Sox interested in Edwin Diaz

Jose Abreu

Diaz is a young closer, right? So he replaces Colome next year. He and Bummer head the bullpen with Colome flipped now. Or are the Sox actually building next year's division winning team now? Bullpen of Bummer in seventh, Diaz eighth and Colome ninth?

• Like 2

He is 25 years of age and 1 year removed from 57 saves with fantastic metrics.  Given his performance drop-off this year for his ERA and saves, one would presumably have a positive opinion as to how good he still is.  Even for a young team like the White Sox, having a deep bullpen is not a bad thing.  Of course, would they be interested in what the Sox would be willing to offer?  Trades can be surprising.  The Mets hypothetically could be interested in Sox prospects who have value but also have more uncertainty associated with them. Who knows? 

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Diaz is a young closer, right? So he replaces Colome next year. He and Bummer head the bullpen with Colome flipped now. Or are the Sox actually building next year's division winning team now? Bullpen of Bummer in seventh, Diaz eighth and Colome ninth?

If the Sox are trading for Diaz, he has to be the closer. Seems odd they would be willing to part with young talent to get him though. Mets traded Kelenic for him. They aren't going to give him away.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

If the Sox are trading for Diaz, he has to be the closer. Seems odd they would be willing to part with young talent to get him though. Mets traded Kelenic for him. They aren't going to give him away.

They also aren't going to get even close of what they traded for him and Cano.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Right they probably have too high of a price on him to the point where it makes sense for them to hold onto him and see if he bounces back.

I will say this, I am open to trading anyone in the organization outside of Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn, Giolito, Kopech, & Cease.  Ideally I’d like to keep Dunning, but if he can somehow headline a trade for a controllable (3 years minimum) asset I’m not completely against it.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say this, I am open to trading anyone in the organization outside of Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn, Giolito, Kopech, & Cease.  Ideally I’d like to keep Dunning, but if he can somehow headline a trade for a controllable (3 years minimum) asset I’m not completely against it.

I dont see him being a headliner in a deal for anything great. Maybe next year at this time. 

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Exactly what a rebuilding team should not be doing, particularly this time of year.  Or the opposite of what this team should be doing.

Buying low on a high upside, controllable asset is exactly what a rebuilding team than plans on competing next year should be doing.  A move like just depends on the price and more likely than not it won’t be a price we like.  But in the off-chance they really like a guy like Rutherford then by all means let’s be part of the conversation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Exactly what a rebuilding team should not be doing, particularly this time of year.  Or the opposite of what this team should be doing.

Why not? The calendar moves quickly. Before you know it it'll be next season. If you can get this guy for nothing and get a veteran starter or two for nothing, with Robert and Collins up next season you ought to be able to contend in this division. Instead of trading Colome for nothing acquire this guy for nothing and you might have your bullpen set for next year. What prospects are you expecting to get? I think it makes sense, but I doubt this is happening. We aren't going to build to win next year and I know that. 

As it stands, we'll probably trade Colome and maybe Abreu and the way Jay is playing might get a very low level prospect for a team desperate for a veteran OF. I can pray Hahn actually is going to do this though with thoughts on next season. Just win baby.

25 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

If the price is right it makes plenty of sense. 

• Like 1