Jump to content
RTC

Free Agency - How confident are you?

The winter of our discontent   

147 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

    • I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
      7
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
      45
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
      32
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
      29
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage
      34


Recommended Posts

Ok I listened to the podcast. It was a good podcast and I like most of what i heard. It was mostly what we knew or expected.

His comments about Sox fans on the internet and social media were interesting. Makes me think he definitely reads stuff around here. If so, hi Rick!

One thing though. Rick Hahn can piss off with his 5-7 year comment. The Cubs were in the NLCS in Theo's 4th year in Chicago, and they didn't start with anywhere near the assets that the Sox started this rebuild with.

I'm hoping the 5-7 year comment was intended to temper expectations, while they quietly plan on going for it this winter. I know we're not getting Gerritt Cole, but everything else could and should be on the table. I have a feeling the Sox are going to be one of the most active teams, both in trade and free agency.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sarava said:

I would be more than ok with staying with McCann at catcher, and using the available resources for 2 SP's, a RF and a reliever or two.

I don’t think you can assume McCann will be a good enough starter next season just yet. His numbers after the Allstar break are more like his career stats.  Adding Grandal and a decent RF would make a huge impact to the lineup for next season, along with Robert and Madrigal joining it shortly after the season starts.

The Sox need 2 starting pitchers, a RF, a catcher, and bullpen help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t think you can assume McCann will be a good enough starter next season just yet. His numbers after the Allstar break are more like his career stats.  Adding Grandal and a decent RF would make a huge impact to the lineup for next season, along with Robert and Madrigal joining it shortly after the season starts.

The Sox need 2 starting pitchers, a RF, a catcher, and bullpen help.

Spot on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t think you can assume McCann will be a good enough starter next season just yet. His numbers after the Allstar break are more like his career stats.  Adding Grandal and a decent RF would make a huge impact to the lineup for next season, along with Robert and Madrigal joining it shortly after the season starts.

The Sox need 2 starting pitchers, a RF, a catcher, and bullpen help.

Of course you can't assume that. But they're not going to upgrade half the team. It might be a bit of a pick your poison thing. If they sign Grandal to replace McCann, but ignore signing a big name pitcher, are you fine with that then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Of course you can't assume that. But they're not going to upgrade half the team. It might be a bit of a pick your poison thing. If they sign Grandal to replace McCann, but ignore signing a big name pitcher, are you fine with that then?

If they're still able to nab Wheeler, sure. 

Cole and Strasburg are going to be hard, Bumgarner might stay put. They need to make sure they make upgrades at a few spots and then go after Cole or Strasburg. Hahn can't go all in again and be left holding Mr Johnson in February. If they blow their entire wad this offseason, so be it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they're still able to nab Wheeler, sure. 

Well he's the 3rd or 4th biggest name, so that's not really what I was asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t think you can assume McCann will be a good enough starter next season just yet. His numbers after the Allstar break are more like his career stats.  Adding Grandal and a decent RF would make a huge impact to the lineup for next season, along with Robert and Madrigal joining it shortly after the season starts.

The Sox need 2 starting pitchers, a RF, a catcher, and bullpen help.

Everyone is high on Grandal and low on McCann since his post All-Star drop. But check out Grandal's 2nd half stats the last few years. His production takes a sizable drop as well. Good thing is Grandal has post season experience . Bad thing is he has hit.107 for his career in 75+ABS. If you sign Grandal, I think you have to reduce his games played to see if he is breaking down late every year.  Every team has a weak offensive spot which you hope is a real plus defender. Maybe  we live w McCann( if he re-signs) and spend the money elsewhere.   

Edited by SCCWS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sarava said:

Of course you can't assume that. But they're not going to upgrade half the team. It might be a bit of a pick your poison thing. If they sign Grandal to replace McCann, but ignore signing a big name pitcher, are you fine with that then?

You are absolutely right. There have to be priorities , The Sox need to recognize this and act accordingly. The Sox have some of the worst production in the league at DH despite having a seemingly endless supply of bad fielders  A huge upgrade there could be Abreu if only the Sox had the balls to tell him he will be DHing the majority of the time if he wants to stay with the Sox. Then they could sign a better fielding guy to play 1st who hopefully can provide offense as good is not better than ABreu. Despite many being down on him it isn't easy to replace his bat .

