If you could pick one position player to add to the roster

caulfield12

Choose the one position player (assuming you are inheriting their current contract situation) you would add to the White Sox  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one and only one

• Christian Yelich
    • Cody Bellinger
    • Mike Trout
    • Ronald Acuna, Jr.
    • Mookie Betts
    • Any Cub (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras)
    • Any Astro (Bregman, Altuve, Springer, Correa)
    • Vladimir Guerrero, Jr.
    • Fernando Tatis, Jr.
    • Other (lots of good choices, like Arenado/Chapman/Judge/G.Sanchez)

I was tempted to go with Contreras, because of how hard it is to find a truly excellent two-way catcher.

Bryant would be hard to choose just because of his eventual FA status, but he's one of the best "average speed" baserunners since Jose Valentin and is actually a deceptively adept corner outfielder with a strong throwing arm to boot.

Writing this down, I totally forgot about Francisco Lindor as well.  Or Josh Bell, who's had an amazing season so far but had the 1B/DH thing working against him.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Probably Acuna, Soto or Tatis Jr. 

If I could perform a Jedi mind trick on AA, Preller or Rizzo on Hahn's behalf to make one magically on the Sox tomorrow, I honestly don't know which guy I'd pick. 

Soto was one of my last "cuts" from the individual options, but it was only because of his lack of dyamic speed and more or less average defensive skills.  But he can REALLY hit the ball and has recovered quite well after a slow start in what is usually a harder sophomore season in the bigs.

Positional versatility is becoming more and more important...that's one of the factors hurting the likes of Guerrero and Jimenez.

Javier Baez might be the most exciting player in baseball right now.  If it's not him, you would probably look to Trout, Acuna, Jr. or Tatis,, Jr.    Not the best, because he still doesn't change his offensive approach for situations like some of the best hitters in the game, but in terms of defense and baserunning, there's nobody better. 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Soto was one of my last "cuts" from the individual options, but it was only because of his lack of dyamic speed and more or less average defensive skills.  But he can REALLY hit the ball and has recovered quite well after a slow start in what is usually a harder sophomore season in the bigs.

Positional versatility is becoming more and more important...that's one of the factors hurting the likes of Guerrero and Jimenez.

Javier Baez might be the most exciting player in baseball right now.  If it's not him, you would probably look to Trout, Acuna, Jr. or Tatis,, Jr.    Not the best, because he still doesn't change his offensive approach for situations like some of the best hitters in the game, but in terms of defense and baserunning, there's nobody better. 

Moncada>Baez. No, I'm not being a homer. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada>Baez. No, I'm not being a homer. 

If Moncada would run more frequently and had Baez's skills around the bag in terms of tagging baserunners...as well as the ability to play every position on the field except for maybe catcher (and I'm sure he would be willing to try.)

Let's just put it this way...Baez, when he reaches bases, he says "look at me, even though you know I'm going to do something crazy...you can't really stop me.  But go ahead and try."  Moncada doesn't really have that same aggressive attitude out there, at least not yet.

Moncada offensively has had 4 really solid months now...but he has to finish strong.

And then you have to give a slight advantage to SS over 3B positionally.

In terms of contract status, definitely Moncada....four years vs. two, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If Moncada would run more frequently and had Baez's skills around the bag in terms of tagging baserunners...as well as the ability to play every position on the field except for maybe catcher (and I'm sure he would be willing to try.)

Let's just put it this way...Baez, when he reaches bases, he says "look at me, even though you know I'm going to do something crazy...you can't really stop me.  But go ahead and try."  Moncada doesn't really have that same aggressive attitude out there, at least not yet.

Moncada offensively has had 4 really solid months now...but he has to finish strong.

And then you have to give a slight advantage to SS over 3B positionally.

In terms of contract status, definitely Moncada....four years vs. two, I'm pretty sure.

Moncada is a much more valuable hitter and is pretty damn good at 3B though. Baez has more game power but Moncada has the better OBP and avg. 

They're closer than you think, and for god sakes Ricky, Let Moncada run!

Edited by Jack Parkman

The last three years prior to this one, Baez has averaged an 814 ops.

Moncada was at 718, but has pulled his career average up to 770 because of his stronger, more consistent 2019.

Because of base running, positional versatility, defense/creativity...and longer track record, Baez has the advantage.

Two years vs. four of control though, it would be a majority decision in favor of Moncada by GM’s.

27 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Ummmm. .... why would anyone pick anyone other than Mike Trout?

Took this many posts until someone got the right answer.  Despite the 430 million (he's still underpaid), we might be watching the greatest player ever.

• Like 1

Because Reinsdorf might not be willing to add on another big contract after taking on that $430 million extension...and because of Luis Robert.  

Might end up in same situation as Angels, consistently missing out on the playoffs.  Or perhaps the idea that putting all of your payroll into a megastar like that would be risky for a mid-market franchise, especially if he was to get injured.  Would be curious how much the additional insurance is on that deal.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because Reinsdorf might not be willing to add on another big contract after taking on that $430 million extension...and because of Luis Robert.  

Might end up in same situation as Angels, consistently missing out on the playoffs.  Or perhaps the idea that putting all of your payroll into a megastar like that would be risky for a mid-market franchise, especially if he was to get injured.  Would be curious how much the additional insurance is on that deal.

But dude you left off of the best player on the planet. If he was willing to go 31 for Machado he would do 35 for Trout, and you could easily put him or Robert in RF.

9 minutes ago, zisk said:

F*ck You. Tatis is gone . Get over it.

This would be absolutely perfect for Brooks Boyer’s 2020 marketing campaign!

Or simply, “Tatis, Jr., is gone.  Get over it.  Plus, we have Elijah.”

On second though, just like a good Aaron Boone rant or Laura Dern on “Big, Little Lies”...the f*ck you part makes it 1,000x better.

Edited by caulfield12

22 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Soto or Yelich for fuck’s sake.  

I listed Yelich...here Boswell makes a case for Soto, but also provides a warning about overhyping anyone too soon.

He was the last player I cut from the individual voting options, right there with Lindor and Betts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/we-need-to-chill-on-hyping-juan-sotos-ceiling-but-hes-making-that-very-difficult/2019/07/16/c098c5ba-a7f7-11e9-a3a6-ab670962db05_story.html?utm_term=.f5eed47cc177

3.7 fWAR last year, 2.3 this season

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=20123&position=OF

The main reason I dinged him was speed/defense....and he’s a lot like Vaughn in that he’s a lot closer to a 25-30 homer guy than 35-50. (Of course, the exact same thing was said about Christian Yelich earlier in his career.)

3 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

So many good choices.

I think I would go Kris Bryant. Could play him at 3B, and move Moncada back to 2B. Or you could play him in RF and have an OF of Jimenez, Robert and Bryant.

The fascination with Cubs here is insane.  Betts is way better.  He could play 2B or OF.  Pretty much every other guy there is a better OF than Bryant.  And his contract status is among the worst on the list.  Or you could take Arenado and play him at third, or Matt Chapman.  Bryant is a tremendous player, but not among the top 10 guys I'd take.

For the record, I voted Trout.  I have no idea why you wouldn't want the best player in the game.  Why would you intentionally chose someone, when you know there is a superior player available.  BPA right?  

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1