Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

8 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Betances is a reliever on the wrong side of 30 who has missed all of 2019 with shoulder and lat issues. I don't get why people want him

Because he’s one of the best relievers in baseball when healthy?  And what stud free agent reliever is going to be on the right side of 30?

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, I’m throwing another offseason plan out there:

• Resign Abreu to 2/$30M deal (with 3rd year team option)
  • Sign Grandal to 3/$60M deal
  • Trade Stiever, Walker, & a lesser prospect for Nimmo
  • Sign Adam Jones to 1/$2.5M deal
  • Sign Wheeler to 4/$80M deal
  • Sign Wood to 1/$11M deal
  • Sign Betences to 2/$30M deal (w/ opt-out after year one)

Roster by end of June:

Lineup:

1. Robert, CF
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Grandal, C#
  5. Jimenez, LF
  6. Nimmo, RF*
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, DH*
  9. Madrigal, 2B

Bench:

• IF: Mendick
  • OF: Jones
  • UT: Garcia#
  • BC: McCann

Rotation:

1. Giolito
  2. Wheeler
  3. Cease
  4. Wood*
  5. Kopech (Lopez in this spot to start the season)

Bullpen:

• CL: Betances
  • SU: Bummer*
  • SU: Colome
  • MR: Lopez
  • MR: Fry*
  • MR: Herrera
  • MR: Cordero / Marshall / Hamilton
  • LR: Fulmer / minor league free agent

This is probably the best and most realistically proposed offseason I have seen.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Thad Bosley said:

No appetite for Madrigal as the lead-off hitter in this soon-to-be future line-up?  Get his on-base skills and base running abilities smack dab at the top of the line-up, thereby pushing all the muscle down a spot to make the line-up particularly strong both at the top and then the middle of the line-up (which would also soon include Vaughn).  This before the team even brings in reinforcements from the outside for other positions.  

Just seems to me Madrigal could be the prototype for the ideal lead-off hitter.  

I had Madrigal in the leadoff spot originally, but switched to him last second to ninth.  Really a toss up for me.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I had Madrigal in the leadoff spot originally, but switched to him last second to ninth.  Really a toss up for me.

I think Madrigal at 1 and Robert at 2 makes the most sense...  as long as Ricky is gone and we have rules about not bunting like the A’s.  Madrigal gets on and steals and/or Robert drives him in via extra base hits or homers.

I also didn’t realize Nimmo is still so young at 26.  I would love that move.  And the added touch of Adam Jones is great cuz Kenny would love that move.  But for a bench role, Jones would be a great addition.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

No appetite for Madrigal as the lead-off hitter in this soon-to-be future line-up?  Get his on-base skills and base running abilities smack dab at the top of the line-up, thereby pushing all the muscle down a spot to make the line-up particularly strong both at the top and then the middle of the line-up (which would also soon include Vaughn).  This before the team even brings in reinforcements from the outside for other positions.  

Just seems to me Madrigal could be the prototype for the ideal lead-off hitter.  

Madrigal fits at leadoff, second in the order or #9.  My preference is #2 because he can take pitches for lead off man steals, hit behind the runner, work walks and actually knows how to bunt (Ricky requirement.)

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think Madrigal at 1 and Robert at 2 makes the most sense...  as long as Ricky is gone and we have rules about not bunting like the A’s.  Madrigal gets on and steals and/or Robert drives him in via extra base hits or homers.

I also didn’t realize Nimmo is still so young at 26.  I would love that move.  And the added touch of Adam Jones is great cuz Kenny would love that move.  But for a bench role, Jones would be a great addition.

Here’s my thought on Adam Jones.  Our AAAA OF guys all suck and I don’t want to rely entirely on Leury if a corner guy gets hurt.  Jones is cheap depth and a great clubhouse presence.

I don’t like giving up arguably two of our best prospects after the elite guys when we have tons of financial flexibility, but Nimmo fills so many needs (RF, left-handed, OBP) and is under control for three years that he’s worth giving up some talent and spending elsewhere.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s my thought on Adam Jones.  Our AAAA OF guys all suck and I don’t want to rely entirely on Leury if a corner guy gets hurt.  Jones is cheap depth and a great clubhouse presence.

I don’t like giving up arguably two of our best prospects after the elite guys when we have tons of financial flexibility, but Nimmo fills so many needs (RF, left-handed, OBP) and is under control for three years that he’s worth giving up some talent and spending elsewhere.

