If you could pick one position player to add to the roster

caulfield12

Choose the one position player (assuming you are inheriting their current contract situation) you would add to the White Sox  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one and only one

• Christian Yelich
    • Cody Bellinger
    • Mike Trout
    • Ronald Acuna, Jr.
    • Mookie Betts
    • Any Cub (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras)
    • Any Astro (Bregman, Altuve, Springer, Correa)
    • Vladimir Guerrero, Jr.
    • Fernando Tatis, Jr.
    • Other (lots of good choices, like Arenado/Chapman/Judge/G.Sanchez)

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Because Reinsdorf might not be willing to add on another big contract after taking on that $430 million extension...and because of Luis Robert.  

First of all, you'd pass on the best player in baseball because of a guy that has played a week in AAA?  I love Robert, and can't wait for him to get called up, but that thought is insane.  

Anyway, I'd hate to have two elite hitters and defenders.  That wouldn't be ideal.  I mean you couldn't even play them both at the same time.

Wait, what is that?  A team needs 3 OFers?????? So you could have Trout, Robert and Eloy?  Uh, yeah.  Give me that.

13 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

First of all, you'd pass on the best player in baseball because of a guy that has played a week in AAA?  I love Robert, and can't wait for him to get called up, but that thought is insane.  

Anyway, I'd hate to have two elite hitters and defenders.  That wouldn't be ideal.  I mean you couldn't even play them both at the same time.

Wait, what is that?  A team needs 3 OFers?????? So you could have Trout, Robert and Eloy?  Uh, yeah.  Give me that.

Realistically, we need the pitching equivalent of Trout...except that doesn’t exist.

So I would take the $430 million savings from choosing a 20-22 year old and put it into the pitching staff.  Nobody will match Trout’s numbers offensively, but that isn’t the point...because you need to have a talented pitching staff to win consistently, and the White Sox are much further away in that area than offensively.

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Realistically, we need the pitching equivalent of Trout...except that doesn’t exist.

So I would take the $430 million savings from choosing a 20-22 year old and put it into the pitching staff.  Nobody will match Trout’s numbers offensively, but that isn’t the point...because you need to have a talented pitching staff to win consistently, and the White Sox are much further away in that area than offensively.

Ok fine, that is true, and I agree, but wasn't your premise and question what position player would you add? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Ok fine, that is true, and I agree, but wasn't your premise and question what position player would you add? 

Yes, but it was also taking that player’s current contract into consideration...

Acuna, Soto, Jose Ramirez, Bregman, Lindor, Judge, Betts, Guerrero, Tatis, W. Franco, Correa, Trea Turner, Snell, Buehler, Nola was Jonah Keri’s Top 15 Most Valuable Trade assets coming into 2019.  

Cody Bellinger has basically taken Jose Ramirez’s spot since the season started.

Jimenez was 22nd, for the record.

https://theathletic.com/880451/2019/03/21/keri-the-2019-mlb-trade-value-player-rankings-part-3/

Edited by caulfield12

I guess I should have eliminated Trout, because of the discussion of the player to select after him is quite fascinating...

But still can't get over how the current version of the Angels parallels with the 2012-2016 White Sox, how having 4 really solid or even great (in the case of Sale with the Sox) players didn't even once lead to the playoffs.

Trout and Ohtani are the only LA hitters over OPS+ hitters over 112.

We have Moncada, Anderson and Moncada at 132, 119, 118.   Then Abreu at 107 and Eloy at 106.

Not only is Trout on track to be the greatest baseball player ever, but he also is controlled for 11 full seasons at a cheap rate relative to his production. Why people would talk themselves out of choosing him is something I cannot understand