Sox changing up their amateur scouting department according to Mark Gonzales

Sleepy Harold

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

It actually isn't, because ptatc doesn't lecture people about how they shouldn't bring in their backgrounds in discussion. Your lecture actually stands that it's rude for ptatc to mention it. But ptatc didn't ask to be in this, so let's stop using another poster.

Once again, find a post where I do this. 

500+ posts without one citation to your point. Have a good day as I'll surrender on this too.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, bmags said:

It actually isn't, because ptatc doesn't lecture people about how they shouldn't bring in their backgrounds in discussion. Your lecture actually stands that it's rude for ptatc to mention it. But ptatc didn't ask to be in this, so let's stop using another poster.

Considering that EVERYONE thinks they're a doctor or know better than the professionals...he's one of the most patient posters in the history of the internet dealing with that.

Because he doesn't talk down to anyone to treat people in a condescending fashion, he's earned a lot of respect.  Of course, it's the internet...he's never going to be a "hot take" type of poster because he's so down to earth, logical and analytical/rational, but that's actually a good thing.

NOW, BACK TO CHRIS GETZ IS NOT AN ACE...well, it's just amusing the one thing he's most known to Sox fans is for the "Getz is gay" message Gordon Beckham wrote in the dirt to mess with him.  And for going to Michigan, so you have the Hahn connection there.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think you missed my point, clearly.

You will never see me cite my background/career/education in discussions online because it's irrelevant and if you can't enunciate your position and support it with analytics or facts then your background is irrelevant and is only used as a crux to defend your unsupported position. 

Did you forget where you tried to outcredential Jack then justify it by saying you were doing it to prove a point about how people shouldn't do it? That was what started this whole thing like 15 minutes ago.

• Thanks 1

Rabbit reporting the other name under consideration internally (two huge points in his favor, he signed Buerhle and is the co-founder of ACE)

Nathan Durst--National crosschecker

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathan-durst-2856a76

Also has spent time with the Detroit Tigers.

https://www.southsidesox.com/2015/11/19/9758258/white-sox-have-built-a-baseball-factory-with-ace

Article about the progress of the ACE program...good stuff.

Nathan Durst has been a crosschecker for the Chicago White Sox. He has scouted, among others: Kris Honel, Lucas Harrell, Casey Rogowski, Jay Marshall, Chris Getz, Clayton Richard, Ryan Sweeney, Mark Buehrle, Josh Fields, Adam Russell, Daniel Haigwood, Mike Spidale, Kent Gerst and Charlie Haeger.

This is the best list we've seen so far (of the three names), although Richard and Getz are showing up on both this guy and Mike Shirley's.

Talk about some blasts from the past.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Christ it's morning and we're still having this e-peen contest?  Has there been any on-topic news this morning about the shakeup?

Nope, just that Mike Shirley, Garrett Guest and Nathan "Don't Call Me Fred" Durst are the three top candidates to fill it internally...

Glancing over this thread and there's some real nonsense in here. The jury is out on the 2016 and 2017 draft classes for sure but it's still too early to call them definitely bad. The White Sox employed a draft strategy heavily reliant on college talent to fill the system from the bottom up. It's very fair to question that strategy. They might still have 5-6 big leaguers from that draft though (Collins, Burdi, Hansen, Lambert, Flores, Hamilton). 2017 provided Burger, Sheets, Gonzalez, Johnson, McClure etc. I think the last two drafts have been very good. 

Nick Hostetler didn't get fired. They didn't promote him because they don't want him doing amateur scouting anymore. They've actually decided that he's more useful on the pro side of things at this juncture. This lets him focus on pro scouting and the title allows them to transition without actually firing anyone else. They didn't let Nick Hostetler oversee the two most important drafts of this rebuild only to immediately fire him afterwards. Thats crazy talk. 

I also think Hostetler will be fine finally having an off-season and letting someone else do the Director of Scouting job. The White Sox have issues on the pro scouting side which have been prevalent for yers. This is an attempt to remedy some of that. I think Nathan Durst would be the best internal choice to replace Hostetler but any of the names would be fine. 

This is a pretty significant move in my opinion and a step in the right direction for an organization entering a new phase. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If he convinced the Sox to sign most of those guys, I really don't want him.

