Teams are interested in Nova? Trade him!

Moan4Yoan

On 7/25/2019 at 4:03 PM, vilehoopster said:

Sorry to give you guys my usual comment of don’t trade or flip him, but . . .

You guys all saying dump/flip him, you do realize he’s our 2nd or 3rd best starter? You realize that, right?

I am far from in love with Nova but I would rather see him than the other options, whatever that may be.

As a guy who spent about $225 dollars to take his family of 4 to a game on Fathers Day, only to see Despaige (however his name is spelled) pitch and who felt a little cheated by the White Sox that day (down 7 to 1 after three innings), I really think for the sake of the fans (especially ticket buying fans), the Sox should keep one of their few competent pitchers rather than dump him for some prospect who will never make the majors.

And I know it’s still a rebuild, but We’re still tuning in and still buying tickets, and I think the FO should still keep trying to win rather win than trading one of our better starters in pique of frustration.

I agree.  How long are fans going to bring the kids to the park to watch blowout after blowout.  It's not entertaining.  What the Twinks are doing with the homers and winning is very good for building their long term fan base.  Let's not prolong this rebuild any longer than necessary.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

I agree.  How long are fans going to bring the kids to the park to watch blowout after blowout.  It's not entertaining.  What the Twinks are doing with the homers and winning is very good for building their long term fan base.  Let's not prolong this rebuild any longer than necessary.

I frankly think the fans are on the bottom of the list. Seriously. There used to be the feeling that the Sox had to stay better than the Cubs or certainly as good as the Cubs to avoid getting buried in publicity, etc. With the rise of TV contracts, and the fact they don't need good attendance to be worth what Forbes said they are worth, the front office simply does not care about the fan IMO. Because they are banking on what fans do: show up when the team gets good in droves. True, Cleveland has not ever gotten back the frenzy it had all those years when they sold out the stadium. But look at KC Royals. They went from 9,000 a game to every game a sellout during that short window when they got excellent. The fans don't matter in this equation at all, folks. When they build it back, they will come in droves.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I frankly think the fans are on the bottom of the list. Seriously. There used to be the feeling that the Sox had to stay better than the Cubs or certainly as good as the Cubs to avoid getting buried in publicity, etc. With the rise of TV contracts, and the fact they don't need good attendance to be worth what Forbes said they are worth, the front office simply does not care about the fan IMO. Because they are banking on what fans do: show up when the team gets good in droves. True, Cleveland has not ever gotten back the frenzy it had all those years when they sold out the stadium. But look at KC Royals. They went from 9,000 a game to every game a sellout during that short window when they got excellent. The fans don't matter in this equation at all, folks. When they build it back, they will come in droves.

Hope so.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:23 PM, poppysox said:

Why dump him for nothing?  That makes no sense.  Someone has to pitch...why not Nova if don't have a better option?  He takes the ball every 5th day and often pitches OK.  I am definitely not a Nova fan but I don't get trading him for nothing.

Absolutely right.  He has 9 QS in his 22 starts, including the last 2 in which he gave up ONE EARNED RUN IN 15 INNINGS.  Sure that won't last but who knows.  He very easily could get his ERA down to the 4.50 range.  The guy leads the starters in innings pitched, no small feat considering the overworked bullpen.

I hope Hahn is not stupid enough to let this guy go for nothing more than a mid to low-level Class A "prospect".

33 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Absolutely right.  He has 9 QS in his 22 starts, including the last 2 in which he gave up ONE EARNED RUN IN 15 INNINGS.  Sure that won't last but who knows.  He very easily could get his ERA down to the 4.50 range.  The guy leads the starters in innings pitched, no small feat considering the overworked bullpen.

I hope Hahn is not stupid enough to let this guy go for nothing more than a mid to low-level Class A "prospect".

If that is what other baseball folks are willing to offer given that he is a free agent next year you take it. Period. This is a bad team, Half of guys on the 40 man roster aren't major league caliber. This season is lost anyway after a decent first half. What's five or ten more losses in a lost season already?

He's pitched well, his value will probably never be higher, if somebody wants him, get rid of him since he's not part of the future. And if somehow the Sox think he is that would be very concerning. 

I'd trade Nova in a heartbeat.  Issue is, who TF is going to start games the rest of the year?  I know the games don't really matter - but legitimately, who is going to start? You're not getting a MLB ready SP for Nova, or really probably anybody that may be traded next few days.  

We already only have 4 SP in Gio, Lopez, Nova and Cease.  You subtract Nova you're down to 3. Cease is probably on some innings limits.  That leaves 2 at some point.  I guess you can run Detwiler and Santiago out there.  Maybe even give Kubat a chance.  More Covey?  Gahhhh. 

The pickings are outrageously slim. Really sucks for guys like Lambert and Dunning because they'd be getting opportunities right now, but the pitching depth in the organization has just been decimated by injuries.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd trade Nova in a heartbeat.  Issue is, who TF is going to start games the rest of the year?  I know the games don't really matter - but legitimately, who is going to start? You're not getting a MLB ready SP for Nova, or really probably anybody that may be traded next few days.  

We already only have 4 SP in Gio, Lopez, Nova and Cease.  You subtract Nova you're down to 3. Cease is probably on some innings limits.  That leaves 2 at some point.  I guess you can run Detwiler and Santiago out there.  Maybe even give Kubat a chance.  More Covey?  Gahhhh. 

The pickings are outrageously slim. Really sucks for guys like Lambert and Dunning because they'd be getting opportunities right now, but the pitching depth in the organization has just been decimated by injuries.  

Fulmer

Edited by BackDoorBreach

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Fulmer

Fulmer has maxed out at 3 IP this season, exactly 1 time.  His days of starting are over.  But yah, I guess he's up there on list just by purely by being healthy.  

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Does Nova even net you a lottery ticket? Probably not, so for my own sake I'd rather they just keep him.

Edited by mqr

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Nova sucks, but trading him won't save you money or net you a worthwhile prospect. Unless you want to see someone even worse than him on the hill every 5 days, trading him,, and I know this sounds crazy, doesn't make much sense. 

In a season like this, I don't really care.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Nova sucks, but trading him won't save you money or net you a worthwhile prospect. Unless you want to see someone even worse than him on the hill every 5 days, trading him,, and I know this sounds crazy, doesn't make much sense. 

I agree with this. The only thing that would interest me is comp balance picks and i don't know if there are restrictions if those can be traded.

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Does Nova even net you a lottery ticket?

Probably.  He's been pitching much better.  25.2 innings of 3.86 ERA since the ASG.  He's not flashy, but you can do worse as a back of the rotation insurance policy, especially in the NL.  

Just now, fathom said:

They need 2-3 more starters.  I hate the move, as Lyles has been throwing BP for a month.

You sure they don't plan to use him in the pen?  Brewers acquired him last year as well, and he did very well in the pen for them.