Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Lol...KW should check the free agent list before making these bold statements.  I’m not sure a single free agent fits that description at the moment.  Maybe instead of just winking at Harper during their face-to-face with him he should have handed him a check for $300M.  Now your options are either sign a right handed guy like Ozuna or  trade for a left handed option.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Stone has been talking up kole Calhoun so much it appears be will be the big target.

I can totally see Calhoun hitting below .200 with us. He doesn't hit for a high average to begin with, but knowing our luck with left handed power hitters...

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Stone has been talking up kole Calhoun so much it appears be will be the big target.

Calhoun may not even hit free agency unless the Sox have some intel on that front.  Either way, Calhoun would be such a safe / low upside pickup.  Dude is basically a slightly above league average hitter (who doesn’t even address our OBP problem that much cause of the low BA) and average to slightly below average fielder.  That’s a big improvement over what we got out of RF this year, but man I hope we’re shooting for someone with even a bit of upside.  He’d be a better stopgap than Puig if they’re looking to buy time for the AA outfielders & Walker, but I’d be pissed if they gave him more than a one or two year deal.

There aren't really any suitable MLB free agents. However, there are a few Japanese players, who could fill the hole in RF and have stated intentions of coming to the U. S., in 2020. If he recovers from that awful leg injury, which he suffered this last Spring, Yuki Yanagita would be a very good fit. If not, then perhaps Shogo Akiyama, or Yoshitomo Tsutsugo. They are all left handed power bats,  with very good OBP's, who play right field. Tsutsugo may not be a good enough defender to play RF, but the other two would be plus defenders.

Edited by Lillian

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

There aren't really any suitable MLB free agents. However, there are a few Japanese players, who could fill the hole in RF and have stated intentions of coming to the U. S., in 2020. If he recovers from that awful leg injury, which he suffered this last Spring, Yuki Yanagita would be a very good fit. If not, then perhaps Shogo Akiyama, or Yoshitomo Tsutsugo. They are all left handed power bats,  with very good OBP's, who play right field. Tsutsugo may not be a good enough defender to play RF, but the other two would be plus defenders.

The quest for LH hitting knows no boundaries.

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Calhoun is fine assuming they resign Abreu, sign someone like Grandal to C/DH/1B and sign some SP and bullpen help.  If Abreu and Calhoun are the two biggest AAV adds, add me to the group of people doubting this FO can make this thing work. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lillian said:

Do you have a better suggestion? Dickerson or Calhoun don't look like the answer, to me.

But random Japanese hitters are a better option?  If you don’t like Dickerson or Calhoun, you likely aren’t going to like the bust rate of these Japanese players.

I would be interested in Dickerson but he seems pretty injury-prone.  And I wouldn’t touch Calhoun at all.  A low average hitting 32 year old.  He would be ripe for a massive decline going to the Sox.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But random Japanese hitters are a better option?  If you don’t like Dickerson or Calhoun, you likely aren’t going to like the bust rate of these Japanese players.

I would be interested in Dickerson but he seems pretty injury-prone.  And I wouldn’t touch Calhoun at all.  A low average hitting 32 year old.  He would be ripe for a massive decline going to the Sox.

Calhoun seems like a good fit, but with their history, he definitely comes here and hits like .210, not as many homers as this year. Goes somewhere else and has a similar season to this one lol

• Like 2