Will you be mad if the Sox do not seriously try to move Abreu?

Trading Abreu  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be legitimately mad at the Sox if they do not try to move Abreu for value? Simple question.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think a desire for Abreu's leadership at the cost of even a decent prospect or a package of "wildcards" like a Jose Rodriguez, Lenyn Sosa, etc., would be a sign of organizational incompetence?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Serious question: are you completely done with Abreu, to the point where you will actually be happier to see his ABs go to some other younger player, even if that other younger player happens to perform horribly?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You can think about WAR when Jose fails to properly get off the bag with a runner on 1st and a double play ball turns into runs for the opposition as it did the other night in Tampa.  I personally cannot wait to have Vaughn at 1st so we don't have to play with a statue at 1st anymore.

@mqr lol.

I can’t wait to see Abreu starting at 1st base next spring and in the spring of 2021. 

I have feeling my “can’t wait” is much more likely than yours.

• Like 1

I seem to have more time than I thought I would have. It’s given me a chance to post since I’ve been itching to do it for awhile. Abreu is a funny situation. On one hand, he does produce numbers even if his average and OBP keeps going down. Especially noticeable the last couple years. But, He is still on pace for his usual 30 doubles and 30 homers with 100 rbi’s, you can’t deny it. Although his war numbers are on pace for the same 1.7 as last year. What do you do?

Some on here say you won’t get anything for him. If that is the case than he has to stay. On the other hand, if you can get a nice prospect for him, you almost have to do it. He will be 33 and I am sure his numbers will keep trending downward. It’s really an easy decision. 

Vaughn is the only thing we have that could take his position so when he comes up will decide how long we should keep Abreu. He wants to stay here so I’m sure that can be arranged. You can’t keep vaughn from coming up just because you love the player you already have. Especially one who will be 33 the following year. Makes no sense. I hear some want to sign him for 3 years, that is just too long because we will have many players to replace him. Year, possibly 2 is the max you can sign him. Any more would be a waste. 

Now for fans like Greg, I understand what he’s saying. He wants to reward Abreu for all the great numbers he’s produced in the past. And by doing so, we should win in the process. I think that’s one of the reasons why a city like Chicago has so few championships. We fall in love with our players and keep them too long, getting nothing in return. If you look at some of the winning teams, they get extra picks plus good prospects doing so. It’s how it is nowadays. With Abreu being 33 next year, there should not even be a discussion about trading him. If you get something, you do it. If not, he stays. Plus, it’s not like he wasn’t rewarded already. He never played in the majors before and he signed a huge contract to do so. He definitely got paid for what he’s done since he was here.

Edited by Drwhoo1

3 hours ago, Tony said:

greg doesn't watch baseball and doesn't know that other players.....better players, exist and are available for purchase. 

If a game isn't played in Chicago or Kansas City, it doesn't count. 

There's sort of a negative vibe around here about Abreu and I don't like it.

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

There's sort of a negative vibe around here about Abreu and I don't like it.

Maybe the vibe is because Jose sets such a poor example for the kids by throwing such fat lippers in constantly - all while breaking the law (that's illegal in Chicago ballparks). 

3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I value all-star appearances, RBIs, and total bases over war. 

Ever since about a month ago or so when someone posted that Colome had a war of 0.5 (with all his saves) while Herrera had a war of 0.7 (with all his gas can pitching), war has had almost no credibility with me. 

Man, you're on the furthest side of the meatball spectrum. Even slight meatballs would think you're a meatball. 

• Haha 1

Jose Abreu has an OPS+ of 107. That’s really good for a slick fielding middle infielder, but that is disastrous for a guy who is a defensive liability at 1B. 

As I said, I believe Abreu would get Avi kind of money on the open market. The fact that people here try to convince themselves that he is a great hitter is freaking hilarious

Edited by GermanSoxFan

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Jose Abreu has an OPS+ of 107. That’s really good for a slick fielding middle infielder, but that is disastrous for guy who is a defensive liability at 1B. 

As I said, I believe Abreu would get Avi kind of money on the open market. The fact that people here try to convince themselves that he is a great hitter is freaking hilariousß

At least he knows the shortest path from one spot to another spot is a straight line

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The fact that people here try to convince themselves that he is a great hitter is freaking hilarious

Why the snark? What has Jose ever done to anger the fans? Is it his recent outburst? He spoke the truth. Back in the day when a player made the all star team, Sox fans rallied behind them big time. 

