Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Last winter, Buster Olney laughed when people thought the White Sox would sign a premier guy. He isn't a shock guy. He isn't a moron. Until Buster can't laugh anymore, having confidence the White Sox will actually convert on any player of this ilk has to be very low.

Cool.

Just now, poppysox said:

I like Anderson as well as the next guy but "established star" is a stretch.  What I am advocating is you need to move Moncada or for that matter Anderson...move them where you have a need which is right field.  

The problem is that you are doing this for DiDi Gregorious...arguably, not someone like Rendon, because that would force a Yoan move to 2B or RF.

It’s also not like Madrigal can play short.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh so the Nats moved Rendon what a novel concept and he just happened to become one of the best 3rd basemen in the majors . But yet Moncada shouldn't be moved to the OF or back to 2nd base because it might just so happen that it would improve the team greatly. But sure lets keep talking about the finite resources and for a team with a ton of payroll space. After all it's not about winning . I too like Madrigal but let's not pretend he is a sure thing and if Moncada becomes an OF or Rendon plays 3rd and Moncada OF that still leaves room for Madrigal at 2nd base. Plus they could still upgrade the pitching if Rendon was the only expensive position player they go after .

Yeah, and the Sox just moved Moncada and hes been one of the best 3rd baseman in baseball.

Do you think the Nats were going to move Rendon again after he proved his worth at 3rd?

Do you know what finite means because bases on this post I'm not sure you do.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is that you are doing this for DiDi Gregorious...arguably, not someone like Rendon, because that would force a Yoan move to 2B or RF.

It’s also not like Madrigal can play short.

Madrigal could honestly probably play short but his arm would be below. He'd be better than Eckstein over there though. He was a hell of a defensive SS before the best defensive SS in college joined his team.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

At the time, Madrigal had not proven anything in professional baseball. Machado could play third and Moncada would move back to 2nd. Or Machado could play SS, and Tim could play the OF.

Rendon can not play SS.

Over the past year, things have changed too. Players have gotten hurt (pitchers mostly) and position players have taken big steps forward (Madrigal, Tim and Yoan).

While that was true, you don’t draft the most advanced collegiate hitter with the idea he’s not going to be making a pretty quick impact at his natural position.   Surely the scouts weren’t going to abandon their positions based on less than a two month stretch in his draft year following a grueling college season interrupted by multiple injuries.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Anderson will be fine at SS. IMO the problem is he makes spectacular players look easy, and seems to try to make easy plays look spectacular. Once he gets it in his system that he doesn't have to add some flair to the easy ones, he might be GG quality. 

He showed us that last year from like June onward. His defense has taken a step back lately but I'm confident too that he'll get back to that level. 

3 minutes ago, RTC said:

RTC poses hypothetical question: Giant can opened.  Worms everywhere.

Lol well I followed your post by saying it was a great idea and that good teams like TB ,who possibly have the most limited payroll in baseball, have used positional versatility to their advantage along with a great analytical department. Those are 2 areas that the Sox are not great at and I knew there would be plenty of opposition to it. It might be crazy to some but those are areas that need to be explored fully. I don't care if it's your superstar to has that positional versatile or the 2nd best player or 3rd best etc but the Cubs had a high quality player like Zobrist when they won the WS and the Astros had a high quality guy like Marwin Gonzalez when they won the WS also.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So talking about inane you are all for moving Anderson the established star at SS to the OF ( and for the record I would be too because it MIGHT be for the betterment of the team)

*whisper*

it's not

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Lol well I followed your post by saying it was a great idea and that good teams like TB ,who possibly have the most limited payroll in baseball, have used positional versatility to their advantage along with a great analytical department. Those are 2 areas that the Sox are not great at and I knew there would be plenty of opposition to it. It might be crazy to some but those are areas that need to be explored fully. I don't care if it's your superstar to has that positional versatile or the 2nd best player or 3rd best etc but the Cubs had a high quality player like Zobrist when they won the WS and the Astros had a high quality guy like Marwin Gonzalez when they won the WS also.

Or the Angels back in the day with Figgins, etc. 

Royals won with Zobrist, too.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree. Even Kris Bryant plays 3B,  LF and RF, 

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, and the Sox just moved Moncada and hes been one of the best 3rd baseman in baseball.

Do you think the Nats were going to move Rendon again after he proved his worth at 3rd?

Do you know what finite means because bases on this post I'm not sure you do.

Finite meaning limited or having boundary  so yes the Sox have finite resources. Did I miss something ? Or are you just nitpicking again to avoid focusing on the bigger picture like is your way of doing? Even with finite resources they can sign a Rendon and 2 $20M a year starting pitchers.That would equal about a payroll increase of $70M for 2020 . That's doable.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Personally, on the assumption TA can play OF, I'd rather we pursue Gregorious than Rendon. He solves for LH bat w/with 25-30HR potential while providing a huge upgrade at SS. We can assume TA will eventually cut down on the errors, both mental and physical but why risk it when someone like Gregorious might be available at less than half (both AV and # of yrs.) than Rendon? 

Edited by Flash
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or the Angels back in the day with Figgins, etc. 

Royals won with Zobrist, too.

25 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I like Anderson as well as the next guy but "established star" is a stretch.  What I am advocating is you need to move Moncada or for that matter Anderson...move them where you have a need which is right field.  

Then we agree on that regardless of our differing opinions on Anderson. I'm just not ruling out Moncada back to 2nd base because of Madrigal like you are. Positional versatilty is a good thing. Whatever helps the team maximize the finite payroll I am in favor . Gregorious probably a better fit payroll wise than Rendon but the Sox can afford Rendon if they chose to go after him and still afford starting pitchers too. Rendon is also the much better player.

Why in the world would be move our very good young controllable long term SS to the OF (a position he hasn't played in professional bal) for a 30 year old Gregorius?  Its an outside the box thought, but its pretty dang farfetched.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Flash said:

Personally, on the assumption TA can play OF, I'd rather we pursue Gregorious than Rendon. He solves for LH bat w/with 25-30HR potential while providing a huge upgrade at SS. We can assume TA will eventually cut down on the errors, both mental and physical but why risk it when someone like Gregorious might be available at less than half (both AV and # of yrs.) than Rendon? 

Agree with this. I think TA7 is athletic enough to play RF if the Sox were to sign someone like Gregorius to play SS. I wouldn't switch Moncada's position anymore though. He's the best player on the team and clearly comfortable at 3B. Don't mess with that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why in the world would be move our very good young controllable long term SS to the OF (a position he hasn't played in professional bal) for a 30 year old Gregorius?  Its an outside the box thought, but its pretty dang farfetched.  

Because the Sox desperately need a quality right fielder and TA7 is the most likely guy to switch positions. But the Sox would just be better off keeping him where he is and signing an actual right fielder

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Because the Sox desperately need a quality right fielder and TA7 is the most likely guy to switch positions. But the Sox would just be better off keeping him where he is and signing an actual right fielder

Yah. You answered it with your 2nd question.  

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because, when factoring defense and handedness into the equation, a team might feel a TA/Didi combination on their roster is preferred over a TA/Castellano or TA/Ozuna or TA/Leury.  It's Tim freakin' Anderson.  It's not like we're talking about moving Ozzie Smith off of SS.  There's lots of reasons that teams consider things like this.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. Even Kris Bryant plays 3B,  LF and RF, 

Cody Bellinger, Max Muncy, Ketel Marte ........ other teams don't seem to be too concerned that their top players need to stay in one spot

Edited by RTC
  • Like 1