Jump to content
Kyyle23

2019-2020 NCAA Basketball thread

Recommended Posts

I don't think we can underestimate how big of a win that is last night for Illinois.  To break the slumps at Wisconsin and Purdue is huge.  

14-5 overall and 6-2 in the B1G.  Keep it rollin boys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

How much heat are Collins and Painter under?

Collins probably has another season before his seat gets warm. They went to the tourney and have had two terrible seasons since. If things don't improve next year I think you hear rumblings. Then maybe the season after that when it's a possibility they move on. He's signed through 2024-2025.

Painter is years away. He just went to an elite eight last year and two sweet sixteens before that. He gets to the tournament nearly every year. Gene Keady is the standard at Purdue and he has met, if not exceeded, that. That's his job for life unless Purdue goes 3-4 seasons being totally irrelevant, which I don't see happening. He's too good of a coach and knows how to recruit guys for his system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

I don't think we can underestimate how big of a win that is last night for Illinois.  To break the slumps at Wisconsin and Purdue is huge.  

14-5 overall and 6-2 in the B1G.  Keep it rollin boys.

If they can win @ Mich and at home against Minnesota I think they are legit contenders for the conference title. Lot of winnable games against the top of the conference left (home against Maryland and Michigan State). 

I'll be rooting for Indiana tomorrow. First time in a LONG time I can say that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brian said:

Salukis will probably win Arch Madness

 

Last night was very enjoyable to watch. Future of this program is very bright. Especially if Cook returns. Sounds like Harvey is turning heads in practice too. A lot to look forward to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ayo put the team on his back. Can't believe they won that game with Kofi being invisible and Trent out most of the game with foul trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good game from Illinois today in a tough loss to Iowa.  Not worried about this loss because Illinois is the better and tougher team.  Ayo, Kofi, and Giorgi were not good today.  

With that said, f*** Fran McCaffery and the Iowa players for that dunk at the end.  They're a bunch of douchebags that will have a tough time in March.  They have 3 players and that is it.  F*** Iowa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Very good game from Illinois today in a tough loss to Iowa.  Not worried about this loss because Illinois is the better and tougher team.  Ayo, Kofi, and Giorgi were not good today.  

With that said, f*** Fran McCaffery and the Iowa players for that dunk at the end.  They're a bunch of douchebags that will have a tough time in March.  They have 3 players and that is it.  F*** Iowa

Dunking up 8 with 20 or so seconds left when other team is pressing is completely fine. Also, little known fact that you actually get the most NET ranking scoring margin points if you win by ten.  That mess wasn’t due to the dunk, it was because Fran’s son was mad Illinois was trying to hack him at the end and mouthed off.

Edited by fathom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, fathom said:

Dunking up 8 with 20 or so seconds left when other team is pressing is completely fine. Also, little known fact that you actually get the most NET ranking scoring margin points if you win by ten.  That mess wasn’t due to the dunk, it was because Fran’s son was mad Illinois was trying to hack him at the end and mouthed off.

Saw that the real reason was when Garza hit a three and and mouthed off to the Illini bench saying "This is my b****"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Very good game from Illinois today in a tough loss to Iowa.  Not worried about this loss because Illinois is the better and tougher team.  Ayo, Kofi, and Giorgi were not good today.  

With that said, f*** Fran McCaffery and the Iowa players for that dunk at the end.  They're a bunch of douchebags that will have a tough time in March.  They have 3 players and that is it.  F*** Iowa

If you don't want them to dunk on you at the end, don't press. If you think Illinois is the better and tougher team, you might want to be worried they lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian said:

Fran is just a miserable crybaby. /thread

It's incredible he has a job in 2020. He's a clown. Frankly I'd be embarrassed if I were an Iowa fan. He's a meme-generator on a nightly basis. 

It was funny to actually be let down after a road loss. Expectations have changed for this program so quickly. Despite terrible play from their starters, they had the game there for the taking with a lead and the ball with 4 minutes to go. Giorgi's lazy pass against the press created a 4 pt swing and that was that. I think it was 11 straight points by Iowa as part of a 15-3 run after that to finish the game. 

I'm growing a bit concerned that Kofi has hit the freshman wall. He hasn't looked good in 4 out of the last 5 games now. I think a big part of that is a lot of those teams - Iowa, Michigan, Northwestern - have 5's that spread the floor and shoot 3's. I think he's getting warn out covering so much floor. 

The next two games are huge. Beat Maryland and MSU at home and you're in the driver seat for the conference title. Lose one or both and you have some tough, tough must wins on the road - Rutgers, Penn State and Ohio State.

Man it's nice playing relevant games in February again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

It's incredible he has a job in 2020. He's a clown. Frankly I'd be embarrassed if I were an Iowa fan. He's a meme-generator on a nightly basis. 

It was funny to actually be let down after a road loss. Expectations have changed for this program so quickly. Despite terrible play from their starters, they had the game there for the taking with a lead and the ball with 4 minutes to go. Giorgi's lazy pass against the press created a 4 pt swing and that was that. I think it was 11 straight points by Iowa as part of a 15-3 run after that to finish the game. 

I'm growing a bit concerned that Kofi has hit the freshman wall. He hasn't looked good in 4 out of the last 5 games now. I think a big part of that is a lot of those teams - Iowa, Michigan, Northwestern - have 5's that spread the floor and shoot 3's. I think he's getting warn out covering so much floor. 

