Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

23 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Quintana for Colome and Dunning. Which side says no? I'm thinking the Cubs say no, if only because Theo won't want to stir up crap about the Eloy trade.

I’m saying no to that in a heartbeat.  There’s a ton of starting pitching that will be available in free agency, zero reason to give up a guy who was a top 100 prospect just a year ago (plus Colome) for one season of Jose Quintana.

10 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

How would people feel if our offseason consisted of signing Grandal, Calhoun, Abreu, Wheeler, Nova, and a bullpen arm?

Replace Nova with Bumgarner and I'll be satisfied.  Replace Nova with Cole  and I'm ecstatic.  The nice thing is... we can afford to go first class.

13 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

How would people feel if our offseason consisted of signing Grandal, Calhoun, Abreu, Wheeler, Nova, and a bullpen arm?

Grandal, Wheeler, Calhoun (or Dickerson), Abreu, Wood and top 5-7 available pen arm would be a very nice offseason.

I do feel like Hahn is likely to plug RF via the trade route though.  

Edited by ChiSox59

5 hours ago, Sarava said:

Quintana for Colome and Dunning. Which side says no? I'm thinking the Cubs say no, if only because Theo won't want to stir up crap about the Eloy trade.

Sox should say no to that.  I'd love to get Q, but I am not giving up Dunning to get him.  And frankly, we could use Colome next year as well.  

I don't think we will sign a big time catcher and will platoon Collins and McCann. I think on the offensive side they will shore up our biggest weaknesses with JDM and a quality RF. We may sign guys to fill out the bench like Adam Jones. These two main moves along with Robert and Magical should significantly improve our offense without having to throw money at catcher. From a defensive standpoint, we may just be screwed and will have to have all defensive guys on the bench for the outfield. 

I see them putting a great deal of effort and money into pitching, and I'd agree with this. Our offense will score runs, but we need Kopech and Cease to be backend guys that aren't relied upon to contribute great play just yet. I'd like to slide Giolito down to second in the rotation by signing a high end 1 or 2 and also sign a number 3. Lopez and Rodon can pitch out of the pen for 2020. A bullpen arm or two will probably finish off their FA. It seems like we are far away in terms of wins but we really aren't.  We are replacing four pathetic offensive positions with good baseball players. We are also bringing our rotation up from terrible to above average with these moves. In turn, our bullpen will be stronger as well. The only weakness continues to be Ricky. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't think we will sign a big time catcher and will platoon Collins and McCann. I think on the offensive side they will shore up our biggest weaknesses with JDM and a quality RF. We may sign guys to fill out the bench like Adam Jones. These two main moves along with Robert and Magical should significantly improve our offense without having to throw money at catcher. From a defensive standpoint, we may just be screwed and will have to have all defensive guys on the bench for the outfield. 

I see them putting a great deal of effort and money into pitching, and I'd agree with this. Our offense will score runs, but we need Kopech and Cease to be backend guys that aren't relied upon to contribute great play just yet. I'd like to slide Giolito down to second in the rotation by signing a high end 1 or 2 and also sign a number 3. Lopez and Rodon can pitch out of the pen for 2020. A bullpen arm or two will probably finish off their FA. It seems like we are far away in terms of wins but we really aren't.  We are replacing four pathetic offensive positions with good baseball players. We are also bringing our rotation up from terrible to above average with these moves. In turn, our bullpen will be stronger as well. The only weakness continues to be Ricky. 

Let’s talk after we see who those other two bats are after Robert/Madrigal...

4 hours ago, fathom said:

I still like Jason Castro as the 3rd piece of catching crew, and spend more money to get JDM.  At this point, I think the WSox are huge favorites for JDM.

I don’t see how JDM fits with the Sox apparently wanting to keep Jose around for a while plus Vaughn a year out.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

I still like Jason Castro as the 3rd piece of catching crew, and spend more money to get JDM.  At this point, I think the WSox are huge favorites for JDM.

Castro would be a good fit next to McCann. Longtime Sox target, good behind the plate, and a 100 wRC+

I was one of Hahns harshest critics but he will get it done this off season. How many players and coaches have already said they expect to compete next year? Off the top of my head Ricky, Abreu, Nova, Yoyo, Gio, Kopech, and Timmy. Clearly, there must be some confidence the necessary moves will be made to compete. Rick has done a lot of talking and wouldn't be allowed back in Illinois if he didn't deliver. 

You know, I do want Jerry to spend until it hurts and Rick Hahn to spend some of the owner's cash. I do, However, I agree Mr. Hahn faces some challenges in this regard. I point out Greinke. Would I want Greinke's production the past few seasons? Yes. But just think, in his six year, $206 million contract, you pay him $32 million in 2020 and $32 million in 2021.

Can we identify the next Greinke? A free agent or two that we must pay 25 to 30 mill a year that guarantees us postseasons? Tough job I'm sure.

It's crazy money to acquire one or two players sometimes. It's up to Hahn and KW to sort all this out and figure out which top dollar players will get us over the hump. Because Jerry's not the easiest man to work for I'm sure in terms of final payroll figures.

Perhaps we need to hire somebody off the Twins staff. They have Cruz as their highest paid player at 14 million for this one year.Next highest is Gonzalez at 12 million; Odorizzi 9.5 million. They only have nine players making over 5 million a year.

In other words, our patient fanbase deserves a winner and Mr. Hahn must Just.Do.It. Make the right decisions, sir.

Twins are 18th in total payroll at 125 million; Sox are 26th at 91 million. tampa bay is last at 63 million. I betcha our payroll will not be over the Twins' 124 mill anytime soon though.

Edited by greg775

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, SonofaRoache said:

I was one of Hahns harshest critics but he will get it done this off season. How many players and coaches have already said they expect to compete next year? Off the top of my head Ricky, Abreu, Nova, Yoyo, Gio, Kopech, and Timmy. Clearly, there must be some confidence the necessary moves will be made to compete. Rick has done a lot of talking and wouldn't be allowed back in Illinois if he didn't deliver. 

Happy to be right on this one. Keep at it Sox!