Andrew Benintendi Available?

ChiSox59

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He’s actually a perfect fit as a placeholder the next couple years. I sure hope someone from the collective group of minor league outfield prospects emerges by then. 

So you think a lineup with a 1 left handed batter creates good lineup balance?  Literally this would be the lineup in June next year:

Robert CF (R), Moncada 3B (S), Abreu 1B (R), Eloy LF (R), McCann C (R), Puig RF (R), Anderson SS (R), Madrigal 2B (R), INSERT ? DH

If this were the lineup, Leury would probably be in RF and Puig at DH.  But this lineup is just so right handed.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So you think a lineup with a 1 left handed batter creates good lineup balance?  Literally this would be the lineup in June next year:

Robert CF (R), Moncada 3B (S), Abreu 1B (R), Eloy LF (R), McCann C (R), Puig RF (R), Anderson SS (R), Madrigal 2B (R), INSERT ? DH

If this were the lineup, Leury would probably be in RF and Puig at DH.  But this lineup is just so right handed.  

If they can play, I really don’t care. If you want lefties, Collins and Reed have a good chance of making the roster next year.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If they can play, I really don’t care. If you want lefties, Collins and Reed have a good chance of making the roster next year.

Thing start to matter next season. These are things the organization will care about when trying to win baseball games.  You can't have an everyday lineup that 8/9 dudes are right handed hitters.  

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Look at the back of his baseball card he's been about a 2 WAR guy for years now.  Things change and I was surprised myself when I looked earlier this year on a related topic on another forum I frequent.

.puig.png

Yeah he's not what he was right when he came up but I interpreted "aging poorly" as a steady decline throughout the years. Instead I see a guy who I am confident in pegging as a ~2 WAR player for the next few years 

How about:

Red Sox chose 4 of the following: Bummer, Colome, Abreu, Leury, and Rutherford 

Sox get Benintendi and Rusney Castillo.  Castillo due $11.75M this year and $14.25M next year.  Offsets the money the BoSox are picking up in 2019, and gets Castillo off their books.  Sox could run Castillo out in RF the rest of this season.  Guy sucks, but maybe this is a way for the Sox to get creative to get Benintendi.

Again....doubt Dombrowski blows one of his best assets on something like this, but kind of fun to speculate about. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The Yankees spent most of the first half with an all right handed lineup (except Gardner who was one of their worst hitters). They seemed to manage just fine.

The Yankees legitimately have an all star level player at every position.  These things are not the same.  

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How about:

Sox get Benintendi and Rusney Castillo.  Castillo due $11.75M this year and $14.25M next year.  Offsets the money the BoSox are picking up in 2019, and gets Castillo off their books.  Sox could run Castillo out in RF the rest of this season.  Guy sucks, but maybe this is a way for the Sox to get creative to get Benintendi.

Again....doubt Dombrowski blows one of his best assets on something like this, but kind of fun to speculate about. 

Woof I forgot Rusney Castillo existed

19 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don’t think he’s played RF professionally and his arm grades out to only average.

Robert OTOH has a cannon and could slide to RF. I think Benitendi is passable at CF. 

I would definitely prefer making CF the plus defensive position and not RF.

Benintendis defensive metrics are so hard to read because of the monster. So it's a hard question to answer but I'd take weaker arm in RF and what I believe will be plus plus defense with robert.

Also feels like any deal for Benintendi would occur in offseason and I would imagine would start with Madrigal.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How about:

This would be interesting.

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How about:

Now that is a trade that might get them talking and from that point you could make it work, including sending cash if needed.  Sox need to figure out a way to leverage all their payroll flexibility.

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Yankees legitimately have an all star level player at every position.  These things are not the same.  

That’s why I said if the dudes can hit (I expect Robert, TA, Eloy, Madrigal, Abreu, Puig to hit) then who cares which side of the plate they hit from? Moncada is a switch hitter and feel free to plug in backup catcher/DH Collins and backup 1b/DH Reed against righty starters if you want a more balanced lineup. I’m pretty sure those last two guys are going to be on the team next year. 

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don’t think he’s played RF professionally and his arm grades out to only average.

Robert OTOH has a cannon and could slide to RF. I think Benitendi is passable at CF. 

Or they can leave him in LF, leave Robert in CF and slide Eloy in RF (his natural position). Hey, we watched Jermaine Dye try and play defense out there for years with his range... Just sucks that Adolfo got injured (again). Probably the only guy I feel would've developed nicely enough to be considered "in the picture." His range plus his arm... drool.

Edited by SoxAce

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I would definitely prefer making CF the plus defensive position and not RF.

Benintendis defensive metrics are so hard to read because of the monster. So it's a hard question to answer but I'd take weaker arm in RF and what I believe will be plus plus defense with robert.

Also feels like any deal for Benintendi would occur in offseason and I would imagine would start with Madrigal.

