Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

Things I would do this off season:

Resign Abreu 2 years/25 million and McCann to 2 years/15 million

Go hard after Puig and Grandal.  Getting them would make teams hate playing us.  The electricity our lineup would have with the youngsters and swag combined with the power and speed would be great.

On the pitching side, I'd go after Wood and Pineda.  Wood can always turn into a swing guy because who knows how long he'll hold up injury wise.  Plus, Kopech, Cease and Rodon might all be on innings limits next year.

CF Robert
3B Moncada
1B Abreu
LF Eloy
C Grandal/McCann
RF Puig
DH Collins or Reed
SS Anderson
2B Madrigal

32 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Things I would do this off season:

Resign Abreu 2 years/25 million and McCann to 2 years/15 million

Go hard after Puig and Grandal.  Getting them would make teams hate playing us.  The electricity our lineup would have with the youngsters and swag combined with the power and speed would be great.

On the pitching side, I'd go after Wood and Pineda.  Wood can always turn into a swing guy because who knows how long he'll hold up injury wise.  Plus, Kopech, Cease and Rodon might all be on innings limits next year.

CF Robert
3B Moncada
1B Abreu
LF Eloy
C Grandal/McCann
RF Puig
DH Collins or Reed
SS Anderson
2B Madrigal

I'd take Grandal's money and upgrade your pitcher to Bum or Stras AND Wood. If you still have money then bring in one of those one year 35 year old DH types. 

You know, I think bumgarner actually is the prime guy to go after. He likely will not be your ace though you will pay him like it, but for a young team, getting this larger than life player to come in and lead their next step to contention makes a lot of sense to target. And he's lefty.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

You know, I think bumgarner actually is the prime guy to go after. He likely will not be your ace though you will pay him like it, but for a young team, getting this larger than life player to come in and lead their next step to contention makes a lot of sense to target. And he's lefty.

I have a hard time seeing him leaving the NL and he’s the kinda guy stubborn enough to take a pay cut to do it. 

There's also an element of JR sucks but he is attracted to stars even if they are clearly crappy now and other players are better. 

The starf****** offseason would be Bumgarner, trade for Greinke, and then modest upgrades on offense. That provides two namey mcnamersons, only one long term, gives nice depth to rotation that allows kopech/rodon to ease in and let Cease/Drigo battle it out.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I have a hard time seeing him leaving the NL and he’s the kinda guy stubborn enough to take a pay cut to do it. 

This, and also he's a horrible clubhouse fit for this team in particular, IMO. I feel like he'd clash with Anderson and some of the other young guys due to his "respect the game" mentality. That said, if Martin Maldonado can be traded to the Cubs and (so far) avoid drama with Contreras/Baez, I guess anything can happen 

Just now, mqr said:

yes, all of this is true. But also maybe we can sway him by giving him a hunting bow and an ATV.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

This, and also he's a horrible clubhouse fit for this team in particular, IMO. I feel like he'd clash with Anderson and some of the other young guys due to his "respect the game" mentality. That said, if Martin Maldonado can be traded to the Cubs and (so far) avoid drama with Contreras/Baez, I guess anything can happen 

I think people overrate this, he would also protect his teammates. It's the same way the royals could be huge jerks about others celebrating while celebrating themselves.

His most recent comment on it was "I get that people can do it, but I don't have to like it" and that's fine.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I think this would be fine actually. It''s not like Anderson would be pimping home runs off Bumgarner.

I believe he's said as much, that he doesn't mind that stuff but can't stand when people do it to him. 

Just now, mqr said:

I think this would be fine actually. It''s not like Anderson would be pimping home runs off Bumgarner.

I believe he's said as much, that he doesn't mind that stuff but can't stand when people do it to him. 

Yep, exactly.

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you including Abreu in that $50M?

Nope, Abreu was not included.  $50M is probably a tad high - perhaps closer to $45M if they non-tender Yolmer, but its in the ballpark.

