IS way too early to complain.

5 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

Some guys just start off slow in their MLB career.

Tom Glavine and John Smoltz are prime examples.  These 2 HOFers hardly hit the ground running.  Glavine had an ERA of 5.54 his 1st year and 4.56 in Year 2.  Then it all kicked in.

Smoltz had a 5.48 ERA his first year with the Braves.

Certainly not saying that Cease is a future Hall of Fame guy, but it IS way too early to complain.

Not many young ballplayers today will sniff the Hall of Fame. Pitchers have surgeries a lot more and wins and losses mean nothing anymore. There will be so little to judge them on compared to the guys already in there and their stats. 

Edited by greg775