Sign in to follow this  
RTC

Free Agency - How confident are you?

The winter of our discontent   

180 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Stone has been talking up kole Calhoun so much it appears be will be the big target.

Calhoun may not even hit free agency unless the Sox have some intel on that front.  Either way, Calhoun would be such a safe / low upside pickup.  Dude is basically a slightly above league average hitter (who doesn’t even address our OBP problem that much cause of the low BA) and average to slightly below average fielder.  That’s a big improvement over what we got out of RF this year, but man I hope we’re shooting for someone with even a bit of upside.  He’d be a better stopgap than Puig if they’re looking to buy time for the AA outfielders & Walker, but I’d be pissed if they gave him more than a one or two year deal.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Calhoun may not even hit free agency unless the Sox have some intel on that front.

Probably expecting (like most) that Jo Adell will be ready to man RF next season. 

There aren't really any suitable MLB free agents. However, there are a few Japanese players, who could fill the hole in RF and have stated intentions of coming to the U. S., in 2020. If he recovers from that awful leg injury, which he suffered this last Spring, Yuki Yanagita would be a very good fit. If not, then perhaps Shogo Akiyama, or Yoshitomo Tsutsugo. They are all left handed power bats,  with very good OBP's, who play right field. Tsutsugo may not be a good enough defender to play RF, but the other two would be plus defenders.

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Probably expecting (like most) that Jo Adell will be ready to man RF next season. 

Good point...I’m a total idiot.  Probably why you should never post when you wake up in the middle of a drunken slumber at 4am in the morning.

10 hours ago, chw42 said:

I can totally see Calhoun hitting below .200 with us. He doesn't hit for a high average to begin with, but knowing our luck with left handed power hitters...

Yeah he has very little in terms of hit tool

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

There aren't really any suitable MLB free agents. However, there are a few Japanese players, who could fill the hole in RF and have stated intentions of coming to the U. S., in 2020. If he recovers from that awful leg injury, which he suffered this last Spring, Yuki Yanagita would be a very good fit. If not, then perhaps Shogo Akiyama, or Yoshitomo Tsutsugo. They are all left handed power bats,  with very good OBP's, who play right field. Tsutsugo may not be a good enough defender to play RF, but the other two would be plus defenders.

The quest for LH hitting knows no boundaries.

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The quest for LH hitting knows no boundaries.

Do you have a better suggestion? Dickerson or Calhoun don't look like the answer, to me.

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Stone has been talking up kole Calhoun so much it appears be will be the big target.

Calhoun is fine assuming they resign Abreu, sign someone like Grandal to C/DH/1B and sign some SP and bullpen help.  If Abreu and Calhoun are the two biggest AAV adds, add me to the group of people doubting this FO can make this thing work. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Do you have a better suggestion? Dickerson or Calhoun don't look like the answer, to me.

Since Takatsu and Iguchi were our last two Japanese players, maybe you’re going to have to send the scouting videos to KW.

11 hours ago, Lillian said:

But random Japanese hitters are a better option?  If you don’t like Dickerson or Calhoun, you likely aren’t going to like the bust rate of these Japanese players.

I would be interested in Dickerson but he seems pretty injury-prone.  And I wouldn’t touch Calhoun at all.  A low average hitting 32 year old.  He would be ripe for a massive decline going to the Sox.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But random Japanese hitters are a better option?  If you don’t like Dickerson or Calhoun, you likely aren’t going to like the bust rate of these Japanese players.

I would be interested in Dickerson but he seems pretty injury-prone.  And I wouldn’t touch Calhoun at all.  A low average hitting 32 year old.  He would be ripe for a massive decline going to the Sox.

Calhoun seems like a good fit, but with their history, he definitely comes here and hits like .210, not as many homers as this year. Goes somewhere else and has a similar season to this one lol

• Like 2

The Japanese player, in whom I am most interested, is the one at the top of the list, which I provided. I mentioned that he suffered a terrible leg injury, this past Spring and I can't seem to find any information about his recovery, rehab or future. If anyone has any updates, I'd appreciate the info. In the meantime, here is a quote from an article, last year, in which he was discussed:

Yuki Yanagita (OF, SoftBank Hawks) Age: 30 (He turns 31 next month - born Oct, 1988)

The top performer in NPB in terms of wRC+ this past season with an unreal 207 mark, Yanagita is considered one of the biggest stars of the league and one that is a starting MLB caliber player. He slashed a dominant .352/.431/.661 in 2018 with 36 HRs and 21 SBs and supported it with a 19.1% strikeout rate and 11.3% walk rate over 550 PAs. Success isn’t foreign for Yanagita at the plate either as over his 7 full-time seasons, he’s got a.319 career batting average, a .420 career on-base%, posted double-digits in both HRs and SBs in each of the last 6 years, and notably was the 2015 Pacific League MVP. 

Yanagita reportedly has expressed MLB interest and could come as soon as next season when he’s eligible for International Free Agency, but do note that the Softbank Hawks have him under contract for another year after that which could mean a 2020 posting scenario or 2021 International Free agent signing. He’ll be on the back half of his baseball career at that point so we likely won’t get his best, still, his power/speed combo with his ability to hit and get on base should make him a desired target both for MLB teams and those in dynasty leagues!

