Andrew Benintendi Available?

ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What’s his true level? Last year or 2017 and 2019? Is he that much better than Puig or Castellanos that we should be giving up legit MLB ready prospects for him? If they want Colome and Abreu that’s one thing but he’s not that much better than the other two impending free agents that cost only $$$.

Again - as I stated, I am not suggesting the Red Sox would actually trade Benintendi at all, let alone for a package of Bummer, Colome and Abreu.  I was simply passing along the report that Boston Globe said he was potentially available, and seeing as though its been well reported the Sox like Beinintendi, and he fits what they need, it may be worth discussing.  I also think its reasonable to assume Boston would have some interest in all three of Bummer, Colome and Abreu - but probably not in exchange for one of their best assets.

Also, Abreu is the only impending free agent of those three.  And yes, Beintendi is a much better all around baseball player than Puig and Castellanos.  Castellanos is not an option for the Sox in RF.  If they signed up, it'd be as the primary DH, occasional OF. You cannot have an OF with Eloy and Castellanos in it.      

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

@Flash  Well that would get it done but yea not happening.

@BackDoorBreach does boston have anybody we can absorb NBA style?

Some of their not so great pen guys if in this hypothetical we'd be sending Colome/Bummer over.  I just don't see how this makes any sense for them at all.  Mookie is going to FA after 2020 as well.  You'd think they would try to keep Benintendi for at least another year or 2 to see if he can figure it out for basically free.

Now if they were trying to send him in a deal for Thor then yeah I can see that.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Some of their not so great pen guys if in this hypothetical we'd be sending Colome/Bummer over.  I just don't see how this makes any sense for them at all.  Mookie is going to FA after 2020 as well.  You'd think they would try to keep Benintendi for at least another year or 2 to see if he can figure it out for basically free.

Now if they were trying to send him in a deal for Thor then yeah I can see that.

Seems like a 3rd team would have to get involved.  I think Sox fans are going to be pretty disapointed at the deadline.   I'm guessing they move Colome for a B- type and that's it.  Something slightly better than the Medeiros guy they got last year.

13 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

So says some recent speculation from Boston Globe. 

Would you be interested? 

Does Colome, Bummer and Abreu get you even close? What would need to be added? 

Purely speculation here to discuss...not necessarily saying Red Sox would be interested. Was shocked to see report he may be available.

Why would you even consider giving up three Major League quality players for one? I can’t see why we would add Benitendi when we have minor league outfield talent ready to come up

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Again - as I stated, I am not suggesting the Red Sox would actually trade Benintendi at all, let alone for a package of Bummer, Colome and Abreu.  I was simply passing along the report that Boston Globe said he was potentially available, and seeing as though its been well reported the Sox like Beinintendi, and he fits what they need, it may be worth discussing.  I also think its reasonable to assume Boston would have some interest in all three of Bummer, Colome and Abreu - but probably not in exchange for one of their best assets.

Also, Abreu is the only impending free agent of those three.  And yes, Beintendi is a much better all around baseball player than Puig and Castellanos.  Castellanos is not an option for the Sox in RF.  If they signed up, it'd be as the primary DH, occasional OF. You cannot have an OF with Eloy and Castellanos in it.      

I'm Very interested to see what Castellanos And Schwarber look like opposite each other. 

Just now, elrockinMT said:

Why would you even consider giving up three Major League quality players for one? I can’t see why we would add Benitendi when we have minor league outfield talent ready to come up

One is 25 and controlled until 2023

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pods and Dye weren’t exactly gold glovers with the Sox and I expect Robert to be better than Rowand in CF.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Pods and Dye weren’t exactly gold glovers with the Sox and I expect Robert to be better than Rowand in CF.

Scott Podsednik was a really good defensive LF during his peak years. He was iffy in CF but did not play there full time with us.

I can’t imagine the Red Sox are seriously considering trading Beinentendi. His value is down, and he’s low cost controlled. Even if it was a serious possibility, I’m not sure it really makes much sense for the Sox to land him considering what it is going to cost to get him. He’s mostly used as a LF/CF, and that’s arguably the most locked down positions right now for the Sox.

31 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Lol,...not sure if joking..

If the Sox could get Beinintendi for Abreu, Colome and Bummer, he'd be in CF in Chicago tonight.  

