Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

1 minute ago, Baron said:

The Hahn clip of him ranting about Twitter and then trying to act like he isn't butt hurt about Sox fans not liking their direction was embarrassing. 

Yeah considering how much the fans have supported the rebuild, including after the complete debacle last offseason, it seemed like a petty rant to go on.

17 minutes ago, Baron said:

The Hahn clip of him ranting about Twitter and then trying to act like he isn't butt hurt about Sox fans not liking their direction was embarrassing. 

This is one thing I am confident about. Many fans won't like what the Sox are doing, and the franchise circling the wagons in response to the backlash.

As I have said in other posts, I don't expect the team to merely throw money at the situation. But the club can't expect the fans to stay in love with the rebuild. We're just getting done with a decade with no playoff appearances. There has to be more than just promises.

I don't follow what Hahn says or tweets. I only hope they do something in the offseason to address problems on the field. If they don't sign an expensive free agent, fine. Just do something.

I don't see the point of them actually discussing such things, but I do see his point because it is insane.  The only thing I can see is that it really did hurt the Joc trade or something like that, so there's a tangible negative outcome for the Sox other than their feelings being hurt.

If you don't like the Sox direction, fine, but it's what we have and there's literally no point shouting your opinions on Twitter because no one except Rick Hahn cares. In his mind, he is doing the best he can to complete the task of building a winner so I guess I really can see why he takes it personally. Like him or not, he is doing the best he can, in my opinion. Just roll with it and hope for the best. 

For the rest of it, it's useless. I'd like to see a bunch of Red Sox fan tweets during their little losing streak. Probably worse than any suicide watch we've ever seen around here. 

• Like 2

I get why people would be annoyed that he is talking about this in the first place, but he is 100% right that there is a substantial and growing subset of Sox "fans" on Twitter who have seemingly made it their life mission to incessantly whine about every little thing for no apparent reason while completely ignoring anything that is good. I'm not saying that there is no reason to complain, but they take it to another level and his description of them is pretty accurate. 

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1

Hahn has two huge stains on his track record and a bunch of bad to horrible signings. I think he has convinced himself that Sox fan’s negativity is unwarranted because if he doesn’t he has to face the fact that he has been very bad at his job. In that clip he comes off as someone who knows he sucks but wants to convince everyone that he’s not the problem. Embarrassing 

1 hour ago, Baron said:

The guy has been the GM for 7 years, they have never been .500. never finished closer than 16 1/2 games out of first place, are collectively almost 150 games under .500, and he's talking about twitter. 

He's a bright guy. There is a way to shut twitter up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Listening to the Hahn podcast, if you read between the lines, Cole is not happening this offseason.  He was talking about not being able to control where they went to college or married someone from a particular area.

Not necessarily. He addressed the Cole question by saying look at what other rebuilding organizations have done in the past to bolster contention, going out and getting top end starting pitching. Who knows if we would be serious suitors, but Sox absolutely should kick the tires on Gerrit Cole this offseason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Listening to the Hahn podcast, if you read between the lines, Cole is not happening this offseason.  He was talking about not being able to control where they went to college or married someone from a particular area.

I haven't listened to the podcost - but what does that have to do with Cole? 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I haven't listened to the podcost - but what does that have to do with Cole? 

"No stone will be left unturned" 

He basically said they will look to acquire starting pitching, whether via trade or free agency. He said it could be top tier or more along mid rotation lines. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yeah considering how much the fans have supported the rebuild, including after the complete debacle last offseason, it seemed like a petty rant to go on.

I would say - at least the most vocal group - whether or not that is a small minority is hard to say, have seemingly turned on the rebuild this year.  I would even say that a decent chunk of the bloggers now just have a negative tone with anything to do with the White Sox.  Obviously they're all big fans, but I do think there is a group here  (which I mentioned the other day as well) and on Twitter that seem like they're rooting for this thing fail to say I told ya so.  So I don't necessarily disagree with what Hahn said from the short snippet that was posted on twitter, but he probably should be keeping that to himself.  That being said, it did appear to be a fairly informal podcast/interview, so its hard to skewer him for trying to be candid.   

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

"No stone will be left unturned" 

He basically said they will look to acquire starting pitching, whether via trade or free agency. He said it could be top tier or more along mid rotation lines. 

How does that indicate that when reading between the lines, Cole isn't happening, as Fathom said? 

59 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I get why people would be annoyed that he is talking about this in the first place, but he is 100% right that there is a substantial and growing subset of Sox "fans" on Twitter who have seemingly made it their life mission to incessantly whine about every little thing for no apparent reason while completely ignoring anything that is good. I'm not saying that there is no reason to complain, but they take it to another level and his description of them is pretty accurate. 

