Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

3 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Our team need is a starting pitcher that can be relied on to have an ERA 3.5 or lower and pitch 200 IP.  

So yes, we need a big free agent signing to have any shot next year

The drop off from Cole to #2 on the FA list at this point is substantial...

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:23 AM, Jack Parkman said:

That being said, Fulmer has had 3 separate 2 week looks and sucked, and Collins had a 3 week look and had 2  hits, looking completely overmatched in the process. He was struggling to even make contact the majority of his PA. In his AB, he had a 53.8 K%. Kind of tells you all you need to know. 

As far as Collins goes, 25-30 ABs is nothing. It will be hard for him to get plate appearances with McCann catching a lot. They might as well DH him

and back up at catcher the rest of the year.

14 minutes ago, zisk said:

As far as Collins goes, 25-30 ABs is nothing. It will be hard for him to get plate appearances with McCann catching a lot. They might as well DH him

and back up at catcher the rest of the year.

Collins went 2-26. Palka got sent down after going 1-30. Do you think Palka should get more ABs? Palka had a 35% K rate when he got sent down the first time, Collins was at 53%. There is no reason to believe that either are or will be MLB contributors, ever. It wouldn't shock me if Collins never made it to the Majors again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Collins went 2-26. Palka got sent down after going 1-30. Do you think Palka should get more ABs? Palka had a 35% K rate when he got sent down the first time, Collins was at 53%. There is no reason to believe that either are or will be MLB contributors, ever. It wouldn't shock me if Collins never made it to the Majors again. 

Lets not forget how Ventura’s career started out.

Highly unlikely there’s a repeat, but we owe the fans more of an opportunity for our own home-grown first rounder than AJ Reed is currently receiving.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

So after a 3 year NCAA career where his per 162 average was 33 doubles, 36 homers and 151 walks...

And after 1100 minor league at bats where his 162 average was 31 doubles, 24 homers and 129 walks...  

and with him being only 24 playing one of the hardest positions on the field...   

And you have completely written him off because of 26 at bats in 9 games spread out over a month?   He'll never make it to the Majors again???  That is a weird take.  Are you talking about Zack Collins or is there another Collins you are slamming?   Weren't you also a huge hater on Madrigal?  The site would be better without loud apocalyptic predictions about important players in the rebuild based on a couple of major league games.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

So after a 3 year NCAA career where his per 162 average was 33 doubles, 36 homers and 151 walks...

And after 1100 minor league at bats where his 162 average was 31 doubles, 24 homers and 129 walks...  

And you have completely written him off because of 26 at bats in 9 games spread out over a month?   He'll never make it to the Majors again???  That is a weird take.  Are you talking about Zack Collins or is there another Collins you are slamming?   Weren't you also a huge hater on Madrigal?  The site would be better without loud apocalyptic predictions about important players in the rebuild based on a couple of major league games.      

So what’s your prediction going forward for this guy?  Next year he’ll no longer be “only 24”, but rather 25, which is starting to get a bit long in the tooth for a former first round draft pick to not have cemented a spot as a starter at the big league level.  

In other words, when will these nifty 162 game average stats start making their way to the White Sox?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Collins hit .234 in high A, and hasn't hit over .240 except for in low A and the bandbox that is Charlotte/AAA this year. (He didn't even hit above .260 in either case) What in the ever loving world makes people think he's ever going to make enough contact to be an MLB contributor? 

Also, RE: Madrigal, I was concerned about his power with wood bats last year, but I had no idea he had a wrist injury at Oregon St. Ever since that healed up he's answered all of my questions about his game other than the "Making outs just to avoid strikeouts" thing. Based on his minor league stats I don't think that is his game, but I have to see him in the Majors first. That is the only question I have completely unanswered by Madrigal. He's a really good prospect and should be a contributor for a long time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Collins hit .234 in high A, and hasn't hit over .240 except for in low A and the bandbox that is Charlotte/AAA this year. (He didn't even hit above .260 in either case) What in the ever loving world makes people think he's ever going to make enough contact to be an MLB contributor? 

Also, RE: Madrigal, I was concerned about his power with wood bats last year, but I had no idea he had a wrist injury at Oregon St. Ever since that healed up he's answered all of my questions about his game other than the "Making outs just to avoid strikeouts" thing. Based on his minor league stats I don't think that is his game, but I have to see him in the Majors first. That is the only question I have completely unanswered by Madrigal. He's a really good prospect and should be a contributor for a long time. 

