Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

Regardless of who Cole signs with, I just hope his free agency plays out similarly to how Patrick Corbin's did last year.  2 or 3 serious suitors identified early, fair market offers made (rather than slow-playing and trying to get a deal), and a decision by early December.  Let's not have another long offseason full of baseless rumors and speculation.

50 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't know if I'm ready for them to deal prospects yet. But McNeil doesn't seem realistic. Neither does Conforto. But with a new GM last off-season and Nimmo out most of the year, maybe there could be a match here without giving up something significant.

I totally understand the reluctance to not deal prospects yet which is why i also like Dickerson as a stop gap. I know he doesn't take a lot of walks nor is his fielding above average . He is a very good hitter from the left side and shouldn't be too expensive to acquire as a FA. Pitching should still be the top priority among our larger FA contracts.

31 minutes ago, mqr said:

People have been clowning the idea of Kole Calhoun, but I think that would be a solid pickup provided he's not the best or only pickup

I like Calhoun much more as a FA.  Trading a prospect for him and then paying him $14M seems kinda brutal.

If LAA buys him out, I'd be more interested in a 1 year $7-9M type deal and spend that extra $5M on a reliever.  

But as others have said, I really only like that move if he's like the 4th or 5th most significant player added this offseason.  

Edited by ChiSox59

20 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Ian Happ do anything for anyone?  He'll only be 25 next year, switch hitter with pop, plays everywhere.  He's positve WAR and young enough.  He would be cheap to obtain I'd think.

A tradition unlike any other - Sox fans pining to acquire Cubs players.  There are 28 other clubs gents! 

Also, Ian Happ sucks.  

• Like 1

Enjoy this last week fellas, it will be the last week of the rebuild and being bad for the next 7 years. Free agency should be fun this year even if we get solid guys and no major fish like Cole. Minnesota and Cleveland are taking big steps back and I believe our division will be won with 88 to 90 wins next year. 

The White Sox are in a great position to win a lot of games in the future. If they wanted to they have the flexibility to overpay, get both Cole and Strasburg, and still be an average team in terms of payroll in MLB.  Will they do this?  NO.  But could they?  I think It's possible.  The question that remains is if and when they will spend to complete rebuild and how far they are willing to go.  I don't mind that the White Sox save a lot of money and rebuild from time to time as long as they spend and invest in high caliber players when their teams are in a good position to win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

A good thing about all the young guys (who matter) playing well is that it makes the team a much more desirable FA destination. It still comes down to the money though 

Interesting point here. I think to sign top tier FAs we will need to show them we intend on winning next season. There will be many suitors out there for guys we want so being competitive becomes important. 

36 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Interesting point here. I think to sign top tier FAs we will need to show them we intend on winning next season. There will be many suitors out there for guys we want so being competitive becomes important. 

That's why we should aim for our getting our top priority locked up as quickly as possible, even if it means overpaying.  Whether it's Cole, or Grandal, or somebody else...just overpay them right out of the gate, get them on board, and use that to attract other free agents. If you combine our young core with a solid free agent, we become a pretty desirable place.  Yes, I know they money still needs to be offered, but the point remains.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

That's why we should aim for our getting our top priority locked up as quickly as possible, even if it means overpaying.  Whether it's Cole, or Grandal, or somebody else...just overpay them right out of the gate, get them on board, and use that to attract other free agents. If you combine our young core with a solid free agent, we become a pretty desirable place.  Yes, I know they money still needs to be offered, but the point remains.

Knowing this front-office, they will play games and it will drag out rather than getting it done ASAP.

4 hours ago, Good Guys said:

The White Sox are in a great position to win a lot of games in the future. If they wanted to they have the flexibility to overpay, get both Cole and Strasburg, and still be an average team in terms of payroll in MLB.  Will they do this?  NO.  But could they?  I think It's possible.  The question that remains is if and when they will spend to complete rebuild and how far they are willing to go.  I don't mind that the White Sox save a lot of money and rebuild from time to time as long as they spend and invest in high caliber players when their teams are in a good position to win.

This should totally be the plan.  Then you can focus on the the rest of the roster all offseason.  Clear up that business right away with the pitching going from an obvious weakness to an obvious strength and go from there.  Would make bringing in defensive minded RF a possibility as well if run prevention comes back marginally cheaper or easier to acquire than run scoring.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This should totally be the plan.  Then you can focus on the the rest of the roster all offseason.  Clear up that business right away with the pitching going from an obvious weakness to an obvious strength and go from there.  Would make bringing in defensive minded RF a possibility as well if run prevention comes back marginally cheaper or easier to acquire than run scoring.

Hasn’t this largely been the case (already) since the Heyward and Alex Gordon contracts?

54 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

How would people feel if our offseason consisted of signing Grandal, Calhoun, Abreu, Wheeler, Nova, and a bullpen arm?

It’s close to what I’d like to see done, assuming that bullpen warm is a closer or setup type.  That being said, I think we’d need a 2nd starter with more upside than Nova, especially if Calhoun is the caliber of RF upgrade we’re targeting.

7 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

How would people feel if our offseason consisted of signing Grandal, Calhoun, Abreu, Wheeler, Nova, and a bullpen arm?

I'd like to see a more aggressive approach towards acquiring a #1 or #2 starter. If Jerry is too cheap to sign one, then maybe explore if trading Andrew Vaughn could bring one back.