Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

4 hours ago, wegner said:

Ok, here is a guess of what the Sox will do this offseason.  I don't endorse the moves, just some uneducated guesses :D

Sign Abreu to a 2 year contract with a 3rd year option.

Try to extend Giolito and Moncada.

Sign Baumgarner and Odorizzi.

Sign Puig for RF.

Sign Justin Smoak to DH/1B

Replace Smoak with Grandal and a couple of real good pen pieces … I can understand the moves.

15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Replace Smoak with Grandal and a couple of real good pen pieces … I can understand the moves.

$450~500 million making all those commitments (w/Grandal)... that includes roughly $300 million for Moncada and Giolito extensions.  $450 is probably way too low with just those two FA pitchers and Grandal, let alone Puig and bullpen help. 

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

$450~500 million making all those commitments (w/Grandal)... that includes roughly $300 million for Moncada and Giolito extensions.  $450 is probably way too low with just those two FA pitchers and Grandal, let alone Puig and bullpen help. 

Around 130 million annually.  Not out of the question.  Winning creates lots of money.

I would like to see Cole and Bumgarner + a RF like Ozuna or Castellanos.  

In reality we will see the following.

I think we will likely pick up Adam Jones for a 1 year deal to play RF.  Kenny has liked him for a while.  Kole Calhoun would be a better choice.   But Jones will be the guy.

Alex Wood + Odorizzi

47 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I would like to see Cole and Bumgarner + a RF like Ozuna or Castellanos.  

In reality we will see the following.

I think we will likely pick up Adam Jones for a 1 year deal to play RF.  Kenny has liked him for a while.  Kole Calhoun would be a better choice.   But Jones will be the guy.

Alex Wood + Odorizzi

Calhoun is actually my guess for who RH will sign.  He and Grandal would make a lot of sense for adding some power from the left side.

55 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Around 130 million annually.  Not out of the question.  Winning creates lots of money.

You are awfully optimistic, which of course, is in your nature. JR has always believed that winning creates overhead. But I hope you are right. It would be oh so great to see winning baseball on the South Side once more. 

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Calhoun is actually my guess for who RH will sign.  He and Grandal would make a lot of sense for adding some power from the left side.

Calhoun is mediocrity personified.  Just because he is better than what the Sox had in RF this year, why are some posters entertaining his potential signing like it would be a good one?!?  He is OPS’ing over .800 now but he’s .745 for his career.  For a corner OF who doesn’t play good defense, he doesn’t hit well enough either to make up for his weak glove.  He’s an awful target other than the fact than he’s a lefty bat.

.235 hitter right now.  He will be a cheaper Adam Dunn Lite here.  And he is turning 32 in a month.  Stay the hell away from this guy please.

The Sox could and should easily do better.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Ross is coming back from late 70's/early 80s'? 

Just looked up Ross Bumgarner on baseball reference.  It says he's living in Highland Park....give him an invite to spring training...nothing like another lefty to push Jace Fry a little 😁

That career era of 4.00 looks pretty good with all those inflated #s on our pitching staff.

19 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

And that would be perfect for the Sox as they could focus the rest of their attention on position players and adding a back end starter or two.  You'd have a very solid 1,2 with Gio and Cole and then probably a decent 4th out of Kopech and Lopez (maybe a decent 3rd) and you'd need to fill in around but the Sox would have a clear idea where they stood early in FA with the roster.

That will never happen tho this franchise is not smart enough to realize that sometimes AAV relative to production isn't everything.

You left out Cease.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Nick will cost a lot of money as well. 

3 years, $48-54 million seems pretty realistic.

Based on his career before this second half with the Cubs, that would be a pretty big overpay going by fWAR alone/defensive limitations.

That said, he's still (relatively) young.

Edited by caulfield12

40 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

wow are people really in here talking about possibly getting Cole?  sadists

Gluttons for punishment.

I think the two for one (Harper + Machado) hype has now evolved into we can't even get ONE elite talent on the market.

Historically, you'd be a rich bettor had you taken the over/under on how many "premium" free agents the White Sox would sign, since Robertson and Dunn would be the only two to identify going back to the 2000's.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Gluttons for punishment.

I think the two for one (Harper + Machado) hype has now evolved into we can't even get ONE elite talent on the market.

Historically, you'd be a rich bettor had you taken the over/under on how many "premium" free agents the White Sox would sign, since Robertson and Dunn would be the only two to identify going back to the 2000's.

It would be a reversal of everything he has done in the past. But Jerry turns 84 before next season starts. If he wants to win another World Series, signing Gerrit Cole is probably the best path to take to accomplish that.

Rich Hahn keeps saying the money will be there. Now it's put up or shut up time. The money being there for a #3 starter means nothing. Are we trying to win the World Series, or just trying to be a pretty good team? Chicago is a big market. It's time for them to act like a big market team and not like the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Not signing a #1 puts a ton of pressure on Kopech, Cease and Giolito to all pan out at their best case scenario, which of course is unlikely.

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, Sarava said:

It would be a reversal of everything he has done in the past. But Jerry turns 84 before next season starts. If he wants to win another World Series, signing Gerrit Cole is probably the best path to take to accomplish that.

Rich Hahn keeps saying the money will be there. Now it's put up or shut up time. The money being there for a #3 starter means nothing. Are we trying to win the World Series, or just trying to be a pretty good team? Chicago is a big market. It's time for them to act like a big market team and not like the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Not signing a #1 puts a ton of pressure on Kopech, Cease and Giolito to all pan out at their best case scenario, which of course is unlikely.

dont do this to yourself

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

dont do this to yourself

So everyone is supposed to dream small or tell themselves the rebuild will fail because we are doomed to always getting non elite players in Free Agency ?

We all know the odds of getting Cole are not good but what Sarava said is spot on.

• Like 2