Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t think you can assume McCann will be a good enough starter next season just yet. His numbers after the Allstar break are more like his career stats.  Adding Grandal and a decent RF would make a huge impact to the lineup for next season, along with Robert and Madrigal joining it shortly after the season starts.

The Sox need 2 starting pitchers, a RF, a catcher, and bullpen help.

Everyone is high on Grandal and low on McCann since his post All-Star drop. But check out Grandal's 2nd half stats the last few years. His production takes a sizable drop as well. Good thing is Grandal has post season experience . Bad thing is he has hit.107 for his career in 75+ABS. If you sign Grandal, I think you have to reduce his games played to see if he is breaking down late every year.  Every team has a weak offensive spot which you hope is a real plus defender. Maybe  we live w McCann( if he re-signs) and spend the money elsewhere.   

Edited by SCCWS

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

Of course you can't assume that. But they're not going to upgrade half the team. It might be a bit of a pick your poison thing. If they sign Grandal to replace McCann, but ignore signing a big name pitcher, are you fine with that then?

You are absolutely right. There have to be priorities , The Sox need to recognize this and act accordingly. The Sox have some of the worst production in the league at DH despite having a seemingly endless supply of bad fielders  A huge upgrade there could be Abreu if only the Sox had the balls to tell him he will be DHing the majority of the time if he wants to stay with the Sox. Then they could sign a better fielding guy to play 1st who hopefully can provide offense as good is not better than ABreu. Despite many being down on him it isn't easy to replace his bat .

Catcher is probably the 5th position on the list and I'm not real confident the Sox will be signing 5 free agents that will all be as productive as we hope. But we will need upgrades to the lineup too so Grandal may be one the more realistic options there too. I'd love Rendon at 3rd base and then up hugely upgrade 2nd base by moving Moncada there. I know Moncada's offensive production has coincided with the switch in positions but the 2 probably are not related and he should be able to continue his hitting abilities despite a position change. It would  also provide depth .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Right. But Wheeler might get a $100 mil deal or not far from it as well. Singing Grandal might mean no Wheeler is what i'm getting at.

That's ridiculous. The Sox have like $20 M committed to payroll next year. Yolmer Sanchez is the only arbitration eligible player on their books and everyone else is still pre-Arb. Signing only one of them would be beyond cheap. 

• Like 1

Last year we were lead to believe the Sox actually had enough payroll flexibility to sign Nachado AND Harper. They  both signed for right ar or less than projections,  and the team basically said it couldn't afford either o one in regards to what they signed for. It is nice to dream the Sox will sign ayer X, but until they do, it isn't reasonable to think they will or even might based on previous results. In fact, Hahn emphasized patience for the  next free agent class. What are most teams looking for when they sign free agents late? Bargains. The Sox need a better plan than bargain bin shopping.

45 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's ridiculous. The Sox have like $20 M committed to payroll next year. Yolmer Sanchez is the only arbitration eligible player on their books and everyone else is still pre-Arb. Signing only one of them would be beyond cheap. 

Leury? Colome? Also both arbitration eligible.

Edited by soxfan2014

38 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Leury? Colome? Also both arbitration eligible.

Forgot about them for a minute. Even if you count arb players it only gets them up to 40-45M. Not spending more than that would be unacceptable. 

Next year the only players under definite contract that aren't pre-arb are Jimenez and Herrera. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We can easily afford Grandal & Wheeler.  If I had to guess, they’re looking at deals around 3/$60M & 4/$80M respectively.

Yeah we can sign two good starters, Grandal, and a decent RF and still have money left over to pay salary increases comfortably. 

• Like 1

Leury was such a bargain this season at 1.5 million. Can you believe he was acquired in the Alex Rios deal? Is Leury's 2.2 WAR show he's the best value in baseball this particular season? If the Sox wanted to, they could hang onto Leury and go with Eloy and Robert and Rutherford and if Rutherford is a bust, just throw Leury in there. Leury in LF; and Eloy in right.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Leury was such a bargain this season at 1.5 million. Can you believe he was acquired in the Alex Rios deal? Is Leury's 2.2 WAR show he's the best value in baseball this particular season? If the Sox wanted to, they could hang onto Leury and go with Eloy and Robert and Rutherford and if Rutherford is a bust, just throw Leury in there. Leury in LF; and Eloy in right.

What?

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I was just confused as to why you thought he might be the most valuable player in baseball.

no, the best value for the buck; making pennies but producing quite nicely.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Not even the best value on his own team. Moncada at league Minimum has a 2.9 WAR.

Is Moncada technically league minimum?  He got guaranteed money up front like Robert, which the Sox are paying.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Bumgarner has emphasized he wants to stay in the NL because he loves hitting. The only way he comes to AL if someone severely overpays which we know the White Sox won't do. But at the same time would be happy for the White Sox not to give him a long term deal. 

The Sox might have to overpay to get anyone decent to sign here. 

5 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yolmer should be non-tendered and Leury won’t get much but Colome will get around $10 million.

Based on this season he gets a rather large raise...it has been the concern all along with Yolmer, that they would eventually get expensive for their production level and value to future Sox playoff teams, but Leury at least deserves it this year and is the perfect bench player on a really good or even great team.

Edited by caulfield12