Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Direct quote from Hahn:

"At some point next year you can expect Kopech to join us.  I just don't know when he is going to be on the major league active roster.  His rehab has gone wonderfully, he is perfectly on pace and is going to be in spring training without restriction, and he is going to be over 18 months removed from having thrown a pitch in anger.  So let's let the kid develop and when he is ready, he is going to be back."

But, sure.  No chance! 

They're playing service time games again. Great. Let's completely waste this rebuild. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They're playing service time games again. Great. 

I agree - it is great.  Kopech is going to throw at most 130 or so innings next year.  I would much prefer those innings be in August and September than April and May.  Getting a year back is just gravy.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're playing service time games again. Great. Let's completely waste this rebuild. 

Waste this rebuild?  Getting an extra year of Kopech would be huge.  If all that takes is signing an extra free agent starter than by all means do it.  And guess what, if Kopech is lighting up the world in AAA right from the start then we can simply adjust the plan and forego that extra year if we so choose.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I agree - it is great.  Kopech is going to throw at most 130 or so innings next year.  I would much prefer those innings be in August and September than April and May.  Getting a year back is just gravy.  

😕

They're going to completely fuck this up by playing silly games. 

Again, the only clock that matters at this point is the one on Moncada, Giolito and Lopez. 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

With Hahn hinting that Kopech probably starts the year in AAA, there is pretty good chance they sign 2 SP IMO.  However, I definitely think the 2nd SP would be more of depth piece that could be moved to pen.  Wood/Wacha/Nova type.  

Nova would be the best of those picks.

😕

Again, the only clock that matters at this point is the one on Moncada, Giolito and Lopez. 

Dude, you're such a blowhard.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Waste this rebuild?  Getting an extra year of Kopech would be huge.  If all that takes is signing an extra free agent starter than by all means do it.  And guess what, if Kopech is lighting up the world in AAA right from the start then we can simply adjust the plan and forego that extra year if we so choose.

Yes, let's completely waste Moncada and Giolito while playing silly games. 

😕

Right now, we have to operate under the assumption the Sox feel they can extend Moncada & Giolito.  If they can, then these “service time games” will actually help us optimize our window.

Yes, let's completely waste Moncada and Giolito while playing silly games. 

Lol - the guy can only throw a limited amount of innings next year!! So the choice is start him in April when he hasn't faced batters in a real game in 18 months and then shut him down in August for the year.  Or start him in the bigs in June after he's built up his endurance in AAA some and then let him pitch unrestricted through the end of the season.  Oh and with the 2nd option, you get a year of control back! Its such an easy decision for me. Thankfully, I think it will be for the Sox as well.   

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Right now, we have to operate under the assumption the Sox feel they can extend Moncada & Giolito.  If they can, then these “service time games” will actually help us optimize our window.

I operate under the assumption both will be beyond what the Sox are willing to pay. Based on this season, I think that is a pretty safe assumption. 

😕

Well Jack I think it's you either let Kopech start in AAA and gain the service time or shut him down at the end of the year which might happen anyway. I think it's highly unlikely they get 150 innings from him. His 1st year back after so much time off matters a lot more in that respect than playing the service time games with Robert and Madrigal. With Kopech it's a lot more understandable.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well Jack I think it's you either let Kopech start in AAA and gain the service time or shut him down at the end of the year which might happen anyway. I think it's highly unlikely they get 150 innings from him. His 1st year back after so much time off matters a lot more in that respect than playing the service time games with Robert and Madrigal. With Kopech it's a lot more understandable.

Why waste those innings in Charlotte? Why can't they use him out of the bullpen in April and May and then stretch him out later? 

I agree that he's only getting 130-150 innings next year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I operate under the assumption both will be beyond what the Sox are willing to pay. Based on this season, I think that is a pretty safe assumption. 

Based on this season?  What in the fuck are you talking about dude?  The Rays extended the 2018 Cy Young Winner and we can’t lock up Giolito?  Are you fucking serious?

You claimed you weren’t a Negative Nancy and that’s apparently lasted about 48 hours.

