GT: MIN v CHW, 7/26/19, 7:10

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Wow.

lost in the doom and gloom of the last two weeks is the legitimately major league looking bat of Adam Engel 4.0

Severson has done wonders w Engel. 

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yep.  The Sox think they can sign FA's at their price and then are left standing there with their schvonce in their hands.

No top free agent is going to sign a deal with incentive-based garbage over guaranteed money.  The Sox are ridiculous.

To play devil’s advocate, they did offer $250M guaranteed and could have simply thought Machado’s agent was bluffing at the end with the Padres.  That still implies incompetence, but at least they could blame that on never having pursued a legit whale before.  I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens this season.  Either way, if they’re smart they’ll sit back and shut the fuck up.  No reason to act cocky all offseason, amp up hopes, and then end up empty-handed.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To play devil’s advocate, they did offer $250M guaranteed and could have simply thought Machado’s agent was bluffing at the end with the Padres.  That still implies incompetence, but at least they could blame that on never having pursued a legit whale before.  I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens this season.  Either way, if they’re smart they’ll sit back and shut the fuck up.  No reason to act cocky all offseason, amp up hopes, and then end up empty-handed.

Except Machado was a position player which are usually much less prone to injury than a starting pitcher.  I bet the Sox have a much higher risk rating on a long-term contract for a starting pitcher at age 28/29 at around $175 to $200 million than they did on Machado at age 26 at $300+ million.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Except Machado was a position player which is less prone to injury.  I bet the Sox have a much higher weight on a long-term contract for a starting pitcher at age 28/29 at around $175 million than they did on Machado at 26 and an even higher price.

I bet we go dumpster diving for a pitcher coming off injury or on a down year and hope to get lightning in a bottle.  We are not going all in on a pitcher. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I bet we go dumpster diving for a pitcher coming off injury or on a down year and hope to get lightning in a bottle.  We are not going all in on a pitcher. 

Yep.  Alex Wood.  It is so obvious.  Not that he wouldn't be a good acquisition, but they need to sign an ace with the amount of money they have available.  Wood should be the SECOND starter they sign.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Except Machado was a position player which are usually much less prone to injury than a starting pitcher.  I bet the Sox have a much higher risk rating on a long-term contract for a starting pitcher at age 28/29 at around $175 to $200 million than they did on Machado at 26 at $300+ million.

And there’s a pretty high likelihood that Machado, Tatis Jr. and his father and their agent in common decided quite early to go with the Padres and were just waiting to see if the Sox would significantly outbid it in the end...Padres did a great job keeping that early interest out of the media as Hahn set the market for a couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1