I would have no qualms about giving up Stiever and Walker for Nimmo.  Stiever came out of nowhere to have value and Walker may not have the pop we would want from a corner outfielder.  Also, Nimmo would essentially be replacing Walker anyways.  If those two and a lesser prospect could net Nimmo, I would be all for it.  Nimmo will just be turning 27 to start next Spring Training, he has the draft pedigree (former 1st rounder), has good career numbers in the majors so far, and is a lefty bat.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Madrigal fits at leadoff, second in the order or #9.  My preference is #2 because he can take pitches for lead off man steals, hit behind the runner, work walks and actually knows how to bunt (Ricky requirement.)

Bat Madrigal #2.  Robert will hit so many lead off homers that Madrigal can still bat with nobody on and nobody out anyway. 😁

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Bat Madrigal #2.  Robert will hit so many lead off homers that Madrigal can still bat with nobody on and nobody out anyway. 😁

This team has a lot of good hitters.  I see Robert in a mid order role...but similar to Moncada any of the top 3 spots are not unreasonable.  I think a lineup of Anderson, Madrigal, Robert, Moncada, Eloy and Abreu as 1through 6 would have early leads in lots of games.  If we sign Grandal and Ozuna in the offseason you can just pull names out of a hat since that lineup would just be sick.🙂

18 minutes ago, poppysox said:

This team has a lot of good hitters.  I see Robert in a mid order role...but similar to Moncada any of the top 3 spots are not unreasonable.  I think a lineup of Anderson, Madrigal, Robert, Moncada, Eloy and Abreu as 1through 6 would have early leads in lots of games.  If we sign Grandal and Ozuna in the offseason you can just pull names out of a hat since that lineup would just be sick.🙂

I always enjoy your enthusiasm Poppy.  1-9 a great combination of obp, speed and power should be coming our way soon.  Now go sign some pitching Rick!!

19 minutes ago, wegner said:

I always enjoy your enthusiasm Poppy.  1-9 a great combination of obp, speed and power should be coming our way soon.  Now go sign some pitching Rick!!

Not much point in spending lots of time hating on the team you claim to love.  

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Any hate stems from that love my friend.

And by hate I mean frustration.  I hope to have much less frustration this off season.

Good point.  When I make negative remarks about Ricky...they are my way of taking out my frustration with his bunting and lineup propensities.  I like Ricky as a person.

• Like 2

Ozuna- semi high profile bat that fills a need and will get fans/media talking without breaking the bank

Moreland- LH, good fielding 1B, above average hitter. Makes sense to pair with Jose 

1 of Wheeler/Odorizi/Keuchel- The front office isn’t going to give Cole huge $ despite how bad the team needs him. Saving face on a serviceable and recognizable 2nd tier SP for lesser $ will help

Decent reliever like Hector Rondon/Brad Brach- steady the pen in front Colome with a reliable vet. Should be relatively cheap

To me thats the very obvious/easy off season for the front office. Not saying it’s the best, but it’s pretty straight forward and safe. If they are less aggressive than this I’m going to be very disappointed...again 

5 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Ozuna- semi high profile bat that fills a need and will get fans/media talking without breaking the bank

Moreland- LH, good fielding 1B, above average hitter. Makes sense to pair with Jose 

1 of Wheeler/Odorizi/Keuchel- The front office isn’t going to give Cole huge $ despite how bad the team needs him. Saving face on a serviceable and recognizable 2nd tier SP for lesser $ will help

Decent reliever like Hector Rondon/Brad Brach- steady the pen in front Colome with a reliable vet. Should be relatively cheap

To me thats the very obvious/easy off season for the front office. Not saying it’s the best, but it’s pretty straight forward and safe. If they are less aggressive than this I’m going to be very disappointed...again 

Is that going to satisfy most of the fanbase, especially as you’re also skipping over Bumgarner...the third biggest name, and putting Keuchel back into the AL theoretically.

They need much better than Rondon or Brach from the RH side.

If it was Ozuna and Wheeler, then you’re talking arguably the two largest contracts in White Sox history...that at least gets the attention of fans, although the range of outcomes with Wheeler paired w/ Cooper fall all over the map. 

10 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This would be a bare minimum off season.  I expect more and I think we will get it.