7/22 Games

soxfan49

13 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Who was that player?

Not an inspiring list :) 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&lg=30&stats=bat&qual=y&type=0&team=&season=2006&seasonEnd=2019&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=true&players=&sort=14,1

Cortney Boran, Red Sox, DSL

However, if you include all the way until 2005 with only players 16 and 17 and sort by wRC+, Bailey is 5th. Players like Candelario, Jorge Bonifacio, Julio Rodriguez, Estuiry Ruiz, Victor Robles and Estevan Florial show up in the top 25 of that list. His is much more BB driven, but Robles had a similar (but better) iso and worse walk percentage. So his performance does stand out.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bmags said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&lg=30&stats=bat&qual=y&type=0&team=&season=2006&seasonEnd=2019&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=true&players=&sort=14,1

However, if you include all the way until 2005 with only players 16 and 17 and sort by wRC+, Bailey is 5th. Players like Candelario, Jorge Bonifacio, Julio Rodriguez, Estuiry Ruiz, Victor Robles and Estevan Florial show up in the top 25 of that list. His is much more BB driven, but Robles had a similar (but better) iso and worse walk percentage. So his performance does stand out.

What made him such an uninteresting signing?

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

What made him such an uninteresting signing?

Could have been a late bloomer. If he wasn't identified early may have fallen through cracks, and I don't know how scouted panama is vs. others.

Bailey's numbers despite being in the DSL are incredible. In fact, his numbers are just as good as Robert (if not better) and he's a couple of years younger than he was at the time. I honestly feel he would be fine in Kannapolis next season. I think he's too advanced for the rookie league plus he won't start the season at a later time. But I can definitely see the Sox taking it slow with him cause of his age. I just don't see the sense personally.

• Like 1

Absolutely LOVE seeing Madrigal get a hit there. Wood was very good (which was expected) and that was a hell of a test. Did not look overmatched in any of his ABs (again you can say, was expected since he rarely strikes out)

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I think Madrigal is going to take some lumps early in his ML career to adjust to big league pitching, but it won’t take very long for him to start slapping the ball around. Of course the power is going to be the main concern, but I think the guy can hit at any level. He’s just got a very advanced hit tool. 

Not calling you out Tony because I agree but I keep seeing posts from some folks talking about his "lack" of power. My personal opinion is that if a guy hits .300 with some doubles, triples and get 175 hits or so a season AND plays his position well, I don't care if he "only" hits eight home runs.

Sure the Sox need some power guys but after the past several seasons three or four 300 hitters in the lineup would be a very refreshing change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Not calling you out Tony because I agree but I keep seeing posts from some folks talking about his "lack" of power. My personal opinion is that if a guy hits .300 with some doubles, triples and get 175 hits or so a season AND plays his position well, I don't care if he "only" hits eight home runs.

Sure the Sox need some power guys but after the past several seasons three or four 300 hitters in the lineup would be a very refreshing change.

I don't think there would be concern of a lack of power if he's getting 8 HRs a year. I think the concern is that it would be mildly surprising for him to reach 8 HRs in a year. The power projection could be *that* low. We're potentially talking a Scott Podsednik-esque 3 HRs in two seasons with an ISO well below .100. And Madrigal won't steal bases like Pods and might not walk as much either (though he should hit for a higher average to cancel out those two things). Pods was one of my favorite players, but the margin for error on guys like that is tough. Madrigal really could use *some* power.

4 hours ago, danman31 said:

I don't think there would be concern of a lack of power if he's getting 8 HRs a year. I think the concern is that it would be mildly surprising for him to reach 8 HRs in a year. The power projection could be *that* low. We're potentially talking a Scott Podsednik-esque 3 HRs in two seasons with an ISO well below .100. And Madrigal won't steal bases like Pods and might not walk as much either (though he should hit for a higher average to cancel out those two things). Pods was one of my favorite players, but the margin for error on guys like that is tough. Madrigal really could use *some* power.

You’re vastly underselling his power potential IMO, especially when you factor in the juiced ball.  I think he settles around 10 HR’s a year ultimately with plenty of doubles & triples.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re vastly underselling his power potential IMO, especially when you factor in the juiced ball.  I think he settles around 10 HR’s a year ultimately with plenty of doubles & triples.