Same. It’s a thought but having Robert in CF would allow us to fully utilize his talent.

We can't afford to trade Madrigal for Benintendi to lose 3 years of control for 7...not when Madrigal's suddenly looking like a shoe-in to be at least a 3 fWAR second baseman at the floor of his abilities.

In fact, along with Anderson, those two are set up to be the leaders/co-captains of this franchise for many years to come.  There's a million things that Madrigal does well that don't show up in the box score and will start to rub off on the rest of the players when they finally start to turn the corner at .500 and above baseball at some point next season.  He'll bring a lot of the same qualities as Pods/Iguchi at the top of the line-up in 2005 (minus the strikeouts).

Benintendi's going to be at a disadvantage as long as they continue to use these baseballs...because he's always been a better pure XB hitter than a home run guy.  And his defense has never graded out that well (obviously, harder to assess with Green Monster, but still 81 road games per year as well.)

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

We can't afford to trade Madrigal for Benintendi to lose 3 years of control for 7...not when Madrigal's suddenly looking like a shoe-in to be at least a 3 fWAR second baseman at the floor of his abilities.

In fact, along with Anderson, those two are set up to be the leaders/co-captains of this franchise for many years to come.  There's a million things that Madrigal does well that don't show up in the box score and will start to rub off on the rest of the players when they finally start to turn the corner at .500 and above baseball at some point next season.  He'll bring a lot of the same qualities as Pods/Iguchi at the top of the line-up in 2005 (minus the strikeouts).

Benintendi's going to be at a disadvantage as long as they continue to use these baseballs...because he's always been a better pure XB hitter than a home run guy.  And his defense has never graded out that well (obviously, harder to assess with Green Monster, but still 81 road games per year as well.)

Madrigal is credited with being a really baseball smart player.  We don't have many of those with the exception of McCann.

Any thought of giving up a bunch of relievers for a guy with less than 5.5 years control who is going to be in arbitration before we're a threat to win a title is a very bad idea.

We need to definitely not go after Benintendi. 

Our relievers should be shopped for multiple prospects who have higher ceilings as position players, starting pitchers, or closers.  We need a Luzardo, Felipe Vazquez, we need to find a Van Wagonen or whatever to give us a Kelenic, etc.  

Also I am going to guess that if Benintendi is out there, Dombrowski is trying to get an ace similar to trading Austin Jackson in the Price deal or similar to the Cespedes for Lester deal.  He's probably trying to get creative for a big name SP.  We do not have that unless we talk Gio, and there is no way I would trade Gio to Boston with their system the way it is.

I would however be interested in picking up Groome from them.  We can eat Pearce's shitty deal, give them Goins who would be useful for them, and some other small pieces if necessary, on top of an Abreu deal.  Groome's ceiling is worth it if he's healthy, though the more we would add, the more pieces we would need back.  And I am actually unhappy to see them DFA Nunez because his bad deal and Pearce's bad deal would have been a good start to an Abreu deal.

5 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I don't think he is great, but Corey Dickerson would be a nice quality stopgap solution.

I would hope we add more elsewhere if he is set to be the RF addition but I agree that he makes sense for a few reasons.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

That would be a very good offseason and it's doable.

If you think Cole/Grandal/Oznua ++ is doable you're going to be very disappointed. Cole is the best SP on the market. He's going to have a dozen options and get a contract near 200M. Only one team gets him. Grandal is the only top tier catcher available and great solutions behind the plate dont often hit the market. Ozuna is a good middle of the order bat. This a whole lot for one offseason with a generally weak free agent class. I think Sox should be in on Grandal and while I wouldn't target Ozuna it wouldn't be that "out there" if the Sox looked into him. That said, Cole (along with Rendon), is the prize of the offseason. The Sox don't just decide the want him and get him.

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

How about:

I would be completely shocked if the Red Sox moved Benintendi. That said, the level of creativity and thought you put forth to make some scenario that could almost be feasible for both sides is impressive. Very nice post. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, caulfield12 said:

That would be insane.  Just ridiculous- the kind of clowning that put the Sox exactly in this position.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

That would be insane.  Just ridiculous- the kind of clowning that put the Sox exactly in this position.

And you just know that Madrigal would somehow manage to outproduce Dustin Pedroia's career numbers and be even more beloved by Red Sox fans, lol...

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And you just know that Madrigal would somehow manage to outproduce Dustin Pedroia's career numbers and be even more beloved by Red Sox fans, lol...

You know it.
This would just another stupid contrivance like the Shark trade that had nothing to do with the serious business of building a baseball operation, but which seriously depleted assets.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, ChiSox59 said:

How about:

I love fan trades. Living in Boston area I heard a fan say yesterday he would  trade Benintendi to  Chicago for Colome, Eloy, and  Cease.  Gives you an idea how the other side thinks. 

I doubt Benintendi is moved for many reasons.  They are basically limited to a WC shot so I don't see them purging any top assets till offseason.