2019-2020 NCAA Basketball thread

I don't think Maryland or Michigan are truly top 5 teams (if they are, this is a down year in college bball), but still, the last two weeks have given me a lot of hope that Illinois can be really good come March. Like, get to the tourney and win a few games good. Kofi just went against two of the best bigs in the league and mostly dominated them. 20 more games to gain experience...

Would be nice of Trent played like Trent again. And if Giorgi and Ayo protected the ball a little more. But overall the defense is sooooo improved. Effort and intensity has changed too. Night and day. That Miami loss may have been a good thing.

5 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I don't think Maryland or Michigan are truly top 5 teams (if they are, this is a down year in college bball), but still, the last two weeks have given me a lot of hope that Illinois can be really good come March. Like, get to the tourney and win a few games good. Kofi just went against two of the best bigs in the league and mostly dominated them. 20 more games to gain experience...

Would be nice of Trent played like Trent again. And if Giorgi and Ayo protected the ball a little more. But overall the defense is sooooo improved. Effort and intensity has changed too. Night and day. That Miami loss may have been a good thing.

Agree with this and in all honestly, Illinois should be 9-1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great win, despite the officiating, which was absolutely atrocious. Illinois guys got murdered but Kofi picked up two for simply being too big. I thought they were trying to weed out flopping? Wisconsin (Davison in particular) were gifted calls all night. The total non-call on the last play (on Giorgi) was laughable, but hey, i'll take it given the crap Illinois (and other teams) go through at the Kohl Center.

If Griffin doesn't start from this point forward Underwood should be fired immediately. Dude is too good to be losing minutes to Williams, who is, at best, an OK defender (when not matched up with someone bigger). He's a complete zero on offense. They were playing 4 on 5 last night when he was in the game. 

Take Rutgers and NW at home to get to 5-2.....then a tough slate going to Purdue and Michigan, home against Minn and then to Iowa. 7-4 would be amazing. 6-5 would be totally fine. 

On 1/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, Jenksismyhero said:

Great win, despite the officiating, which was absolutely atrocious. Illinois guys got murdered but Kofi picked up two for simply being too big. I thought they were trying to weed out flopping? Wisconsin (Davison in particular) were gifted calls all night. The total non-call on the last play (on Giorgi) was laughable, but hey, i'll take it given the crap Illinois (and other teams) go through at the Kohl Center.

If Griffin doesn't start from this point forward Underwood should be fired immediately. Dude is too good to be losing minutes to Williams, who is, at best, an OK defender (when not matched up with someone bigger). He's a complete zero on offense. They were playing 4 on 5 last night when he was in the game. 

Take Rutgers and NW at home to get to 5-2.....then a tough slate going to Purdue and Michigan, home against Minn and then to Iowa. 7-4 would be amazing. 6-5 would be totally fine. 

I'm fine with Griffin coming off the bench still because he provides a spark.  Him and Feliz are those two guys that can do that from the bench and relish in those roles right now.  

On 1/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, Jenksismyhero said:

Griffin needs 25 minutes (as long as he isn't in foul trouble).  Starting him is irrelevant and bringing him off the bench actually probably works best for this team since they don't have a ton of shooters.  If you start Griffin with Ayo and Frazier it makes it a lot harder to set the rotations such that two of those guys are always on the floor. 

• Like 1

I disagree. I want to get out to a 10 pt lead in games, not get 10 minutes into the game down a few points, constantly clawing back. Again, Williams gives you absolutely nothing on offense. It's 4 on 5 to start the game until Griffin comes in. So why even screw with it? IMO the rotation would be Ayo/Trent/Griffin with Frazier and Kipper replacing the two guys that need a rest. Williams as the secondary back-up if needed for defense only. 

What was the deal with Tevian Jones? Did he do some academic thing? It sucks he was suspended so long. He's completely lost out there and there's really no way he can learn on the fly during conference season. He'd be a great alternative to Williams.

3 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I disagree. I want to get out to a 10 pt lead in games, not get 10 minutes into the game down a few points, constantly clawing back. Again, Williams gives you absolutely nothing on offense. It's 4 on 5 to start the game until Griffin comes in. So why even screw with it? IMO the rotation would be Ayo/Trent/Griffin with Frazier and Kipper replacing the two guys that need a rest. Williams as the secondary back-up if needed for defense only. 

What was the deal with Tevian Jones? Did he do some academic thing? It sucks he was suspended so long. He's completely lost out there and there's really no way he can learn on the fly during conference season. He'd be a great alternative to Williams.

Who knows what happened with Jones.  That kid has only hurt his college career.  Illinois have over signed by one next season.  Wouldn't be shocked if Jones is gone after the year.

Iowa destroyed Maryland with basically six players...well, really just two.  And Garza can barely dunk, although he’s the perfect college player.  This after losing at Nebraska, and 8 road games in their last 10, not to mention they’re without four of their top players.  Not to mention Cook tried the NBA, Moss transferred to Kansas,

Talent is way way down this year at the NCAA level.

Could be an Elite 8 or Final 4 level of team with everyone coming back and healthy next year.  Probably doomed for NIT with the depth issues.  Of course, that hasn’t happened very much over the last twenty years.

23 hours ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Griffin needs 25 minutes (as long as he isn't in foul trouble).  Starting him is irrelevant and bringing him off the bench actually probably works best for this team since they don't have a ton of shooters.  If you start Griffin with Ayo and Frazier it makes it a lot harder to set the rotations such that two of those guys are always on the floor. 

Agree with this. There are only two above average 3 point shooters in the rotation (Frazier and Griffin) and it just makes more sense to stagger them a bit, Griffin still gets starters minutes and can close games out. The shooting should be a bit better next year with the additions of Hutcherson and Adam Miller. Good sign that Underwood is making a strong all around roster.

I’ve followed college hoops closely for 30 years now, and I can confidently say this is the worst overall talent level during that span. Even some of these guys supposed to be top picks, like Edwards, are overrated as hell.  Wiseman and Anthony being out doesn’t help either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 1:27 PM, Boogua said:

Illinois first 6 big ten games were all against KenPom top 35 teams. Record 4-2. I figured Underwood had the team trending upward going into the year, and here we are.

Those first 12ish games the team looked brutal, but credit to them and the staff for finding their groove.  They're about to get punched a couple times in this schedule, will be interesting and nerve wracking to see how they do.