It's not a bouncy ball though. It reduces drag on fly balls, but he doesn't hit many of them.

I'm thrilled that Madrigals game has been so successful to date, but he has only hit 11 home runs over the last 4 years. I think he may hit 10 when he gets to his 26+ years, but hopefully he can keep above a .100 iso at the majors levels which would be a decent amount of doubles and triples.

9 hours ago, danman31 said:

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree with the settles at 10 HRs when he's 27/28. I see him around about 300/360/410 every year, with great D, and above average base running. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It's not a bouncy ball though. It reduces drag on fly balls, but he doesn't hit many of them.

I'm thrilled that Madrigals game has been so successful to date, but he has only hit 11 home runs over the last 4 years. I think he may hit 10 when he gets to his 26+ years, but hopefully he can keep above a .100 iso at the majors levels which would be a decent amount of doubles and triples.

FYI Podsednik's ISO in the minors were fairly similar to what Madrigal's are now. I doubt we see the dip in Madrigal's ISO in his age 23 season or whenever he moves to AAA/MLB. Their AA #s are vastly different though.

1994 - .057

1995 - .012

1996 - .034

1997 - .075 (21 y/o)

1998 - .101 (22 y/o)

1999 - .045 (23 y/o)

2000 - .100 (24 y/o)

2001 - .119 (25 y/o)

Madrigal

2018 - .045 (21 y/o)

2019 - .111 (22 y/o)

Pods at AA (360 ABs) - 217/297/292. 589 OPS

Madrigal at AA (131 ABs) - 366/432/489. 920 OPS

43 minutes ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

I agree with the settles at 10 HRs when he's 27/28. I see him around about 300/360/410 every year, with great D, and above average base running. 

FYI Podsednik's ISO in the minors were fairly similar to what Madrigal's are now. I doubt we see the dip in Madrigal's ISO in his age 23 season or whenever he moves to AAA/MLB. Their AA #s are vastly different though.

1994 - .057

1995 - .012

1996 - .034

1997 - .075 (21 y/o)

1998 - .101 (22 y/o)

1999 - .045 (23 y/o)

2000 - .100 (24 y/o)

2001 - .119 (25 y/o)

Madrigal

2018 - .045 (21 y/o)

2019 - .111 (22 y/o)

Pods at AA (360 ABs) - 217/297/292. 589 OPS

Madrigal at AA (131 ABs) - 366/432/489. 920 OPS

It's why I am so pleased with his BB rate increasing as he moves up. More likely he can refine his approach to increase his obp than pop based on his sample so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Harvin Mendoza 2-3 with BB. Season walk rate is 11.6% wOBA of .416 and wRC+ of 146. He's in his age 20 season and has hit in every season (2 in DSL, now 2 in AZL). Challenge this kid. 

He's in Great Falls. My guess is Vaughn starts next season AA with Zangari getting 1B at Winston-Salem and Abbott and Mendoza both in Kannapolis. I wouldn't be opposed to Mendoza getting a taste of Kanny to end the year though. 

On 7/22/2019 at 1:25 PM, Markbilliards said:

That's 40 BBs in 36 games in Bailey.  In the last 14 years (all that BR shows) the most BBs a player has had in a season is 61.  Bailey is on pace to beat that. 

On 7/22/2019 at 1:52 PM, bmags said:

Sorry to bump an old thread but I wanted to thank you guys for commenting about this. This morning I wrote about Bailey's season, and this discussion led me to the realization that Bailey's OBP is literally the best all-time in the Dominican Summer League.

https://soxon35th.com/white-sox-prospect-benyamin-bailey-has-the-highest-on-base-percentage-in-dominican-summer-league-history/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Sorry to bump an old thread but I wanted to thank you guys for commenting about this. This morning I wrote about Bailey's season, and this discussion led me to the realization that Bailey's OBP is literally the best all-time in the Dominican Summer League.

https://soxon35th.com/white-sox-prospect-benyamin-bailey-has-the-highest-on-base-percentage-in-dominican-summer-league-history/

Awesome, so cool to see all the soxtalk posters finding platforms.

• Like 1