And we have no minor league OF depth that is ready to play RF next season (with Robert in CF).  After Robert, really none of the OF prospects have progressed as hoped, and certainly none are ready for MLB action in 2020.  Best case, Rutherford comes up in 2021, or Adolfo has a monster start to next season and is ready by mid-summer, but both of those guys are major question marks at this point.  And this is coming from one of, if not the biggest, Adolfo believer on this board.  Basabe is not a completely cooked goose at this point, but hard to really expect much from him at this point.  He could have been in CF by now if he'd played decently this season - but an injury, and a pretty poor season to date has ruined that opportunity for him. 

Edited by ChiSox59

23 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Anyways, I think the Sox sign Puig this winter to play RF next year, the obvious Cuban connection and a guy the Sox have long admired or so it seems.

LF - Eloy, CF - Robert, RF - Puig

looks a hell of a lot better than what they put out there this year.

If the price is right sure but Puig at this point is a flashier Avi.  He's a 2 WAR RF that is aging poorly.  As a placeholder for someone else I'd offer him 3 years 30 million take it or leave it.  I doubt he gets anything more than 3 years guaranteed or an AAV above 10 million.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol,...not sure if joking..

If the Sox could get Beinintendi for Abreu, Colome and Bummer, he'd be in CF in Chicago tonight.  

And we have no minor league OF depth that is ready to play RF next season (with Robert in CF).  After Robert, really none of the OF prospects have progressed as hoped, and certainly none are ready for MLB action in 2020.  Best case, Rutherford comes up in 2021, or Adolfo has a monster start to next season and if ready by mid-summer, but both of those guys are major question marks at this point.  And this is coming from one of, if not the biggest, Adolfo believer on this board. 

I agree RF is a black hole but I think they will fill it rather affordably in a few months with a Puig signing. Makes a ton of sense for both sides. I’m not saying Puig is better than Benintendi, simply that he only costs $$$ rather than prospect currency (which is what Colome and Bummer are considering they could be traded for prospects otherwise) and the Sox will provide him with a comfortable environment surrounded by fellow Cubans Robert, Abreu, and Moncada.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

If the price is right sure but Puig at this point is a flashier Avi.  He's a 2 WAR RF that is aging poorly.  As a placeholder for someone else I'd offer him 3 years 30 million take it or leave it.  I doubt he gets anything more than 3 years guaranteed or an AAV above 10 million.

It’s not saying much but Puig would be a huge upgrade from what the Sox have thrown out in RF this year. I’d do 3/30. What is that worth on the open market 3.5 expected WAR over the life of the contract? Yea, seems about right to me and low risk all things considered. 

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

How is Puig aging poorly? Save for his rookie year, he has been pretty steady 

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I agree RF is a black hole but I think they will fill it rather affordably in a few months with a Puig signing. Makes a ton of sense for both sides. I’m not saying Puig is better than Benintendi, simply that he only costs $$$ rather than prospect currency (which is what Colome and Bummer are considering they could be traded for prospects otherwise) and the Sox will provide him with a comfortable environment surrounded by fellow Cubans Robert, Abreu, and Moncada.

Puig isn't very good though.  He's been a slightly better than average OF since 2015.  And not to sound like Lillian, but the Sox get so right handed if they add Puig.  Literally the only lefty in the lineup is Moncada at that point.  They really need a good defensive OF that bats left handed if they're looking for a long term fit.

I guess I wouldn't be shocked to see the Sox flirt with Puig on a short term deal if they can't find a RF on the trade market, but he really isn't a very good fit. 

I'd honestly rather just roll with Leury in RF next season unless they could get Puig for like 1/$10M or 2/$18M, but that seems unlikely.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Puig isn't very good though.  He's been a slightly better than average OF since 2015.  And not to sound like Lillian, but the Sox get so right handed if they add Puig.  Literally the only lefty in the lineup is Moncada at that point.  They really need a good defensive OF that bats left handed if they're looking for a long term fit.

I guess I wouldn't be shocked to see the Sox flirt with Puig on a short term deal if they can't find a RF on the trade market, but he really isn't a very good fit. 

He’s actually a perfect fit as a placeholder the next couple years. I sure hope someone from the collective group of minor league outfield prospects emerges by then. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

How is Puig aging poorly? Save for his rookie year, he has been pretty steady 

Look at the back of his baseball card he's been about a 2 WAR guy for years now.  Things change and I was surprised myself when I looked earlier this year on a related topic on another forum I frequent.

.puig.png