Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Also, cross Betances off the list. Partial Achilles tear for him.

Could always try to make a deal like SD did with Garrett Richards. I know there have been a couple others that are similar (signing an injured player to a multi year pact and essentially punting on ur 1), but the names aren't coming through to me. Evoaldi a few years ago maybe? 

11 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Could always try to make a deal like SD did with Garrett Richards. I know there have been a couple others that are similar (signing an injured player to a multi year pact and essentially punting on ur 1), but the names aren't coming through to me. Evoaldi a few years ago maybe? 

Eovaldi, Smyly with Cubs, Garrett Richards with Padres this past offseason (he just came back to make a start actually).

Edit: Pineda with Twins maybe?

Edited by soxfan2014

10 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Yeah, but that does nothing to help our bullpen next season. Totally ok with doing it, but still need the same amount of bullpen help.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fathom said:

If the Sox do decide they want Collins to be a factor as DH, then Howie Kendrick would be a good fit on the roster.

With righties all over the infield, that role would be better for a lefty but I do love Howie Kendrick.

It seems like whenever coaches and players are interviewed they are confident in the team next year. I believe the aggressive plans for this off-season are spoken about within the organization. I don't see a scenario where we waste another great year from our core guys when we have specific holes we can fill to get much better. I don't expect Cole, but I expect huge acquisitions for SP2, DH, RF, BP1, and SP4. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

It seems like whenever coaches and players are interviewed they are confident in the team next year. I believe the aggressive plans for this off-season are spoken about within the organization. I don't see a scenario where we waste another great year from our core guys when we have specific holes we can fill to get much better. I don't expect Cole, but I expect huge acquisitions for SP2, DH, RF, BP1, and SP4. 

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I certainly expect an aggressive offseason to fill the positions you mention.  Are strengths and needs are known to all including RH.

If we were to sign Martinez, Grandal, and Stras/Bum/Cole, would anyone have a problem with giving Brett Gardner a two year deal? He has speed, can hit, and is a solid defender.

If we sign Cole/Bum/Stras/Wheeler, would anyone have a problem giving Ryu a two year deal? 

We should have payrolls in the 130s moving forward to be honest. Just make sure most of the free agents are gone by the end of 2023 or 24. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

If we were to sign Martinez, Grandal, and Stras/Bum/Cole, would anyone have a problem with giving Brett Gardner a two year deal? He has speed, can hit, and is a solid defender.

If we sign Cole/Bum/Stras/Wheeler, would anyone have a problem giving Ryu a two year deal? 

We should have payrolls in the 130s moving forward to be honest. Just make sure most of the free agents are gone by the end of 2023 or 24. 

No problem with it...can't imagine any scenario where he's not a Yankee next year.

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Poppy.......have you ever observed the Yankees and Dodgers in your life

Yep.  They have luxury tax issues and expensive people to keep happy.  I don't disagree that if they have an absolute need for a player they frequently are in the hunt.  I don't see the Yankees or Dodgers breaking the bank on Cole.  They will make really good offers and if he's our guy...beat those offers.  My preference would be Wheeler and Bumgarner but my point is we can afford anyone we want.

19 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Offer Cole a contract of 7 years for $250 right off the bat. Tell him we want to lock him up right away in an effort to attract other free agents. If he wants to shop around, he risks losing that offer while me make offers to the Wheelers of the world.

Honestly he would probably accept that in a heartbeat.

37 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Offer Cole a contract of 7 years for $250 right off the bat. Tell him we want to lock him up right away in an effort to attract other free agents. If he wants to shop around, he risks losing that offer while me make offers to the Wheelers of the world.

Well that's not how the Sox operate.

We will offer a deal that has quite the bounty of performance based bonuses that we will pitch against guaranteed offers that are longer and more lucrative.   We will then chase this guy hoping that he sees the future bucks are actually better than guaranteed money.   We will be razor focused in our pursuit.   Once he signs elsewhere Kenny will act shocked.   We will then go for a retread that had a pedigree and tell the fans to believe in the process.  

• Love 2

49 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well that's not how the Sox operate.

We will offer a deal that has quite the bounty of performance based bonuses that we will pitch against guaranteed offers that are longer and more lucrative.   We will then chase this guy hoping that he sees the future bucks are actually better than guaranteed money.   We will be razor focused in our pursuit.   Once he signs elsewhere Kenny will act shocked.   We will then go for a retread that had a pedigree and tell the fans to believe in the process.  

I really can't think of a fanbase in baseball more cynical than White Sox fans. We're classically conditioned to always expect the worst case scenario with everything. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Ok, here is a guess of what the Sox will do this offseason.  I don't endorse the moves, just some uneducated guesses :D

Sign Abreu to a 2 year contract with a 3rd year option.

Try to extend Giolito and Moncada.

Sign Baumgarner and Odorizzi.

Sign Puig for RF.

Sign Justin Smoak to DH/1B

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Honestly he would probably accept that in a heartbeat.

And that would be perfect for the Sox as they could focus the rest of their attention on position players and adding a back end starter or two.  You'd have a very solid 1,2 with Gio and Cole and then probably a decent 4th out of Kopech and Lopez (maybe a decent 3rd) and you'd need to fill in around but the Sox would have a clear idea where they stood early in FA with the roster.

That will never happen tho this franchise is not smart enough to realize that sometimes AAV relative to production isn't everything.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep. It probably has something to do with the amount of playoff appearances in the last 50 years. 

I don't blame anyone. Look at Twitter whenever there is an injury and you see the cynicism. Luis Robert had to take a crap and White Sox Twitter freaked out like he had a leg amputated or something. It really has been well earned. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, wegner said:

Ok, here is a guess of what the Sox will do this offseason.  I don't endorse the moves, just some uneducated guesses :D

Sign Abreu to a 2 year contract with a 3rd year option.

Try to extend Giolito and Moncada.

Sign Baumgarner and Odorizzi.

Sign Puig for RF.

Sign Justin Smoak to DH/1B

Ross is coming back from late 70's/early 80s'?