16 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Jose Abreu has an OPS+ of 107. That’s really good for a slick fielding middle infielder, but that is disastrous for a guy who is a defensive liability at 1B. 

As I said, I believe Abreu would get Avi kind of money on the open market. The fact that people here try to convince themselves that he is a great hitter is freaking hilarious

I just don't get why some people are treating him like he's a hall of famer, and it's not just Greg. He had 1 phenomenal year and a bunch  of pretty solid ones. 

A nice player that I've been glad to have around? Yeah

Someone who needs to be treated as a pillar of White Sox baseball? GTFO

3 hours ago, mqr said:

I just don't get why some people are treating him like he's a hall of famer, and it's not just Greg. He had 1 phenomenal year and a bunch  of pretty solid ones. 

A nice player that I've been glad to have around? Yeah

Someone who needs to be treated as a pillar of White Sox baseball? GTFO

I can't wait to see the team of all stars the Sox are going to apparently put out there in a few seasons. It seems from reading the opinions of the modern fan, some of you stat folks want a high WAR guy, a standout at every position. If Jose isn't good enough for some of you, again, I can't wait til we have a star at every position which seems to be your goal. I'm assuming the list of high WAR stars who will be starting (and sufficient enough for the modern advanced stat fan) are: 3B- Moncada. SS-Timmy. 2B-Madrigal. 1B-Vaughn (my Q is will any fans ultimately decide Timmy for some reason is not good nuff and they'll pull an Abreu on him; for the record I'm high on Timmy). LF-Eloy. CF-Robert. RF-Star to be determined. C-Star to be determined (McCann isn't quite superstar enough). Pitchers: Kopech, Gio, Cease, Lopez, Star to Be Determined for No. 5 (Lopez may not be good nuff for this rotation). Relievers: Bummer and the rest stars to be determined.

BTW the results of the poll here encourage greg. Looks like Jose wins big in terms of the poll. I wish some of the pro-Jose people would speak up more. The results of the poll questions are in great support of my idol, Jose Abreu. GO SOX!

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

If Abreu and Hahn can agree on an extension we could move on from this endless discussion.  Without an extension the Sox would be foolish to either offer a qualifying offer or watch Jose walk.  

Aside from my belief that the Sox don't really want to extend him, I doubt he'd take a market rate extension anyway.  I doubt he has a firm grip on what his value really is (and how it's fallen) and will likely have to see the offers in the open market for reality to set in.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Aside from my belief that the Sox don't really want to extend him, I doubt he'd take a market rate extension anyway.  I doubt he has a firm grip on what his value really is (and how it's fallen) and will likely have to see the offers in the open market for reality to set in.

If that's the case...it should be the team we dealt with that let's him walk.  No one will be giving him a qualifying offer IMO.  We might be getting him back in the off season for single digits.  Stranger things have happened.

10 hours ago, poppysox said:

If that's the case...it should be the team we dealt with that let's him walk.  No one will be giving him a qualifying offer IMO.  We might be getting him back in the off season for single digits.  Stranger things have happened.

I certainly think he should be traded.  As for signing him back, perhaps, but I would hope we could do better (emphasis on hope) or even yet youngsters play the position.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:20 PM, GermanSoxFan said:

Ok, who are you going to get that is better for next year and 2021?

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They’re sticking with Collins at catcher for now.  Who are these others you are referring to?

I don't know.  There a lots of bats they stick there.  Vaughn should be ready in a year and a half.  If they need to sign someone short term for a year, that's fine.

The issue isn't 1b or RF (good lord).    It's pitching.   Young pitching with control.  1/2 of this staff is org guys.  Want to send someone down, all they have is org. guys to take their place.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

I don't know.  There a lots of bats they stick there.  Vaughn should be ready in a year and a half.  If they need to sign someone short term for a year, that's fine.

The issue isn't 1b or RF (good lord).    It's pitching.   Young pitching with control.  1/2 of this staff is org guys.  Want to send someone down, all they have is org. guys to take their place.

That’s because we’ve been ravished with injuries.  Kopech & Rodon would be in the rotation right now and possibly even Dunning.  Our best minor league depth options (Lambert & Flores) both missed time or are out of the season.  The same applies to potential bullpen options like Jones, Hamilton & Burr (and Burdi to a lesser extent).  Very few teams could overcome the hand we’ve been dealt.