Sox interested in Mazara?

fathom

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They have four left handed outfielders and only four spots for them, and they need to give Calhoun more playing time.

Also, to make Lillian happy with another LH-hitting target.

Gallo and Choo aren’t going anywhere...Mazara has only has a couple more years of control and still hasn’t progressed like they envisioned.

You want another rebuilding teams 4th best outfielder going into a season where the Sox are supposed to be competitive.  Hard pass

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I understand people look at next year as a competitive year, but I'm still willing gamble on a guy like Mazara. Especially when a name getting kicked around is Puig (although I guess I've tossed around Kole Calhoun as a guy I would want if/when his option is declined by the Angels). If you want a good RF, we would have to trade for one as there is anything in free agency really (I guess Ozuna if you want to throw him a pile of money).

Puig is heading for 1.7-1.8 fWAR but has been on a tear the last 6 weeks or so...

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You want another rebuilding teams 4th best outfielder going into a season where the Sox are supposed to be competitive.  Hard pass

Their 4th best OF is better than our 3rd best OF (maybe even 2nd if you wanted to play Garcia at 2B more).

Edited by soxfan2014

Why would the Sox trade from a position they lack depth (SP) to fill one of the only offensive holes left in the organization - that's assuming that every OF prospect but for Robert fails too. 

Why would the Sox trade 2 extra years of control of Lopez, who has been more valuable in his career to date than Mazara despite significantly less PT, for Mazara?

Mazara is trash. Unless the Rangers have soured on him so much they just want to move him, it's not worth it.

Anyone comparing Alex Rios and Mazara are over the top about Mazara. At this point based on his production to date, Mazara has less than a 5% of reaching the career WAR Alex Rios had. Rios had two 5+ WAR seasons, 1 4+ WAR season and 2 3.5 WAR seasons and 1 3 WAR season; and every one of those BUT for one came before his 30th birthday. Mazara better get moving. Rios was frustrating because you felt like he had the talent to be a 5 WAR player every year and he had inconsistencies in his game but he was a good MLB player.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't.  I just think it's funny how difficult it is to come up with RFer for next season (other than maybe Ozuna if he can handle the throws) who will do much more than a 1.5-2.0 fWAR RFer.

That's basically where Avi is going to end up...if not a little better, and he should still be in the prime of his career the next 2-3 seasons.

It would be one thing if all these guys like Palka, Delmonico, Tilson, Cordell and Engel had the talent to play everyday in the outfield, but that hasn't proven to be the case.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why would the Sox trade from a position they lack depth (SP) to fill one of the only offensive holes left in the organization - that's assuming that every OF prospect but for Robert fails too. 

Why would the Sox trade 2 extra years of control of Lopez, who has been more valuable in his career to date than Mazara despite significantly less PT, for Mazara?

Mazara is trash. Unless the Rangers have soured on him so much they just want to move him, it's not worth it.

Anyone comparing Alex Rios and Mazara are over the top about Mazara. At this point based on his production to date, Mazara has less than a 5% of reaching the career WAR Alex Rios had. Rios had two 5+ WAR seasons, 1 4+ WAR season and 2 3.5 WAR seasons and 1 3 WAR season; and every one of those BUT for one came before his 30th birthday. Mazara better get moving. Rios was frustrating because you felt like he had the talent to be a 5 WAR player every year and he had inconsistencies in his game but he was a good MLB player.

Dude, there's like one guy saying Lopez for Mazara. No one else here wants him for that. Everyone else who wants him is suggesting the bolded part (which the MLBTR story suggests since they sent him down once already but who knows for sure).

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is reminiscent of the times somebody like Cordell will make a great defensive player or occasionally run into one and Benetti will gush about him being a five tool player.

Well, you're not a five tool player if you can't apply those tools on a consistent basis.  You don't get style points for "looking athletic" or whatever.

15 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm on board with it because he's 24 (still young enough to put it all together), 2 years of control, left-handed, has some pop, and RF is a hole right now and likely next year. The only other option is to throw money at Ozuna (better suited for LF) or trade prospects if you want a significant upgrade.

But it all depends on the price obviously.

Sure but he's a god awful RF'er so saying he plays RF isn't really a ++ in this case. 

Mazara is a left handed Avi Garcia; better tools and appearance than outcomes.

12 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I mean I wouldn't mind a 24 year old who will hit 20 HR consistently every year and hit above .250

Do we have a better option at the moment? Is there a better option in FA?

Yes, they are all older than Mazara but they are better hitters.

Ozuna

Puig

Castellanos

45 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The only reason to like Mazara is his age.  His performance has been consistent for four years and is weak.

Only thing going for Mazara is age and talent. I agree with this post, unless the cost is cheap then why deal anything of value for him? 

Just now, mqr said:

Is there enough evidence to say the Sox are any smarter?

While everyone will point to a very specific trade, in general I am more confident in the sox giving up a reasonable package vs the mets fleecing a trade partner.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jake said:

Give them Carson Fulmer and let's make a deal. If they're too stubborn, I'll throw in an Alec Hansen

For Conforto?  Or Mazara?

That dude has a better arm than I thought...saw him playing CF this week, he can hold his own out there.  In an ideal world, we'd have three outfielders that could play CF in a pinch, so obviously the other position's going to be key with Jimenez on the other side.

The problem is that, other than our top three prospects, what would we possibly be able to give them?    Lopez isn't going to be nearly enough...

Edited by caulfield12