Catcher is probably the 5th position on the list and I'm not real confident the Sox will be signing 5 free agents that will all be as productive as we hope. But we will need upgrades to the lineup too so Grandal may be one the more realistic options there too. I'd love Rendon at 3rd base and then up hugely upgrade 2nd base by moving Moncada there. I know Moncada's offensive production has coincided with the switch in positions but the 2 probably are not related and he should be able to continue his hitting abilities despite a position change. It would  also provide depth .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Well he's the 3rd or 4th biggest name, so that's not really what I was asking.

I think that most think that Cole or Strasburg isn't realistic anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think that most think that Cole or Strasburg isn't realistic anymore

Right. But Wheeler might get a $100 mil deal or not far from it as well. Singing Grandal might mean no Wheeler is what i'm getting at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Right. But Wheeler might get a $100 mil deal or not far from it as well. Singing Grandal might mean no Wheeler is what i'm getting at.

That's ridiculous. The Sox have like $20 M committed to payroll next year. Yolmer Sanchez is the only arbitration eligible player on their books and everyone else is still pre-Arb. Signing only one of them would be beyond cheap. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year we were lead to believe the Sox actually had enough payroll flexibility to sign Nachado AND Harper. They  both signed for right ar or less than projections,  and the team basically said it couldn't afford either o one in regards to what they signed for. It is nice to dream the Sox will sign ayer X, but until they do, it isn't reasonable to think they will or even might based on previous results. In fact, Hahn emphasized patience for the  next free agent class. What are most teams looking for when they sign free agents late? Bargains. The Sox need a better plan than bargain bin shopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's ridiculous. The Sox have like $20 M committed to payroll next year. Yolmer Sanchez is the only arbitration eligible player on their books and everyone else is still pre-Arb. Signing only one of them would be beyond cheap. 

Leury? Colome? Also both arbitration eligible.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Leury? Colome? Also both arbitration eligible.

Yolmer should be non-tendered and Leury won’t get much but Colome will get around $10 million.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Leury? Colome? Also both arbitration eligible.

Forgot about them for a minute. Even if you count arb players it only gets them up to 40-45M. Not spending more than that would be unacceptable. 

Next year the only players under definite contract that aren't pre-arb are Jimenez and Herrera. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sarava said:

Right. But Wheeler might get a $100 mil deal or not far from it as well. Singing Grandal might mean no Wheeler is what i'm getting at.

We can easily afford Grandal & Wheeler.  If I had to guess, they’re looking at deals around 3/$60M & 4/$80M respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We can easily afford Grandal & Wheeler.  If I had to guess, they’re looking at deals around 3/$60M & 4/$80M respectively.

Yeah we can sign two good starters, Grandal, and a decent RF and still have money left over to pay salary increases comfortably. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leury was such a bargain this season at 1.5 million. Can you believe he was acquired in the Alex Rios deal? Is Leury's 2.2 WAR show he's the best value in baseball this particular season? If the Sox wanted to, they could hang onto Leury and go with Eloy and Robert and Rutherford and if Rutherford is a bust, just throw Leury in there. Leury in LF; and Eloy in right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Leury was such a bargain this season at 1.5 million. Can you believe he was acquired in the Alex Rios deal? Is Leury's 2.2 WAR show he's the best value in baseball this particular season? If the Sox wanted to, they could hang onto Leury and go with Eloy and Robert and Rutherford and if Rutherford is a bust, just throw Leury in there. Leury in LF; and Eloy in right.

What?

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

What?

I looked it up and it said 2.2. If that's wrong I can kill the item.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I looked it up and it said 2.2. If that's wrong I can kill the item.

I was just confused as to why you thought he might be the most valuable player in baseball.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I was just confused as to why you thought he might be the most valuable player in baseball.

no, the best value for the buck; making pennies but producing quite nicely.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, greg775 said:

no, the best value for the buck.

Not even the best value on his own team. Moncada at league Minimum has a 2.9 WAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should have put a "great value" or one of the best values, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Not even the best value on his own team. Moncada at league Minimum has a 2.9 WAR.

Is Moncada technically league minimum?  He got guaranteed money up front like Robert, which the Sox are paying.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×