Point is, average MLB payroll is $135M.  Sox could add Cole ($30M AAV), Grandal ($20M), Wood (8-10M AAV), Abreu ($8-10M AAV), and 2 relievers ($15M AAV) and still have a below average payroll.  While obviously I'd love to see that happen, it won't.  But the point is, at some point the Sox are going to add some serious payroll.  My hope is that they do it by adding a few elite players, rather several over the hill meh veterans as they have done in the past.  I am hopeful that they'll change their ways with a legit 5-7 year contention window ahead, but I understand those that say "I'll believe it when I see it".   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nope, Abreu was not included.  $50M is probably a tad high - perhaps closer to $45M if they non-tender Yolmer, but its in the ballpark.

Point is, average MLB payroll is $135M.  Sox could add Cole ($30M AAV), Grandal ($20M), Wood (8-10M AAV), Abreu ($8-10M AAV), and 2 relievers ($15M AAV) and still have a below average payroll.  While obviously I'd love to see that happen, it won't.  But the point is, at some point the Sox are going to add some serious payroll.  My hope is that they do it by adding a few elite players, rather several over the hill meh veterans as they have done in the past.  I am hopeful that they'll change their ways with a legit 5-7 year contention window ahead, but I understand those that say "I'll believe it when I see it".   

This is how I feel. I completely agree with you.

You know what I really want to see? The White Sox bring Cole and Boras in at the winter meetings, they make their usual presentation, run him through their team goals, the meetings with the manager, etc. Boras then says "ok, make us a contract offer". The White Sox hand Cole an offer sheet for 5/$75 million. Boras immediately turns around and hands the White Sox an already-prepared bill for the time he spent sitting in the room, and tells them they owe him for the time they just wasted as he walks out, leaving them dumbfounded. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Worst White Sox front office fanfiction ever.

Yeah, where have we seen a front office play a ridiculous game of cat and mouse waiting game with a top free agent, only to watch him finally get the offer he was waiting for the entire time and that was made known to the public with another team, leaving the Sox front office looking like clowns?

Oh yeah, just last offseason...

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

All I‘m saying is if your fanfiction doesn‘t get weirdly sexual, I am not interested in reading it.

The Sox don’t guarantee sexual favors.  Those are only based on plate appearances reached in the 8th and 9th years of a contract.

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You know what I really want to see? The White Sox bring Cole and Boras in at the winter meetings, they make their usual presentation, run him through their team goals, the meetings with the manager, etc. Boras then says "ok, make us a contract offer". The White Sox hand Cole an offer sheet for 5/$75 million. Boras immediately turns around and hands the White Sox an already-prepared bill for the time he spent sitting in the room, and tells them they owe him for the time they just wasted as he walks out, leaving them dumbfounded. 

But, but .... seat at the table .....

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am hopeful that they'll change their ways with a legit 5-7 year contention window ahead, but I understand those that say "I'll believe it when I see it".   

50 bonus points awarded to you for actually respecting an opposing viewpoint on Soxtalk!

21 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

All I‘m saying is if your fanfiction doesn‘t get weirdly sexual, I am not interested in reading it.

Cole walks in, a sexy werewolf in a buttondown silk shirt, and sits next to Hahn, a sexy vampire with a large hat.

Suddenly, all eyes turned when Jim Thome, a sexy mix between Mr Incredible and Shrek, bursts forward and starts shaking cole in his arms like a baby rattle."

• Haha 1

Cole walks in, a sexy werewolf in a buttondown silk shirt, and sits next to Hahn, a sexy vampire with a large hat.

Suddenly, all eyes turned when Jim Thome, a sexy mix between Mr Incredible and Shrek, bursts forward and starts shaking cole in his arms like a baby rattle."

You, you seem to have some experience with this.

I've been writing a blog with white sox fanfic called The Pale Hose for years but haven't gained much readership

I wanted to like your post, but none of the 4 icon options accurately describe what I'm feeling right now.

• Like 1