Tony Kemp expected to be DFA'd

Sleepy Harold

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Leury's a lot more expensive and only under control for a year, you'd have Kemp for 4 (maybe 5, I don't trust my math).  They're otherwise pretty similar in their usefulness imo

Leury doesn't make much  only $1.5 million this year, and also plays SS and 3B, and  switch hits.  He's a more valuable player

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Leury doesn't make much  only $1.5 million this year, and also plays SS and 3B, and  switch hits.  He's a more valuable player

Fine, you win that point. I would still much rather have Tony Kemp than any of Rondon, Tilson, Cordell, Reed, Yolmer, Engel

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Someone will nab Kemp Before he gets to the Sox on waivers. If they want to get him, they are going to have to give something up.  Probably worth exploring though.

The Sox should definitely be willing to give up some non-prospect for Kemp.  He can play all over and would make an acceptable starting 2B until Madrigal hits his Kris Bryant deadline next year and then he would make a fine utility bench the rest of the way.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

True, but Leury is only under control for one more year.  He is probably a valuable trade chip right now.  I have no problem with moving Leury just like Colome with only one year of control remaining, if the return looks pretty good.

If the return is right, I'd be all for moving Leury and going with Kemp and Mendick as your backup infielder/utility guys next season.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

True, but Leury is only under control for one more year.  He is probably a valuable trade chip right now.  I have no problem with moving Leury just like Colome with only one year of control remaining, if the return looks pretty good.

If the return is right, I'd be all for moving Leury and going with Kemp and Mendick as your backup infielder/utility guys next season.

Leury is a nice player. Good hitter. We do not need Kemp. Pass.

12 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The Sox should definitely be willing to give up some non-prospect for Kemp.  He can play all over and would make an acceptable starting 2B until Madrigal hits his Kris Bryant deadline next year and then he would make a fine utility bench the rest of the way.

It will probably take more than a "non prospect". 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, not really, but I do get your point.

Mazara's a pretty consistent .745 OPS guy.  That's not particularly good.  Kemp is .725, a little less than not particularly  good, but he plays more positions and has more control ( all of which makes him more interesting to me).

Edited by GreenSox

Just now, GreenSox said:

Mazar's a pretty consistent .745 OPS guy.  That's not particularly good.  Kemp is .725, a little less than not much, but he plays more positions and has more control ( all of which makes him more interesting to me).

Mazara is four years young and has significantly better tools.  There is a reason dream on Mazara, Kemp is probably what he is.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mazara is four years young and has significantly better tools.  There is a reason dream on Mazara, Kemp is probably what he is.

Mazara's played in  the league for 4 years full-time and he's been remarkably consistent.  20 homers each of his first 3; on pace for that this season.  His OPS has ranged from .729-.753.  He may have tools, but in 3.5 seasons they haven't shown up.  And there's certainly no reason to believe that this org. is the one to bring them out.

Trading for any 2 year player is inane anyway at this point in the build.  It's a sideshow that can only hurt long-term.   Sign him as a FA in 2 years if we like him.

Edited by GreenSox

45 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Mazara's played in  the league for 4 years full-time and he's been remarkably consistent.  20 homers each of his first 3; on pace for that this season.  His OPS has ranged from .729-.753.  He may have tools, but in 3.5 seasons they haven't shown up.  And there's certainly no reason to believe that this org. is the one to bring them out.

Trading for any 2 year player is inane anyway at this point in the build.  It's a sideshow that can only hurt long-term.   Sign him as a FA in 2 years if we like him.

Your narrative is so tired.  I too don't want to trade legitimate assets for 2.33 years of Mazara, but depending on the what you'd be giving up, its worth at least exploring.  The Sox badly need a LH RF, and while he isn't a perfect fit, he's not an awful option. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Your narrative is so tired.  I too don't want to trade legitimate assets for 2.33 years of Mazara, but depending on the what you'd be giving up, its worth at least exploring.  The Sox badly need a LH RF, and while he isn't a perfect fit, he's not an awful option. 

I think GreenSox’s opinion makes a lot of sense.  Mazara has been mediocre thus far as a corner outfielder and he is only under control for two more seasons.  Even if he does breakout, guess who his agent is?  Boras.  So he will more than likely be taken to free agency.  There won’t be a chance at a reasonable extension if Mazara booms after the Sox acquire him.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

10 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think GreenSox’s opinion makes a lot of sense.  Mazara has been mediocre thus far as a corner outfielder and he is only under control for two more seasons.  Even if he does breakout, guess who his agent is?  Boras.  So he will more than likely be taken to free agency.  There won’t be a chance at a reasonable extension if Mazara booms after the Sox acquire him.

If the Sox trade minimal for him and he breaks out and is looking at a big payday in 2 years, that isn't exactly a bad thing for a team with a giant hole in RF looking to compete maybe as early as next year.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It's always funny to me when people shit on an idea, but provide no real alternative options.  Greensox is quite good at that.  

Who are your top 3 options to man RF next season?  I'd much prefer a guy like Nimmo to Mazara, but he very well may be unavailable.  I'd also prefer a guy like Ramiel Tapia who I think is a great fit for our OF, but again - no idea if he's attainable, and certainly would be more expensive than Mazara at this stage, I would think.  But its not like there are a bunch of options that are good fits, and the FA RF are not great fits IMO whether due to poor defense, or their handedness - or in most cases both.

I am not proposing the Sox offer anything that exciting for Mazara. But if you could get him for something like Fulmer + Hansen (as suggested earlier) or some other comparable package (I think it'd be great to give them a guy or two on the 40 man), I think its worth exploring.  I too would prefer someone with longer control, but if the acquisition price isn't steep, he's a decent stopgap option that has a fair amount of upside.  Mazara also keeps RF open in 2022 in hopes that someone out of the group of Adolfo, Walker, Gonzalez or Rutherford becomes a legit option there.  

Texas is still 1 game over .500, so maybe they'd even move him for some guys on the MLB roster.  Doubtful, but you never now,  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don't want any Boris clients.