Sox changing up their amateur scouting department according to Mark Gonzales

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

and be good or bad in as many different ways.  lame ass report.  if that's all he had he should have waited.

Right? Maybe Nick Hostetler got a promotion and they are backfilling. Maybe he got fired and are replacing him. Maybe they're just shuffling deck chairs. 

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

and be good or bad in as many different ways.  lame ass report.  if that's all he had he should have waited.

Seriously. Hoping it’s infusion of PD guys and a pitching dev head

This got me thinking, the relationship between Scouting director and PD director has got to be tenuous. I imagine they’re always trying to blame each other for the losses and take credit for wins. 

Edit: not referring to Hostetler and Getz specifically. Just in general. 

Edited by mqr

Just now, mqr said:

This got me thinking, the relationship between Scouting director and PD director has got to be tenuous. I imagine they’re always trying to blame each other for the losses and take credit for wins. 

Could be true and another aspect of a good organization that often goes unnoticed. (i.e. department heads get along, see the big picture and aren't worried about individual success/credit)

I hope Hostetler is getting whacked. He sucks. 

Collins, Burdi and Burger were all huge misses. 

I don't like taking players that are limited in some facet of the game with top 5 picks. Madrigal and Vaughn both fit this category. They both can still be good players, but I feel like that is a waste of a top 5 pick. Those guys are players you take at the back of the top 10. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like taking players that are limited in some facet of the game with top 4 picks. Madrigal and Vaughn both fit this category. 

Um, I mean, every player in the game who isn't Mike Trout is limited in some facet of the game, whether it's the top pick or the bottom...

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

You should take 5 minutes to compare the White Sox drafts of the past decade with other teams. Sale, Anderson, Rodon(look at Kohl Stewart’s and Kolek’s numbers, yikes!) heck even Beckham and Phegley is a lot more than what other teams have to show for.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like taking players that are limited in some facet of the game with top 5 picks. Madrigal and Vaughn both fit this category. They both can still be good players, but I feel like that is a waste of a top 5 pick. Those guys are players you take at the back of the top 10. 

One guy has already reached the big leagues as a #10 pick and the other two had bad injuries. Burdi was a reach as a reliever sure..

Your guys expectations for the 14th pick in the draft are absurd. Anything after 5 is a complete crap shoot.

Madrigal has the best k-bb rate in minor league baseball by 2 times! He is two times better than the next best. That's unreal. Hes also been a gold glove caliber 2nd baseman. Ripping hostetler for drafting madrigal is a laughably bad take.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

You should take 5 minutes to compare the White Sox drafts of the past decade with other teams. Sale, Anderson, Rodon(look at Kohl Stewart’s and Kolek’s numbers, yikes!) heck even Beckham and Phegley is a lot more than what other teams have to show for.

Yeah, many people on this sites expectations for drafts and first round picks outside of the top 5 are absurdly high for baseball.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Complaining about the Madrigal pick is also pretty hilarious. Dude is lighting it up in a notorious pitchers park.

That dude‘s floor is a 2-3 win player. 

Yeah, he has a 172! wRC+ at AA - he's 72% better than average and people are being critical. I honestly can't believe it.

• Like 1

I will never understand the Madrigal hate on this board by some posters, especially considering the lack of strikeouts he brings in a lineup full of them (I get the lack of power in a juiced ball era but it's not like the guy doesn't have an elite hit tool). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, many people on this sites expectations for drafts and first round picks outside of the top 5 are absurdly high for baseball.

It doesn't even have to be their first round pick, and I know that baseball is the biggest crapshoot of them all. At some point, you have to hit on some of these guys. They have virtually nothing to show for their 2016 and 2017 drafts. If they hit on some lower round players instead that would be one thing, but it is mistake after mistake. I don't blame them for Hansen as those are the kind of risks you're supposed to take in the second round, but dammit don't come up empty two years in a row. Is that too much to ask? They have no T100 guys from either draft. They have interesting players(Collins, Sheets, Gonzalez, Lambert) but not much beyond that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think burdi and burger were questionable process, but Collins was a fine pick. Idk how you can complain about getting top 40+ prospects out of the last two

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It doesn't even have to be their first round pick, and I know that baseball is the biggest crapshoot of them all. At some point, you have to hit on some of these guys. They have virtually nothing to show for their 2016 and 2017 drafts. If they hit on some lower round players instead that would be one thing, but it is mistake after mistake. I don't blame them for Hansen as those are the kind of risks you take in the second round, but dammit don't come up empty two years in a row. Is that too much to ask? 

You mean guys like Bummer,Semien, Reed, Nate Jones, Hector Santiago to name a few?

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It doesn't even have to be their first round pick, and I know that baseball is the biggest crapshoot of them all. At some point, you have to hit on some of these guys. They have virtually nothing to show for their 2016 and 2017 drafts. If they hit on some lower round players instead that would be one thing, but it is mistake after mistake. I don't blame them for Hansen as those are the kind of risks you take in the second round, but dammit don't come up empty two years in a row. Is that too much to ask? 

Theo has nothing to show for literally 1/2 his MLB drafs in his career. Don't believe me? Go take a look. Even when he was unreal in Boston he had drafts where NO ONE contributed - same with the cubs now. 

That's how the draft is in baseball. A lot of swings and a lot of misses. When you hit, you just have to make it count.

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think burdi and burger were questionable process, but Collins was a fine pick. Idk how you can complain about getting top 40+ prospects out of the last two

Burger, idk. Literally impossible to say. Process was sound - great metrics and he was a better defender then guys here give him credit for. Track man data was very good.

Burdi was a bad pick. Way too much risk with relievers. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run