Bad Contract Assumptions for Prospects Deals

List some bad contract deals that you would like to see but which you know will almost never be considered by our shitty ownership.

I will start with Tyler Chatwood.  The Cubs have some interesting young pitching further away on the farm, most notably Brailyn Marquez.  They also have a lot of needs.  

I would be interested in assuming Chatwood and Russell, and then DFAing Russell, to basically pick up Marquez. 

I think the Cubs could really use Leury, Jay, and our relievers, though I don't know what the price should be.  If I could get Marquez by taking on that salary and giving up 2 or even all 3 of Leury, Jay, and Marshall or Fry I would do that, but would probably want a smaller piece in return.

Anyway, I think Chatwood is a decent bet to get "fixed" enough to bring back some value as a closer next deadline.  Maybe a top-15-20 guy in a good system and half a season's salary relief could be had if we put Chatwood in the closers role for about a year and worked with him a bit.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

1 hour ago, The Ultimate Champion said:

List some bad contract deals that you would like to see but which you know will almost never be considered by our shitty ownership.

I will start with Tyler Chatwood.  The Cubs have some interesting young pitching further away on the farm, most notably Brailyn Marquez.  They also have a lot of needs.  

I would be interested in assuming Chatwood and Russell, and then DFAing Russell, to basically pick up Marquez. 

I think the Cubs could really use Leury, Jay, and our relievers, though I don't know what the price should be.  If I could get Marquez by taking on that salary and giving up 2 or even all 3 of Leury, Jay, and Marshall or Fry I would do that, but would probably want a smaller piece in return.

Anyway, I think Chatwood is a decent bet to get "fixed" enough to bring back some value as a closer next deadline.  Maybe a top-15-20 guy in a good system and half a season's salary relief could be had if we put Chatwood in the closers role for about a year and worked with him a bit.

Hard pass for me.Russell literally has zero value right now. Even with ignoring all the wife-beating baggage, he has been bad this season and has some serious work ethic concerns IMO. Guy probably does need a change of scenery, but I sincerely hope it is far away from the South Side. Chatwood is nothing but a lateral move along with trading cost-controlled assets to simply acquire Marquez. There are plenty better guys to go after, especially when the Cubs are near the bottom in farm depth.

As I said above, I would trade for Russell just to DFA him.  He is salary.  The key is that you help the Cubs out by taking on some bad salary and keeping them under the tax.  You give them useful players.  In Chatwood's case, you take on his 2020 season and give them more FA room.  In turn, you try to get some talent.

Other salary ideas with Boston which someone else mentioned is Castillo.  Also they have Pearce.  Yasmany Tomas in AZ might get you something.

I would love to buy low on Jeff Hoffman but I don't know how we make a deal with them as a noncontender.  Taking on Ian Desmond's contract?  I would not touch Wade Davis' contract with a 10 ft. pole.

12 hours ago, The Ultimate Champion said:

As I said above, I would trade for Russell just to DFA him.  He is salary.  The key is that you help the Cubs out by taking on some bad salary and keeping them under the tax.  You give them useful players.  In Chatwood's case, you take on his 2020 season and give them more FA room.  In turn, you try to get some talent

1. Russell isn't making that much money, not nearly enough where they need to move his contract for salary purposes

2. It's a little weird that you were complaining about Tim Anderson in another thread and wanting to trade him because you're "tired of his bullshit", but you want to trade for the garbage that is Addison Russell... even if the purpose is to DFA him, that's still pretty strange 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

Trading money for prospects is a good idea in theory but the Sox will never do it.

Never seems like a stretch.  They took on Alex Rios bad contract at the time, and they didn't even get any prospects in return.  

I personally don't really care to blow our financial flexibility on adding bad contracts.  You could convince me on a guy like Grienke.  But I just don't think its a wise use of resources unless the prospect coming back with it moves the needle that much.  Obviously it is a case by case situation, but its not something I am really advocating for.  I did mention taking back Rusney Castillo in a deal for Benintendi in that thread, and that would be of interest, but again, doubt the Red Sox care to use one of their better assets just to save $25M on Castillo and add some quality vets for the stretch run.   

On 7/23/2019 at 11:07 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Never seems like a stretch.  They took on Alex Rios bad contract at the time, and they didn't even get any prospects in return.  

I personally don't really care to blow our financial flexibility on adding bad contracts.  You could convince me on a guy like Grienke.  But I just don't think its a wise use of resources unless the prospect coming back with it moves the needle that much.  Obviously it is a case by case situation, but its not something I am really advocating for.  I did mention taking back Rusney Castillo in a deal for Benintendi in that thread, and that would be of interest, but again, doubt the Red Sox care to use one of their better assets just to save $25M on Castillo and add some quality vets for the stretch run.   

You really do not see teams take on bad salary in exchange for prospects all that often at the mlb level. These sorts of trades are way more common in the NBA.

• Like 1

I'd kick the tires on Grienke and see what it'd take.  A healthy Koepech and a seasoned Cease next year along with Giolito and adding Grienke would be a solid staff. I think the Sox look at contending next year.

16 minutes ago, Wanne said:

I'd kick the tires on Grienke and see what it'd take.  A healthy Koepech and a seasoned Cease next year along with Giolito and adding Grienke would be a solid staff. I think the Sox look at contending next year.

I’d love to go get Greinke. Plus you have the possibility of Rodon later in the year. That would help eliminate the need to depend on the Covey/Detwilers of the world.