2019-2020 NCAA Basketball thread

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Iowa probably has the lowest number of Top 50 recruits of any program consistently in the Top 20-25 over the last 7 years.

It has been ages since their last McDonald’s All-American.

This is a made up caufield stat if I've ever seen one.

Wieskamp was a top 45 recruit in America. Garza had about 1000 offers. McCaffrey (who sucks) was a top 100 recruit. The NCAAB  world of shady business takes care of a lot more than just the McDonalds All-Americans. Everyone is being paid.

I'd say Wichita easily has the fewest top 50 recruits of any program that has consistently been very good for the past decade. Early was the biggest signing they had during their peak years.

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wieskamp was a top 45 recruit in America. Garza had about 1000 offers. McCaffrey (who sucks) was a top 100 recruit. The NCAAB  world of shady business takes care of a lot more than just the McDonalds All-Americans. Everyone is being paid.

I'd say Wichita easily has the fewest top 50 recruits of any program that has consistently been very good for the past decade. Early was the biggest signing they had during their peak years.

It's not made up. There's one top 50 guy. Wieskamp. Garza was 111 and had 28 offers, and not exactly from the who's who of the final 4. The younger McCaffrey is the guy who is going to be a player as long as his body will let him. He had cancer in HS and it's still messing with his 6'9" 180 lb. body. Conor is more of an agitator He has some value. . 

Edited by Dick Allen

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's not made up. There's one top 50 guy. Wieskamp. Garza was 111 and had 28 offers, and not exactly from the who's who of the final 4. The younger McCaffrey is the guy who is going to be a player as long as his body will let him. He had cancer in HS and it's still messing with his 6'9" 180 lb. body.

Well it is made up, because Wichita has been better and they have had zero top recruits: For example, you say Garza was 111 but that's higher than anyone Wichita has signed since 2010 but for Shamet.

It hasn't been checked, verified or analyzed in anyway so I'm not sure how it can be said confidently. 

Since 2010, Wichita State has 1 top 100 recruit:

2015: Shamet (86)

and two Top 150 recruits:

2019: Etienne (117) Sheff (118)

In that time, Wichita State has a combined record of 297-80 with 1 FF and 6 trips beyond the first game. 

Now, Greg Marshall is the best coach in the country and it's not a shot at Fran to say he hasn't been as good as Greg, but Iowa certainly has not won more with fewer top 100 recruits than anyone in America. That award goes to the Shockers and who should be the Bulls next head coach but we know it'll never happen.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well it is made up, because Wichita has been better and they have had zero top recruits: For example, you say Garza was 111 but that's higher than anyone Wichita has signed since 2010 but for Shamet.

It hasn't been checked, verified or analyzed in anyway so I'm not sure how it can be said confidently. 

Since 2010, Wichita State has 1 top 100 recruit:

2015: Shamet (86)

and two Top 150 recruits:

2019: Etienne (117) Sheff (118)

In that time, Wichita State has a combined record of 297-80 with 1 FF and 6 trips beyond the first game. 

Now, Greg Marshall is the best coach in the country and it's not a shot at Fran to say he hasn't been as good as Greg, but Iowa certainly has not won more with fewer top 100 recruits than anyone in America. That award goes to the Shockers and who should be the Bulls next head coach but we know it'll never happen.

Do you really think they would have made the tournament as often if they played a Big Ten schedule? 

2 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

The dude got suspended because of his anger. That's not competitiveness, he's just an asshole. How many other coaches in the big ten have been suspended for being an ass? I literally can't think of any other than guys like Bob Knight, who was a great coach and an awful human being.

Yesterday, whether wrong or right, is just another example. Illinois' coaches shouldn't have been chirping at him or other Iowa players, but as the HEAD coach, why are you even getting involved? Be above the situation, say good game and move on. Instead, he actually pulls his players off the court (something he has done before in similar situations). 

After the Kansas/Kansas St debacle, I would have done the same thing Fran did and pull my players off the court if there was any possibility of the coaches arguing turned into a bigger deal.  But yes, as a fan of neither team, Fran is a jerk.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Do you really think they would have made the tournament as often if they played a Big Ten schedule? 

Absolutely. Theyve been one of the fifteen best programs in america for a decade.

Marshall is the best coach in the country.

They have some of the best facilities in America (Koch mania). 

They have one of the five best records vs tourney teams since 2011.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Van Vleet was huge, so was Shamet.  Them being so damn good in that time frame really sucked with the Salukis in complete tatters 

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Van Vleet was huge, so was Shamet.  Them being so damn good in that time frame really sucked with the Salukis in complete tatters 

Van Vleet was 138 in the nation. Certainly a nice get for a MM, but not a huge recruit.

I was at ISU at the time. I had to watch Wichita beat ISU out of a bid like 97 years in a row. Osiris still has nightmares.

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Huge Valley fan, just not a great season. Salukis blow too, obviously.

It's a weird season.  Evansville beats Kentucky at Rupp and then turns into a pumpkin, UNI and Loyola start off really strong until recently and the Salukis with a Frankenstein team somehow competing.  I think UNI ends up as the bid in the end

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Boy am I going to be in trouble with my March madness brackets this year....I already always pick my Alma matter to go too far whenever they get to the dance....and now Dayton is ranked #3 in the polls....I guess I will really be living and dying with the Flyers this year.  It is a long way from when I was there and the most exciting game I remember was beating a #25 ranked Ohio State team (and of course whenever we beat Notre Dame)