Lambs to the slaughter? We look to our shepherd Giolito as he faces Berrios and the Twins 8:10 EST

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah if they spend on starting pitching this offseason, I don’t see how they won’t be the favorite in the AL Central next few years.

Well, big difference if Hahn reels in a guy like Wood as opposed to Cole.

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

If a pitcher can't beat good lineups, he's not a top of the rotation starter.  We need better than #3 pitchers to do some damage going forward.

He gave up 1 run vs NYY, shut out MIN through 5, and dominated the Rays his last time out. He isn't consistent enough to be a true ace yet, but he has shown the potential to be that if he can be consistent with his stuff.

Edited by gusguyman

6 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Ya'll need to chill on the hot takes. Gio's last 8 opponents have been NYY, BOS, CHCx2, KCR, TBR, and MINx2. That is a hell of a lot of good offenses. He'll be fine, especially as he gets more experience (and consistency) with his new delivery

Also, he pitched well to okay in all but 3 of those starts. It looks worse because his bad ones were against the hated Cubs and Twins. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...how is this regression for Giolito?  Dude was filthy in the first half and had the stuff to back up the numbers.

Inability to keep his mechanics straight.  Yes his metrics were great, but there were always questions about how his velocity would hold up with his new arm swing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Ya'll need to chill on the hot takes. Gio's last 8 opponents have been NYY, BOS, CHCx2, KCR, TBR, and MINx2. That is a hell of a lot of good offenses. He'll be fine, especially as he gets more experience (and consistency) with his new delivery

The one thing we don't want is for him to fall of a cliff at the end of the year. I think we will see him bounce back and then he'll go into this off-season with more confidence and more time to continue to refine and tighten his improved mechanics (more from just the pure muscle memory perspective, etc). What I'd like to see is him grind through this year, with a nice finish, with a good offseason where he comes back next year adding back in his dominant curve to the mix.  That is what will put Gio over the top (in terms of being a next level...true front-end (#1/#2 pitcher).  

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He struck out 7 batters in 5 innings, and hit 96 mph multiple times. He's fine. Cruz is hot as fuck and added a little extra ingredient in his protein shake. He ran into a hot power hitter. Meh. 

7 hits, 2 walks, 4 homers, for 7 earned runs in 5 innings?  That's just bad.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He struck out 7 batters in 5 innings, and hit 96 mph multiple times. He's fine. Cruz is hot as fuck and added a little extra ingredient in his protein shake. He ran into a hot power hitter. Meh. 

Oh come on, 3 of the 4 homers were on meatballs down the plate. Sadly Twins are so stacked that you just can’t make mistakes. They don’t have slap hitters like the Sox.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The one thing we don't want is for him to fall of a cliff at the end of the year. I think we will see him bounce back and then he'll go into this off-season with more confidence and more time to continue to refine and tighten his improved mechanics (more from just the pure muscle memory perspective, etc). What I'd like to see is him grind through this year, with a nice finish, with a good offseason where he comes back next year adding back in his dominant curve to the mix.  That is what will put Gio over the top (in terms of being a next level...true front-end (#1/#2 pitcher).  

Excellent point about adding another pitch.  

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah if they spend on starting pitching this offseason, I don’t see how they won’t be the favorite in the AL Central next few years.

Just be thankful Danny Santana and Aaron Hicks aren’t still around with their numbers this year.

The Twins spending big in free agency never happens.  They have to decide between Gibson and Odorizzi as it is.   The last time I remember significant spending was bringing in Phil Hughes, Santana and Nicasio in one offseason, but they still spread it around.  Let Lynn go after 2018 and he’s pitched well for the Rangers.

Obviously, if they had Cole and Berrios, though, they’d be on a completely different level.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Oh come on, 3 of the 4 homers were on meatballs down the plate. Sadly Twins are so stacked that you just can’t make mistakes. They don’t have slap hitters like the Sox.

If you think the second HR was a meatball I can't help you. That was a curveball that clipped the bottom edge of the zone. Perfect pitch, he just got beat. That gets missed more often than not and results in a K. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Hitters tend to hit mistakes. You all are acting like you‘re watching baseball for the first time. Buehrle, Sale and Quintana had multiple bad starts a year. That‘s just baseball

• Love 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

If you think the second HR was a meatball I can't help you. That was a curveball that clipped thethe bottom edge of the zone. Perfect pitch, he just got beat. 

That one was fine...the first and third to Cruz were awful and the Kepler one might have been his worst pitch of the season.

That one was fine...the first and third to Cruz were awful and the Kepler one might have been his worst pitch of the season.

Honestly I'd like him to scrap the slider and work on getting the feel for his curveball back the rest of the season. He needs both. 

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Hitters tend to hit mistakes. You all are acting like you‘re watching baseball for the first time. Buehrle, Sale and Quintana had multiple bad starts a year. That‘s just baseball

Going from a 2.22 ERA seven starts ago (June 19th) to mid 3’s is more than just a couple of bad starts.

• Like 2