Yes, this exactly.  And sadly, even the more prominent and well known guys are doing it now.  

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would say - at least the most vocal group - whether or not that is a small minority is hard to say, have seemingly turned on the rebuild this year.  I would even say that a decent chunk of the bloggers now just have a negative tone with anything to do with the White Sox.  Obviously they're all big fans, but I do think there is a group here  (which I mentioned the other day as well) and on Twitter that seem like they're rooting for this thing fail to say I told ya so.  So I don't necessarily disagree with what Hahn said from the short snippet that was posted on twitter, but he probably should be keeping that to himself.  That being said, it did appear to be a fairly informal podcast/interview, so its hard to skewer him for trying to be candid.   

It;s not turning on the rebuild per se. It's everything that goes with it. Kopech is throwing a lighter ball 110 mph during an offseason and he winds up needing TJS. Gee, who would have guessed that. Give Ricky boy another year. A couple more injuries, that doesn't happen to other teams, give him until at least 2021. Trevor Rosenthal had TJ, he can still throw 100, but can't throw a strike. Does every expect Dunning, Kopech, Rodon, to come back like nothing happened? 30% of pitchers in MLB have had TJS. So it happening to White Sox pitchers shouldn't be a pity party. I still see a team that actually bats Jon Jay clean up. Sorry, I expected the rebuild to be a little farther along at this point, especially considering they traded 3 guys for a bunch of prospects, many that were considered major league ready at the time. We are still at a point where a ton has to go right. A ton. 

Eventually, they will get to the point they were earlier in Hahn's reign of terror, and will have to add major league pieces. Sorry if I am more than skeptical, but I am using past results as an indication of future results. 

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Not on Twitter but don't tell me how to be a fan or consume your product,  just thank me for doing it

The point is that people who take hours out of their days to complain about Kevan Smith, Alcides Escobar, and the Field of Dreams game aren't really fans. If you're gonna complain, at least complain about something that matters 

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't know if that is the point. I think the bigger point is, go look at a gamethread. Go look at some posters history on this board or Twitter. You're committing hours upon hours on a product that clearly makes you unhappy. At some point, the problem isn't the product, the problem is on you. Go outside. Go read a book. Go spend time with your family. Stop being angry online. It's bad for your health. And yes...in this case I'm telling someone how to be a fan. Don't like it? Oh well, you were probably going to be upset about something else anyway. 

Yes, but Rick Hahn hasn't done much to make people who get happy when the White Sox win, happy. He has contributed to the misery in a huge way. I have complained about people complaining, but at some point, they have a point. Rick needs to show people, not tell them.

They need to get off of the 2005 gives them a lifetime pass BS. 

I just got an email from my rep concerning 2020 ticket renewal. Now bat flipping is excitement #1. 

On behalf of the White Sox, I want to thank you for your support so far this season. You have witnessed some exciting moments like TA's bat flip, Giolito's All-Star performance, and Eloy's major-league debut. Although 2019 isn't over yet, we are already excited about 2020!

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't know if that is the point. I think the bigger point is, go look at a gamethread. Go look at some posters history on this board or Twitter. You're committing hours upon hours on a product that clearly makes you unhappy. At some point, the problem isn't the product, the problem is on you. Go outside. Go read a book. Go spend time with your family. Stop being angry online. It's bad for your health. And yes...in this case I'm telling someone how to be a fan. Don't like it? Oh well, you were probably going to be upset about something else anyway. 

It's that too. I interpreted his message as being aimed at SoxMachine and people with that mentality, but I agree that it applies to people you described too. 

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Just for those who don't know what I'm talking about. 

He's not wrong. We've seen it on this site. There are several posters who'd rather be right than be wrong and have the Sox be good. The discourse on this site has gone downhill tremendously over the last few years. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

It doesn't make people like that angry. People like that enjoy being negative. They thrive in that environment. They're the same people at your workplace who do nothing but b**** and moan. Nobody wants to be around them, so the internet is perfect because they can find echo chambers of like-minded people. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Rick Hahn has had a terrible run. It's not really up for debate. I consume WAY less White Sox baseball on a daily basis because of it. When/if they start to turn the corner, they will receive more of my attention. But I'm also not going to spend my nights crying on a message board about how bad Dylan Covey is. There is like 900 other things I'd rather do with my time, and you should too. 

Everyone knows twitter and the rest of social media is rather toxic when you are not perfect. Maybe Rick needs to stop reading twitter. Why is that not an option?