It's Buehrle and the dumpster fires.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

500+ posts without one citation to your point. Have a good day as I'll surrender on this too.

Don't half your posts mention how you played college ball or in the area code games or some such?  And no, I'm not going through your post history to find examples.  I have graduate level math courses to take.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Don't half your posts mention how you played college ball or in the area code games or some such?  And no, I'm not going through your post history to find examples.  I have graduate level math courses to take.  

Uh, no... but if it makes you feel better sure. And of course you dont want to go through my post history because it disproves your point.

I've talked about how awful of a baseball player I was at the end, though; that's for sure. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, knightni said:

If he convinced the Sox to sign most of those guys, I really don't want him.

It's Buehrle and the dumpster fires.

Just finding Buehrle alone makes him better than the other two, especially that low in the draft.

Richard and Sweeney have had decent MLB careers, particularly Richard from that spot.  Honel was probably selected because of front office pressure due to his being a local kid.  KW and Josh Fields, the whole football connection, etc.

Fegan was just on the score, said he’d believe they would go outside the organization for this spot about the same time they approve and actually sign a $300+ million contract.

They were also disputing whether it was a demotion or promotion.  Mentioned disappointment with Collins’ development as a catcher and hitting LH pitching.

Edited by caulfield12

42 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Uh, no... but if it makes you feel better sure. And of course you dont want to go through my post history because it disproves your point.

I've talked about how awful of a baseball player I was at the end, though; that's for sure. 

Huh.  OK then.  My bad  I guess.  I must have just read your mind on that stuff as opposed to reading it on here over and over. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They might still have 5-6 big leaguers from that draft though (Collins, Burdi, Hansen, Lambert, Flores, Hamilton). 2017 provided Burger, Sheets, Gonzalez, Johnson, McClure etc. I think the last two drafts have been very good.  

None in the top 100.  And Burdi and his 1.8 Birmingham whip requires a particularly large amount of hoping and praying.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This is as close as this dumbass organization gets to firing someone.  They'll move his desk next to Milton in the storage room and as soon as everyone forgets about him he'll be shown the door.  His reign of terror is finally over.

I know you have an irrational hate of all things Jerry, KW, Hahn, Hostetler, but this is a legit promotion no matter how badly you wish it was something else.

The best spin on all this is that focusing on pro scouting (trades/free agency) is going to quickly become more important than anything else.

Unfortunately, there’s not much obvious to trade with a lack of surplus wealth, which means free agency.

I think everyone would be pleased if we could manage to have more than one successful signing out of 5-7, right?   We need to be at 40%, although 60% would be the mark of some of the best organizations in baseball, typically.

There has to some statistical analysis of FA dollars spent per decade and resulting fWAR...I can’t imagine we would be anywhere but the bottom 3-5 teams.   At least be middle of the pack, the young core can take care of the rest if they develop as expected.

But we desperately need a REAL ace to lead the rotation...as it stands tonight, we’re tied for the 7th pick with Pittsburgh.

5 hours ago, GreenSox said:

None in the top 100.  And Burdi and his 1.8 Birmingham whip requires a particularly large amount of hoping and praying.

The goal is to win championships. Not to land players on arbitrary top 100 lists. Drafting is hard. Go look around the league. 

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This is as close as this dumbass organization gets to firing someone.  They'll move his desk next to Milton in the storage room and as soon as everyone forgets about him he'll be shown the door.  His reign of terror is finally over.

He's not being fired. He's moving to the pro side and the decision is mutual. Stop spouting nonsense. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The goal is to win championships. Not to land players on arbitrary top 100 lists. Drafting is hard. Go look around the league. 

It sure is. and the only way championships happen are via the development of the prospects.  I can't see this  drafting/development org. being considered anything better than average under best-light.  Hopefully  they are aware and take the opportunity to modernize things.

Edited by GreenSox

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Having players on T100 lists helps you win championships, whether you keep the player or us him as a trade chip. The only way to build a sustainable winner is to keep churning MLB quality talent out of your system on an perrenial basis. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Having players on T100 lists helps you win championships, whether you keep the player or us him as a trade chip. The only way to build a sustainable winner is to keep churning MLB quality talent out of your system on an perrenial basis. 

Thanks. I was unaware of this.