On 9/7/2019 at 11:01 PM, Dick Allen said:

Good place holder type for a year or two.

11 hours ago, Lillian said:

The Japanese player, in whom I am most interested, is the one at the top of the list, which I provided. I mentioned that he suffered a terrible leg injury, this past Spring and I can't seem to find any information about his recovery, rehab or future. If anyone has any updates, I'd appreciate the info. In the meantime, here is a quote from an article, last year, in which he was discussed:

Yuki Yanagita (OF, SoftBank Hawks) Age: 30 (He turns 31 next month - born Oct, 1988)

The top performer in NPB in terms of wRC+ this past season with an unreal 207 mark, Yanagita is considered one of the biggest stars of the league and one that is a starting MLB caliber player. He slashed a dominant .352/.431/.661 in 2018 with 36 HRs and 21 SBs and supported it with a 19.1% strikeout rate and 11.3% walk rate over 550 PAs. Success isn’t foreign for Yanagita at the plate either as over his 7 full-time seasons, he’s got a.319 career batting average, a .420 career on-base%, posted double-digits in both HRs and SBs in each of the last 6 years, and notably was the 2015 Pacific League MVP. 

Yanagita reportedly has expressed MLB interest and could come as soon as next season when he’s eligible for International Free Agency, but do note that the Softbank Hawks have him under contract for another year after that which could mean a 2020 posting scenario or 2021 International Free agent signing. He’ll be on the back half of his baseball career at that point so we likely won’t get his best, still, his power/speed combo with his ability to hit and get on base should make him a desired target both for MLB teams and those in dynasty leagues!

Why would the Sox, a rebuilding team, want to sign a 31 year old Japanese player?  He is already old enough to be past his prime years and he will be facing major league pitching for the first time in his life.  Hard pass.  If you want a 31 year old lefty outfielder as a stop-gap, Corey Dickerson would be a better option.  He has already proven he can hit MLB pitching with a career .830 OPS.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Hatchetman said:

Kole Calhoun? That would be a joke.

Yeah, it would be a very mediocre, uninspired addition

43 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why would the Sox, a rebuilding team, want to sign a 31 year old Japanese player?  He is already old enough to be past his prime years and he will be facing major league pitching for the first time in his life.  Hard pass.  If you want a 31 year old lefty outfielder as a stop-gap, Corey Dickerson would be a better option.  He has already proven he can hit MLB pitching with a career .830 OPS.

To be fair to Lillian, of the Japanese players she mentioned, Yanagita would be the one to try to acquire; He looks the most MLB-ready of the three, and would play a cromulent RF.

Dickerson has a -6 DRS as a LFer, and hasn't played RF since 2016. Since LF is currently occupied, I don't know that he'd be a fit here. What's more, what would be his motivation to leave philly, especially if they can make it into the postseason this year?

Not saying that there's even a snowball's chance in hell of signing Yanagita, given the potential of a posting fee, and this org's "thriftiness." But, there would be worse ideas than at least exploring him as an option, IMO. As a "bridge signing" to a more permanent solution, that is.

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Not saying that there's even a snowball's chance in hell of signing Yanagita, given the potential of a posting fee, and this org's "thriftiness."

They gave 25 million dollars to The Man 3 years years ago. 

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

They gave 25 million dollars to The Man 3 years years ago. 

They also crapped their pants in free agency just one offseason ago. They also could have/should have gone for a MONSTER international signing class 3 years ago, but crapped their pants on that one, too.

But, if you're falling all over yourself to credit this front office, by all means: Their dogged pursuit of Jay and Alonzo truly added to this roster.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 2

MLB.com had a little story today listing the longest homers hit by each team since 2015.  Avi Garcia was the owner of that for the White Sox and Rays.  So I wondered again why did the Sox not offer him a 1 yr deal to play RF.  They sure as hell weren't interested in pursuing Harper.  Did they really think Jon "running in quicksand" Jay was a better option?!?

I guess my point of saying this is that i do not have the confidence that the "money will be spent" until I see it and get the taste out of my mouth from the clown show from last off season.

Use that damn "unprecedented financial flexibility" and shut me up and I'll be happy.

3 hours ago, wegner said:

MLB.com had a little story today listing the longest homers hit by each team since 2015.  Avi Garcia was the owner of that for the White Sox and Rays.  So I wondered again why did the Sox not offer him a 1 yr deal to play RF.  They sure as hell weren't interested in pursuing Harper.  Did they really think Jon "running in quicksand" Jay was a better option?!?

I guess my point of saying this is that i do not have the confidence that the "money will be spent" until I see it and get the taste out of my mouth from the clown show from last off season.

Use that damn "unprecedented financial flexibility" and shut me up and I'll be happy.

No, I don't believe they did. Everyone here knows that. Jay was only brought in for one reason and it had nothing to do with his on-field production.

17 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

No, I don't believe they did. Everyone here knows that. Jay was only brought in for one reason and it had nothing to do with his on-field production.

And those kind of stupid games has me skeptical about this upcoming off season....but I'll hope for the best.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:55 PM, caulfield12 said:

Kosuke Fukudome's still available.

The Sox offered him more money than the Cubs.   I think players out of Japan are a high risk.