Catchers take longer to develop offensively, it’s really that simple.  Mitch Garver batted in the .240’s & .250’s as a 24 & 25 year old in A+ & AA respectively and looks what he’s become (even if his current power numbers are unsustainable).  In the juiced ball era, there a place for someone like Collins if he can make even some minor adjustments.  I’m not banking on that happening at this point, but it’s way too early to write him off, especially if he can stick behind the plate in some capacity.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why are you resorting to 1950's era stats...batting average...to evaluate a player that has elite power and OBP potential?  It just seems like you are hating to hate.  In fact in his first taste of highest level minor league pitching he has a .255 batting average with an .861 OPS in AAA...playing catcher...at 24 (bandbox helps power not batting average).   Maybe he won't make it.  There are some things to be concerned about...but to be so adamant that he is a fail seems based on wishing and not evidence (as I don't count 26 at bats over a month in the majors as evidence of anything).  For a swing and miss catcher with power and walks...look at Gary Sanchez of the Yankees.  Was one year younger at AAA with a worse OPS when the Yankees called him up.  He's hitting .229 this year with a 2.2 WAR.  I think Collins could do that.   I think the reason he isn't up now is because McCann had an All star first half.   I think Collins will have a better major league career at catcher than McCann...that's a controversial position but defensible.  I don't think your "he will never make it back to the major leagues" is defensible.     

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Catchers take longer to develop offensively, it’s really that simple.  Mitch Garver batted in the .240’s & .250’s as a 24 & 25 year old in A+ & AA respectively and looks what he’s become (even if his current power numbers are unsustainable).  In the juiced ball era, there a place for someone like Collins if he can make even some minor adjustments.  I’m not banking on that happening at this point, but it’s way too early to write him off, especially if he can stick behind the plate in some capacity.

See Flowers, Tyler....or Narvaez, Omar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Why are you resorting to 1950's era stats...batting average...to evaluate a player that has elite power and OBP potential?  It just seems like you are hating to hate.  In fact in his first taste of highest level minor league pitching he has a .255 batting average with an .861 OPS in AAA...playing catcher...at 24 (bandbox helps power not batting average).   Maybe he won't make it.  There are some things to be concerned about...but to be so adamant that he is a fail seems based on wishing and not evidence (as I don't count 26 at bats over a month in the majors as evidence of anything).  For a swing and miss catcher with power and walks...look at Gary Sanchez of the Yankees.  Was one year younger at AAA with a worse OPS when the Yankees called him up.  He's hitting .229 this year with a 2.2 WAR.  I think Collins could do that.   I think the reason he isn't up now is because McCann had an All star first half.   I think Collins will have a better major league career at catcher than McCann...that's a controversial position but defensible.  I don't think your "he will never make it back to the major leagues" is defensible.     

I question whether he can make enough contact to stick in the Majors. That is why I use BA. There are players who have hit .300 in the minors and can't crack Mendoza in the Majors. Why would you think Collins can when he's hovering in the .240s in the minors? 

His swing is long and slow and he was having issues with 91 mph fastballs. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I question whether he can make enough contact to stick in the Majors. That is why I use BA. There are players who have hit .300 in the minors and can't crack Mendoza in the Majors. Why would you think Collins can when he's hovering in the .240s in the minors? 

His swing is long and slow and he was having issues with 91 mph fastballs. 

That is fine and a reasoned position...that he might have swing and miss issues...so do LOTS of players that are valuable   But to keep ignoring that he is hitting .255, not .240, this year in AAA and to ignore his power numbers and best-in-minors walk rate at a position where hitting is rare...and say that he will never get called up again?  That's just trolling and I'm not sure the point.   

How on earth can anyone be optimistic there will be difference maker signings ?

No one of  that caliber wants to be bothered with Reinsdorf - Sox or Bulls.

They'll do what they always do - play Reinsdorf to leverage better deals elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/29/2019 at 10:23 PM, GradMc said:

How on earth can anyone be optimistic there will be difference maker signings ?

No one of  that caliber wants to be bothered with Reinsdorf - Sox or Bulls.

They'll do what they always do - play Reinsdorf to leverage better deals elsewhere.

But what if Benny the Bull greets Cole at O’Hare during his free agent visit?

• Haha 1

We won't be signing any top of the line guys but we could sign some more Nova types. Hopefully we sign enough that several pan out. I guess there's always the chance Gio, Kopech, Cease, Lopez will be out of this world success stories. time will tell.

What's more important in the OF? Having a CF with elite speed like Robert or the RF having a cannon for an arm? Robert has both. I'm wondering because this lineup really needs some balance, and it might be easier to find a lefty in a guy who plays CF at the moment. 

Also, the more I think about it, the more I think Abreu isn't returning unless he's super cheap and his salary can be justified riding the pine a lot more. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What's more important in the OF? Having a CF with elite speed like Robert or the RF having a cannon for an arm? Robert has both. I'm wondering because this lineup really needs some balance, and it might be easier to find a lefty in a guy who plays CF at the moment. 

Also, the more I think about it, the more I think Abreu isn't returning unless he's super cheap and his salary can be justified riding the pine a lot more. 

The only lefty bats I can see us bringing in are Didi and JDM. Yolmer and Leury may just have to be used to balance us on the fly if need be. I wouldn't move Robert from CF even though he'd be a good RF unless we bring in a CF who can hit a little bit. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The only lefty bats I can see us bringing in are Didi and JDM. Yolmer and Leury may just have to be used to balance us on the fly if need be. I wouldn't move Robert from CF even though he'd be a good RF unless we bring in a CF who can hit a little bit. 

Where's Didi going to play? Didi is interesting if you're moving Anderson to OF. Madrigal will play 2B on tax day 2020. 

JDM bats right handed. 

Edited by Jack Parkman