Sox changing up their amateur scouting department according to Mark Gonzales

Sleepy Harold

They better hurry up, the way things are going...we could fall below 70 wins again and back into the conversation for the #5-6 picks and possibly even 4th.  Although the returns of Jimenez and Anderson will likely prevent that from happening.

Fangraphs has it like this as of today...

1. Baltimore and Detroit (probably get another superstar to go with Mize), 56-106

3. Miami, 63-99

4. KC and Toronto, 65-97

6. Seattle, 69-93

7. White Sox, 70-92

We’re five to seven meaningless late season losses from picking 3rd to 5th again.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They better hurry up, the way things are going...we could fall below 70 wins again and back into the conversation for the #5-6 picks and possibly even 4th.  Although the returns of Jimenez and Anderson will likely prevent that from happening.

Fangraphs has it like this as of today...

1. Baltimore and Detroit (probably get another superstar topic with Mike), 56-106

3. Miami, 63-99

4. KC and Toronto, 65-97

6. Seattle, 69-93

7. White Sox, 70-92

We’re five to seven meaningless late season losses from picking 3rd to 5th again.

Good, 2020 draft is a lot deeper than 2019's.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:10 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Hahahaha. That is wonderful. You know who or He who shall not be named. We should just refer to that guy playing short for SD like that. 

Nah, we shouldn't, because it's fucking moronic to do. Also, because it gives those mouth-breathing morons in the front office a pass. It also perpetuates the memory of how stoopid this team has been in recent decades.

Above all else, if you're a grown ass man, you shouldn't use some stupid, cutesy bullshit to refer to one of the worst moves in White Sox history. (But what do I know? I'm not a stupid milennial.)

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Nah, we shouldn't, because it's fucking moronic to do. Also, because it gives those mouth-breathing morons in the front office a pass. It also perpetuates the memory of how stoopid this team has been in recent decades.

Above all else, if you're a grown ass man, you shouldn't use some stupid, cutesy bullshit to refer to one of the worst moves in White Sox history. (But what do I know? I'm not a stupid milennial.)

old.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 7/27/2019 at 11:27 AM, GreenSox said:

I hope so.  Although I would think they'd have that worked out before the move. On the other hand, this isn't prime amateur scouting season (except for maybe Cod league), so maybe they wanted to get Hostetler quickly into pro scouting mode.  Heck, I am talking in circles.

That's not true. The most important event of the scouting season is next week.  

• 1 month later...

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-shirley-named-white-sox-amateur-scouting-director

https://sportsmockery.com/2019/09/the-white-sox-have-a-new-director-of-amateur-scouting/

“Mike Shirley, in addition to being a White Sox crosschecker, has been a personal hitting instructor for kids (11-17 year olds) in the Indianapolis area. He knows his hitting. Let's see if that influences his future picks for the White Sox.”

joshnelson

You won’t find much better job security than working for the White Sox. Shirley’s been with the organization for 20 years.

Here’s Hahn on the promotion of Shirley.

“We are incredibly pleased to be able to promote Mike as the new director of amateur scouting. Mike has spent two decades in our organization, serving in just about every capacity within the scouting department. He is a very well-regarded and versatile scout with a substantial evaluation track record and a facility with objective analysis.”

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Bonds on Roids was superhuman. He broke the game. 

Bonds not on steroids almost broke the game. Hey, I don't blast you like some others, but I think you're wrong on Madrigal and Vaughn.

Yes, the Sox took more advanced college players with those picks. That doesn't mean there were better players still on the board. Every draft is

different and last years draft was pretty thin. Getting Vaughn was just fine. Getting Madrigal at 5 is a steal. 

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Bonds not on steroids almost broke the game. Hey, I don't blast you like some others, but I think you're wrong on Madrigal and Vaughn.

Yes, the Sox took more advanced college players with those picks. That doesn't mean there were better players still on the board. Every draft is

different and last years draft was pretty thin. Getting Vaughn was just fine. Getting Madrigal at 5 is a steal. 

I think Madrigal will be the Nellie Fox of this generation of Sox baseball...and that ain't bad.

4 hours ago, zisk said:

I know. That's why him on roids was so incredible. Bonds was a HOF before the roids, probably an all time great. He had an ego the size of the Virgo Supercluster. Just being an all time great wasn't good enough for him. He had to be the best ever, and he wasn't quite that talented. Hence the roids. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know. That's why him on roids was so incredible. Bonds was a HOF before the roids, probably an all time great. He had an ego the size of the Virgo Supercluster. Just being an all time great wasn't good enough for him. He had to be the best ever, and he wasn't quite that talented. Hence the roids. 

I will say this every time someone says this around me; we have no way of knowing this, you are simply saying that you believe tetrahydrogenstrinone is an honest person and you can take his word about being clean. You're saying sure he lied about part of his career but I believe him about the rest of it. There is no reason why we should just assume that he only started doing steroids when he went on the THG. He could absolutely have cycled on and off of various products before. He and other guys could have been using that stuff all the way back in high school. Some of these guys had no one ever suspecting them until they were named by Canseco because not every steroid makes your head size change - Palmeiro had the benefit of the doubt until he tested positive for a steroid that people used specifically because it didn't make your body explode, and that just happened to be the same one Canseco said he used. Palmeiro used that because the physical effects weren't as obvious as some of the other stuff.

If you believe the quote in the book about Bonds having dinner with Griffey and saying he was going to "go on the hard stuff" after the 98 season HR chase, that line could easily mean that he had been doing softer stuff repeatedly throughout his career and it was time to switch it up.

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I will say this every time someone says this around me; we have no way of knowing this, you are simply saying that you believe tetrahydrogenstrinone is an honest person and you can take his word about being clean. You're saying sure he lied about part of his career but I believe him about the rest of it. There is no reason why we should just assume that he only started doing steroids when he went on the THG. He could absolutely have cycled on and off of various products before. He and other guys could have been using that stuff all the way back in high school. Some of these guys had no one ever suspecting them until they were named by Canseco because not every steroid makes your head size change - Palmeiro had the benefit of the doubt until he tested positive for a steroid that people used specifically because it didn't make your body explode, and that just happened to be the same one Canseco said he used. Palmeiro used that because the physical effects weren't as obvious as some of the other stuff.

If you believe the quote in the book about Bonds having dinner with Griffey and saying he was going to "go on the hard stuff" after the 98 season HR chase, that line could easily mean that he had been doing softer stuff repeatedly throughout his career and it was time to switch it up.

Bonds was skinny as fuck before he started doing roids. (The transformation was just like Sosa and Manny Ramirez) I have no way of knowing whether or not he actually did roids before 98, but I tend to think he didn't. I could be wrong. He was a rail in Pittsburgh. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bonds was skinny as fuck before he started doing roids. (The transformation was just like Sosa and Manny Ramirez) I have no way of knowing whether or not he actually did roids before 98, but I tend to think he didn't. I could be wrong. He was a rail in Pittsburgh. 

4dc6256ca1f43b23b9bdec476096561b.jpg

That's Alex Sanchez, the first guy ever to test positive in MLB's official testing program.