The next two games are huge. Beat Maryland and MSU at home and you're in the driver seat for the conference title. Lose one or both and you have some tough, tough must wins on the road - Rutgers, Penn State and Ohio State.

Man it's nice playing relevant games in February again!

His team is ranked in the top 20 despite playing without his prized freshman and what would have been his top 3 seniors. Bohanon hurt. Moss grad transfer to Kansas, and Tyler Cook wanted to play minor league basketball.  He is one of the better coaches in the Big Ten. Funny Fran is a clown to Illinois fans when Lou Henson used to be a regular on Dick Vitales all crybaby team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

His team is ranked in the top 20 despite playing without his prized freshman and what would have been his top 3 seniors. Bohanon hurt. Moss grad transfer to Kansas, and Tyler Cook wanted to play minor league basketball.  He is one of the better coaches in the Big Ten. Funny Fran is a clown to Illinois fans when Lou Henson used to be a regular on Dick Vitales all crybaby team. 

He's a fine coach, doesn't mean he's not a dick too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

He's a fine coach, doesn't mean he's not a dick too.

He is actually one of the most decent human beings coaching Division 1 basketball. Squeaky clean recruiter. Very nice man off the court.  Just is competitive as hell. There are a lot of guys like that. I was at the Loyola game Saturday night. I though Porter Moser was going to have an aneurysm about 15 times. 

Edited by Dick Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He is actually one of the most decent human beings coaching Division 1 basketball. Squeaky clean recruiter. Very nice man off the court.  Just is competitive as hell.

The dude got suspended because of his anger. That's not competitiveness, he's just an asshole. How many other coaches in the big ten have been suspended for being an ass? I literally can't think of any other than guys like Bob Knight, who was a great coach and an awful human being.

Yesterday, whether wrong or right, is just another example. Illinois' coaches shouldn't have been chirping at him or other Iowa players, but as the HEAD coach, why are you even getting involved? Be above the situation, say good game and move on. Instead, he actually pulls his players off the court (something he has done before in similar situations). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He is actually one of the most decent human beings coaching Division 1 basketball. Squeaky clean recruiter. Very nice man off the court.  Just is competitive as hell. There are a lot of guys like that. I was at the Loyola game Saturday night. I though Porter Moser was going to have an aneurysm about 15 times. 

Moser has always been really animated on the court, but off the court and in practice he's not quite as much of a big mouth. 

Liked Porter as a person at ISU but thought he failed to get the most out of the athletic talent at the school. He has done a much better job with lesser athletes at Loyola. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He is actually one of the most decent human beings coaching Division 1 basketball. Squeaky clean recruiter. Very nice man off the court.  Just is competitive as hell. There are a lot of guys like that. I was at the Loyola game Saturday night. I though Porter Moser was going to have an aneurysm about 15 times. 

There's no such thing as a "squeaky clean recruiter" in major D1 basketball; I'm not a big fan of judging the character of D1 basketball coaches. It's an industry that naturally doesn't draw the best of human beings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There's no such thing as a "squeaky clean recruiter" in major D1 basketball; I'm not a big fan of judging the character of D1 basketball coaches. It's an industry that naturally doesn't draw the best of human beings.

Fran is about as clean as it gets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

The dude got suspended because of his anger. That's not competitiveness, he's just an asshole. How many other coaches in the big ten have been suspended for being an ass? I literally can't think of any other than guys like Bob Knight, who was a great coach and an awful human being.

Yesterday, whether wrong or right, is just another example. Illinois' coaches shouldn't have been chirping at him or other Iowa players, but as the HEAD coach, why are you even getting involved? Be above the situation, say good game and move on. Instead, he actually pulls his players off the court (something he has done before in similar situations). 

I played baseball with a guy who to this day is one of the greatest friends anyone could ever have. He used to throw helmets and bats and got suspended. The guy thought he should hit .900. Just because you act like an ass every now and then doesn't make you one. There are a lot of Jekyll and Hyde guys playing and coaching. 

Edited by Dick Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Fran is about as clean as it gets. 

Sure, but he participates in the AAU world and market and he signs players from there, which in turn mean he's not clean; cleaner, possibly.

The college basketball landscape is just so trashy and scummy it's impossible to succeed without getting a little dirty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

His team is ranked in the top 20 despite playing without his prized freshman and what would have been his top 3 seniors. Bohanon hurt. Moss grad transfer to Kansas, and Tyler Cook wanted to play minor league basketball.  He is one of the better coaches in the Big Ten. Funny Fran is a clown to Illinois fans when Lou Henson used to be a regular on Dick Vitales all crybaby team. 

That’s not to mention Jack Nunge’s ACL and his son Patrick’s cancer issues recurring.

Every Iowa fan would have said they were likely to be NIT bound six weeks ago, at best.

Next year, if Weiskamp comes back, they’re a Top 5-10 team nationally.  Also, assuming Garza stays, but he’s not much of an NBA prospect, Weasy is somewhere around the 60 range in draft rankings.

So how can a coach with just two Top 100 recruits (Weiskamp and Patrick McCaffrey) be underachieving with a bench of three players who are extremely limited?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but he participates in the AAU world and market and he signs players from there, which in turn mean he's not clean; cleaner, possibly.

The college basketball landscape is just so trashy and scummy it's impossible to succeed without getting a little dirty.

Iowa probably has the lowest number of Top 50 recruits of any program consistently in the Top 20-25 over the last 7 years.

It has been ages since their last McDonald’s All-American.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×