Why waste those innings in Charlotte? Why can't they use him out of the bullpen in April and May and then stretch him out later? 

I think they'd rather have him go right back to being a starter . It's hard to say what they will do but he is a starting pitcher and the sooner they get him back in that groove the better.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Based on this season?  What in the fuck are you talking about dude?  The Rays extended the 2018 Cy Young Winner and we can’t lock up Giolito?  Are you fucking serious?

You claimed you weren’t a Negative Nancy and that’s apparently lasted about 48 hours.

They might be able to pull off Giolito but Moncada is a long shot. He's going to get $250M when he's up. He'll be 28 which is young for a FA. 

I don't think I'm being negative, I think I'm being rational here. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

They might be able to pull off Giolito but Moncada is a long shot. He's going to get $250 M when he's up. 

Good thing we've got him for 4 more entire seasons after this one.  Waves of talent.  It'll be nice when Moncada leaves for free agency the Sox aren't forced to rebuild again because an impatient front office brought all the prospects up at the same time.  Instead, we'll still be really fucking good even if Moncada leaves for $250M payday.  

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They might be able to pull off Giolito but Moncada is a long shot. He's going to get $250M when he's up. He'll be 28 which is young for a FA. 

I don't think I'm being negative, I think I'm being rational here. 

Good, we just offered Machado $250M so it seems like we’ll have the necessary funds available for Yoan when needed.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Good thing we've got him for 4 more entire seasons after this one.  Waves of talent.  It'll be nice when Moncada leaves for free agency the Sox aren't forced to rebuild again because an impatient front office brought all the prospects up at the same time.  Instead, we'll still be really fucking good even if Moncada leaves for $250M payday.  

Or we will be pissed about early struggles from the prospects they waited on such that nobody peaked simultaneously and they peaked at 88 wins.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Or we will be pissed that early struggles from the prospects they waited on so that nobody peaked simultaneously and they peaked at 88 wins.  

So surprising to see you take the contrarian everything will go wrong stance! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't understand. What prospects would have ruined things if brought up early? Eloy, Robert, and Magical are years after Moncada if he leaves. 

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I agree that he's only getting 130-150 innings next year. 

Using him in the bullpen would be the worst thing they could do. You would be losing a year of service time for him to provide maybe half a win if he’s lights out.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

So surprising to see you take the contrarian everything will go wrong stance! 

It's not contrarian it's more like when have the Sox ever done what we expect them to do ? You and @Chicago White Sox expect them to sign some really good guys but if that doesn't happen  what then ? Me and Jack really hope they sign some good guys too that allow the Sox to aim for the playoffs as early as next year. We just want to maximize the strength of the team when the window o[ens and not lessen its strength by guys like Madrigal and Robert who when they do come up next uyear might have an adjustment period as bad as Moncada and as inconsistent as Eloy.

Maybe 2020 isn't a playoff year but it had better be in 2021-2023 before Gio and Yo become free agents. Maybe those are your 2 best guys going forward and it would be a big blow to lose them We cannot count on extending them both or even one of them. One of Kopech or Cease really have to reach close to their ceilings to replace him but it would be much better to have all 3 firing on all cylinders together. That's not likely to happen next year. It would also be really nice if Moncada Eloy and Robert can also fire on all cylinders together at some point along with GIo, Kopech and Cease. Could it happen . yes but how likely is it and also that other draft picks develop enough to help and Reinsdorf all of a sudden says signing anyone to big contracts isn't bad business anymore ?

Waves of talent get smaller and smaller as the years progress and the Sox get worse draft picks and the talent leaves via free agency while the Sox still don't draft well , develop well , use all their international money or sign expensive free agent contracts. I suppose this off season will tell most of us all we need to know going forward but I wouldn't expect things to go as some of you expect. And I don't mean it will be better than you expect.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
changed Chicago Sox Sox to the posters name Chicago White Sox
  • Love 1

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Using him in the bullpen would be the worst thing they could do. You would be losing a year of service time for him to provide maybe half a win if he’s lights out.

Again, I don't care about his clock, I care about Moncada and Giolito. Again, do you want to waste their best years?