Sox changing up their amateur scouting department according to Mark Gonzales

Sleepy Harold

13 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He's not being fired. He's moving to the pro side and the decision is mutual. Stop spouting nonsense. 

As many Bulls and Sox fans know JR leaves himself open to this sort of speculation because his orgs have a history of weird setups and personnel moves and rewarding loyalty above competence.  I'm not going to give a blow by blow of every instance of it but the history of nepotism and intentionally opaque management structures (can't blame someone if nobody is in charge!) is out there in history for anybody to go google.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 10:09 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think you missed my point, clearly.

You will never see me cite my background/career/education in discussions online because it's irrelevant and if you can't enunciate your position and support it with analytics or facts then your background is irrelevant and is only used as a crux to defend your unsupported position. 

Now I am curious, what is your background?

59 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Wouldn't be shocked if they named Coop Pitching Coach Emeritus or something like that soon

Cooper is 63 years old, he really can’t much left in the tank.  To me, he’s the number one guy who has to go in the organization as the game has clearly passed him by IMO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cooper is 63 years old, he really can’t much left in the tank.  To me, he’s the number one guy who has to go in the organization as the game has clearly passed him by IMO.

Yet Stottlemyre’s running out there at 82...and the Marlins, for as many youngsters as they have, are middle of the road in the MLB without an exceeding amount of highly-touted prospects.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yet Stottlemyre’s running out there at 82...and the Marlins, for as many youngsters as they have, are middle of the road in the MLB without an exceeding amount of highly-touted prospects.

Mel Stottlemyre is dead...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My brother has this super meatball approach:

- Cooper should get the job for life because of 2005. I responded that that was 14 years ago and while there are wins (Sale, Quintana), there are big losses. He responds that that's on the pitchers. 

Also worth noting, my brother:

- Thinks Ozzie got a raw deal by the team and would always welcome him back (his favorite player)

- Thinks we shouldn't be made about Voldemort being traded by the team, because he was a 17-year-old at the time, you should always go for it, and we have Tim Anderson. Also, "prospects never pan out."

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

- Cooper should get the job for life because of 2005. I responded that that was 14 years ago and while there are wins (Sale, Quintana), there are big losses. He responds that that's on the pitchers. 

- Thinks Ozzie got a raw deal by the team and would always welcome him back (his favorite player)

- Thinks we shouldn't be made about Voldemort being traded by the team, because he was an 18-year-old at the time, you should always go for it, and we have Tim Anderson. Also, "prospects never pan out."

Hahahaha. That is wonderful. You know who or He who shall not be named. We should just refer to that guy playing short for SD like that. 

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

- Thinks we shouldn't be made about Voldemort being traded by the team, because he was an 18-year-old at the time, you should always go for it, and we have Tim Anderson. Also, "prospects never pan out."

Is your brother Greg? 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

- Thinks we shouldn't be made about Voldemort being traded by the team, because he was an 18-year-old at the time, you should always go for it, and we have Tim Anderson. Also, "prospects never pan out."

17 years old...

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree. But with that title he steps away and won't do much - same thing Herm is doing now as Head Athletic Trainer Emeritus. 

They do that, or Coop just retires. I hope it's after this year, but who know.s 

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

17 years old...

My b. 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is your brother Greg? 

It's like being related to an aggressive, younger greg.

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hahahaha. That is wonderful. You know who or He who shall not be named. We should just refer to that guy playing short for SD like that. 

On April Fool's I almost changed the world filter from Tatis to Voldemort. But now we have Elijah. 

2 hours ago, Quin said:

- Thinks we shouldn't be made about Voldemort being traded by the team, because he was a 17-year-old at the time, you should always go for it, and we have Tim Anderson. Also, "prospects never pan out."

Lol...is your brother Greg?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Quin said:

Does your brother also want to JUST.WIN.BABY? 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Regarding who’s taking over, the longer this takes to be announced, the more likely we’re looking at an outside hire. 

That would be a very refreshing change. Especially if they are from an organization that has a history of success in this area.

Edited by Lip Man 1

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Regarding who’s taking over, the longer this takes to be announced, the more likely we’re looking at an outside hire. 

I hope so.  Although I would think they'd have that worked out before the move. On the other hand, this isn't prime amateur scouting season (except for maybe Cod league), so maybe they wanted to get Hostetler quickly into pro scouting mode.  Heck, I am talking in circles.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That would be a very refreshing change. Especially if they are from an organization that has a history of success in this area.

If it was someone from the inside, it would’ve been announced in the press release that announced Hostetler’s promotion/change/whatever. 

Love this Steve Stone quote and wonder if it might shed light on the Sox's thinking: "The main job of the front office is to evaluate the organizations talent and figure out who is the future and who should be in the rear view mirror going forward. The Dodgers historically have been brilliant at that. You have to know your own players better than anyone else"   

The reason that it might be relevant with regard to Hostetler would be if they value Hostetler's general scouting judgment.  Hahn may want Nick to help him when it comes to evaluating major league players but also to be part of the conversations when the Sox management team is trying to rank their own internal players.  Of course, I am presuming that we really will not know what is going on until the Sox hire their new Scouting Director and until Rick, Nick, and the new scouting director talk about how they view things. I know that Nick already declined to be interviewed until the new Scouting Director is hired.