Sox changing up their amateur scouting department according to Mark Gonzales

Sleepy Harold

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Its wrong because that's just not how baseball drafts work for the vast majority of MLB teams. Teams dont find 1-2 good players every year. If they did, everytime would be good and filled with home grown talent. Youd be able to build an entire timely nearly every 5 years from just drafting and youd never have to rebuild.

When you look at it that way I agree. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Its wrong because that's just not how baseball drafts work for the vast majority of MLB teams. Teams dont find 1-2 good players every year. If they did, everytime would be good and filled with home grown talent. Youd be able to build an entire timely nearly every 5 years from just drafting and youd never have to rebuild.

I still think the sox have Room to improve in their scouting , drafting and developing.  I don't believe it's as terrible as some people believe on here.  I think it's getting better hopefully continues to get even better.

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Wow that's great.

Amazing. And what I take away is that 4 out of 9 years he didn't find a single big leaguer and he was exploiting the draft back then making it much easier to find talent late.

Man that 2011 draft before he left for the cubs was incredible though. Thankfully he didnt go to the north side one year earlier.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It probably is. Amateur scouting director is a job for a single person with no outside interests. I think Nick has a family. He at least gets to go home more often now.

Yeah I’m not sure people who think it’s a “firing” realize how shitty of a job am scouting actually is. 

30 minutes ago, Thomas_Ventura_Roberts said:

Sox announce that team has promoted Nick Hostetler to special assistant to the general manager, with a particular focus on major league scouting. They say they'll will work quickly to fill his previous role of director of amateur scouting.

God knows they need some kind of help in pro scouting unless you think guys like Keppinger, Dunn, LaRoche, Shark, Alonso, Nova, Santana and so on were "hits."  😂

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

I still think the sox have Room to improve in their scouting , drafting and developing.  I don't believe it's as terrible as some people believe on here.  I think it's getting better hopefully continues to get even better.

This is where I'm at. Its vastly better than it was before, but it's not where it was in the late 80's and early 90's.

• Like 1

I would wait to see what the explanation is before jumping to conclusions.  Nick had said there were 3 regional directors who would eventually be scouting directors, and maybe the Sox wanted to promote one of those guys into Nick's position so as not to lose him.  In addition, maybe Hahn thinks he needs to have someone who can thoroughly do a good job of analyzing minor league players on all teams, including the White Sox's own, so that we can maximize trades consistently instead of trading the wrong players either coming or going.  On the other hand, Kenny Williams wanted to go with the athletic shortstop this year, and this could be an internal disagreement about the direction of minor league scouting in general.   I'm guessing that is less likely; but until we know who is the new scouting director and how they describe Nick's new duties, I don't know how to get a feel for what actually is happening.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They promoted him to get him the hell out of the scouting department.  They're too chicken shit to get him out of the building because they're more worried about public perception than they are about getting it right.  It's a joke.

it certainly appears that way.  if Gar is given a new title before camp hits he can join in on the ping pong and fifa.

The only outcome I’d care about is if they hire externally, otherwise who cares. I don’t think their drafts have been awful, but considering positioning they are subpar, and 2016 strategy was the most trash thing ever.

But, yes, as Sox and bulls fan expectations go,  they could have gone worse. And that’s good enough for some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas_Ventura_Roberts said:

Sox announce that team has promoted Nick Hostetler to special assistant to the general manager, with a particular focus on major league scouting. They say they'll will work quickly to fill his previous role of director of amateur scouting.

Pro scouting has been a major weakness for the org for a very long time, I like the idea of the Sox putting Hostetler there. Hopefully they go outside the org to replace him as Dir. of Amateur scouting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Did the Sox even have someone officially running pro scouting beforehand?

Yeah, there was no one on the site with the title and I don’t remember Hahn or anyone else from the FO mentioning someone handling that responsibility 

15 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Pro scouting has been a major weakness for the org for a very long time, I like the idea of the Sox putting Hostetler there. Hopefully they go outside the org to replace him as Dir. of Amateur scouting. 

Completely agree. Hire someone outside the organization. 

15 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Yeah, there was no one on the site with the title and I don’t remember Hahn or anyone else from the FO mentioning someone handling that responsibility 

Ugh, this caused me to look across a few teams front office pages. The way the Sox is organized and titles is uhh, noticeable.