Sox interested in Mazara?

fathom

27 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Not only is it a buy low situation, but he also is only controlled through 2021. Most of the names from our MLB roster being floated, including Lopez, have more trade value alone than Mazara does. 

Lopez's last 3 starts and 2018 were good, but  go look at his career FIP and xFIP and tell me how that isn't a pretty even trade. 

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Why would a rebuilding(ish) Rangers team be willing to trade a 24 yr old uber taleneted outfielder?

According to the article it's because they are "too left handed" in the OF. I can see that with Choo, Gallo, and Mazara. It also opens up a spot in the OF for Willie Calhoun...another 24 year old lefty with even bigger lefty/righty splits.

I'd gladly take Shin-Soo Choo for a song if they really are just trying to clear out lefty bats.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lopez's last 3 starts and 2018 were good, but  go look at his career FIP and xFIP and tell me how that isn't a pretty even trade. 

It's still trading 4.5 years of a high ceiling SP for 2.5 years of a talented but replacement level RF. Sure, Mazara is also high ceiling, but he has had far more opportunities to prove himself than Lopez. Simply due to the years of control, I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on that deal but I can at least understand why some would.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Mazara is basically Alex Rios Lite.  He has been a consistent .745 OPS guy for years.

I guess he could improve because he’s still young but what would anyone be willing to give up for him?  The Rangers probably always want pitching.  I’d give up Jonathan Stiever but that probably isn’t enough.

Alex Rios had multiple 4 WAR seasons. Mazara is at 1.6 for his career.

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Why would a rebuilding(ish) Rangers team be willing to trade a 24 yr old uber taleneted outfielder?

They have four left handed outfielders and only four spots for them, and they need to give Calhoun more playing time.

Also, to make Lillian happy with another LH-hitting target.

Gallo and Choo aren’t going anywhere...Mazara has only has a couple more years of control and still hasn’t progressed like they envisioned.

57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Everyone knows that Mazara is only a month older than Moncada, right? This is a buy low situation. Even if the cost was Lopez straight up, I'd still have to consider it. 

Do we suddenly have an abundance of pitching?

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Low OBP, LOw OPS, 2 year left.... another clownshow, not serious org. building.

Watch, next we'll be linked to Domingo Santana and Corey Dickerson.

If they want to add players like those three...then it's totally unclear why they didn't just give Avi a three year extension after 2017. 

If you project it out statistically, Avi's heading for an approximately 2 fWAR season.    Even if you gave him 3 years and $45 million coming off his 4.2 fWAR 2017 season, it would have been a fair/decent contract.

Now we're still scrambling around to find someone like Puig or Castellanos that will likely be in that same exact range...

Edited by caulfield12

I don’t know what to think. But it is getting a bit late in the game to offer much runway for players like Mozara. But sometimes it just doesn’t make sense how players like him are so unproductive.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don’t know what to think. But it is getting a bit late in the game to offer much runway for players like Mozara. But sometimes it just doesn’t make sense how players like him are so unproductive.

Well, his SWING looks good.  He has two of the longest homers in recent memory (of course, at least one off Sox pitching).  He definitely carries himself like a player, ala Rios....but Alex had some REALLY good seasons early in his Blue Jays career, they're not even in the same category as far as players (not to mention the ability to play CF).

As we all know, most of the time potential/projection doesn't match actual performance.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Watch, next we'll be linked to Domingo Santana and Corey Dickerson.

If they want to add players like those three...then it's totally unclear why they didn't just give Avi a three year extension after 2017. 

If you project it out statistically, Avi's heading for an approximately 2 fWAR season.    Even if you gave him 3 years and $45 million coming off his 4.2 fWAR 2017 season, it would have been a fair/decent contract.

Now we're still scrambling around to find someone like Puig or Castellanos that will likely be in that same exact range...

I mean, sign me up for Domingo Santana. He'd be the best DH the White Sox have had since Dunn.

51 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They have other options to give at bats to (Calhoun being one of them with more control), he only has 2.5 years of control left, and maybe you could deal him for a pitcher who has struggled with similar control? Change of scenery types of move?

7 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I mean, sign me up for Domingo Santana. He'd be the best DH the White Sox have had since Dunn.

And leading the world in strikeouts...0.7 fWAR...I guess it's par for the course.  The biggest warning sign is that if he does get traded, that would be his fourth organization over the course of just five seasons.

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They have other options to give at bats to (Calhoun being one of them with more control), he only has 2.5 years of control left, and maybe you could deal him for a pitcher who has struggled with similar control? Change of scenery types of move?

The Rangers are in an interesting position.

No way they can compete for the Wild Card realistically without adding a ton...but playing better than most expected.  Their first priority is to decide on whether to sell high on Mike Minor (especially if other teams start pulling back their starters, like CLE) or sign him to a long/er term deal.

They already dealt Profar before this season.

Edited by caulfield12

I understand people look at next year as a competitive year, but I'm still willing gamble on a guy like Mazara. Especially when a name getting kicked around is Puig (although I guess I've tossed around Kole Calhoun as a guy I would want if/when his option is declined by the Angels). If you want a good RF, we would have to trade for one as there is anything in free agency really (I guess Ozuna if you want to throw him a pile of money).

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And leading the world in strikeouts...0.7 fWAR...I guess it's par for the course.  The biggest warning sign is that if he does get traded, that would be his fourth organization over the course of just five seasons.

.7 WAR because the Mariners insist on playing him in the outfield everyday, his bat's been pretty productive

Edited by mqr

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why? 

I'm on board with it because he's 24 (still young enough to put it all together), 2 years of control, left-handed, has some pop, and RF is a hole right now and likely next year. The only other option is to throw money at Ozuna (better suited for LF) or trade prospects if you want a significant upgrade.

But it all depends on the price obviously.

Edited by soxfan2014

Sox could obviously use a LH bat or 2. 

RF is the clearest hole they have, along with DH if they think Vaughn takes a little time and they don't wanna just role with Collons. 

Who are some potential LH OF targets? I know we talked about Benintendi, who I'd love but also don't want to give up a ton to get.

Mazara in the lower 3rd of the order wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.