Sox interested in Edwin Diaz

Jose Abreu

The Padres desperately need a veteran stabilizer (2020 and beyond) to eventually pair with Paddack and Gore, and they have the prospect depth to pull it off...

To the thread topic, when he blows a save though...Diaz completely goes off the rails.  Some of it has been defense-induced, but there’s no way you should overpay when so many closers with extreme velocity and lots of wear and tear go on the market.  Yates doesn’t throw nearly as hard but is more effective, better command and actually hasn’t been abused like Diaz as a set guy in SEA.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Padres desperately need a veteran stabilizer (2020 and beyond) to eventually pair with Paddack and Gore, and they have the prospect depth to pull it off...

To the thread topic, when he blows a save though...Diaz completely goes off the rails.  Some of it has been defense-induced, but there’s no way you should overpay when so many closers with extreme velocity and lots of wear and tear go on the market.  Yates doesn’t throw nearly as hard but is more effective, better command and actually hasn’t been abused like Diaz as a set guy in SEA.

SD is going to trade for Thor, I am almost 100% certain.

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

The same folks saying “The Sox need to be aggressive at the deadline” are now crying “Why would the Sox look into Diaz? This is stupid.” It’s one rumor and I’m sure the Sox have made a ton of calls on a number of different fronts. Not a reason in the world to get even remotely worked up about something until something more substantial gets reported. 

I think if they get Diaz, it's part of a 3 way trade with Bummer and prospects going to the Mets and Colome going to another team.  The other team would then have to include prospects going to the Mets as well.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Buying low on a high upside, controllable asset is exactly what a rebuilding team than plans on competing next year should be doing.  A move like just depends on the price and more likely than not it won’t be a price we like.  But in the off-chance they really like a guy like Rutherford then by all means let’s be part of the conversation.

Buy low means paying the price of a reliever with a 1.45 WHIP.  You think that's happening?  Not a chance.  I'm just being realistic - the White Sox don't buy low.  And this isn't buyers season anyway...it's sellers season, which the Sox should be participating in.
He's had one special year, a couple of good years, and then this year.  In another thread there is post after post about dumping Bummer (who is on the improve) because relievers are inconsistent.  Well.........?  

Take the time and gather young pitching with control.

Edited by GreenSox

29 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Buy low means paying the price of a reliever with a 1.45 WHIP.  You think that's happening?  Not a chance.  I'm just being realistic - the White Sox don't buy low.  And this isn't buyers season anyway...it's sellers season, which the Sox should be participating in.
He's had one special year, a couple of good years, and then this year.  In another thread there is post after post about dumping Bummer (who is on the improve) because relievers are inconsistent.  Well.........?  

Take the time and gather young pitching with control.

Not one single person wants to “dump” Bummer.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not one single person wants to “dump” Bummer.

They want to trade him because relievers are "inconsistent."  So, apparently, is analysis of relief pitchers from other teams.

Anyway, the Pirate pulled this kind of thing last July and it was a disaster.   Sox have some short term players to sell which could improve the team long-term.  The position players are fine (or will be soon).  Young pitching.

Edited by GreenSox

Real question for the board, but what would a Diaz/Nimmo package cost?  Would something like Dunning, Walker or Rutherford, and say Pilkington get it done?  Would you even do that?  Both guys are controllable for the next three years, which fits our competitive window pretty well.  The fact that I would make that trade in a heartbeat makes me feel it’s too light despite Diaz’s underperformance & Nimmo’s injury, but you never know with the insanity that is the Mets front office.

For shits & giggles, let’s say you make the trade above and then go out and trade Rutherford or Walker and something insignificant for Marco Gonzalez.  Here’s how things would look heading into the offseason:

• Lineup: 1B - ??, 2B - Madrigal (0.5), SS - Anderson (4.0), 3B - Moncada (0.5), LF - Jimenez (2.3), CF - Robert (0.5), RF - Nimmo (5.0), DH - ??, C - McCann (5.0)
  • Bench: UT - Garcia (4.0)
  • Rotation: #1 - ??, 2 - Giolito (0.5) #3 - Gonzalez (1.0), #4 - Cease (0.5), #5 - Kopech (0.5), #6 - Rodon (6.0)
  • Bullpen: CL - Diaz (5.0), SU - Bummer (0.5), SU - ??, MR - Herrera (8.5), MR - Fry (0.5), MR - Hamilton (0.5), LR - Lopez (0.5)

That’s 18 roster spots locked up (excluding Rodon) for a total of ~$46M.  Assuming a $120M payroll (which is below league average), that would leave us ~$74M to add a TOR starter, setup man, 1B, DH, and a couple bench pieces.

Let’s say Cole is unattainable, if the big free agent signings were Wheeler ($18M), Betances ($12M), Grandal ($20M), & Abreu ($12M), we’d still have ~$12M to add a stopgap 1B/DH and fill out the bench.  And if by some miracle you could add Cole, you’d just go with cheap in-house options at those remaining spots.  Either way, you’d have a young, talented team ready to go to war next year.

On 7/27/2019 at 3:37 PM, Balta1701 said:

This feels like the Cubs trading for Quintana and paying full price.

This is my main concern. Kick tires all they want, save your ammo though for a difference making position player.

On 7/27/2019 at 3:37 PM, Balta1701 said:

This feels like the Cubs trading for Quintana and paying full price.

There are no parallels that I see. 

Sox sold on Quintana at the absolute height of his value for an outstanding return during the start of the rebuild phase. This would be the Sox buying low on a great talent just prior to their window of contention opening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/28/2019 at 8:21 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Real question for the board, but what would a Diaz/Nimmo package cost?  Would something like Dunning, Walker or Rutherford, and say Pilkington get it done?  Would you even do that?  Both guys are controllable for the next three years, which fits our competitive window pretty well.  The fact that I would make that trade in a heartbeat makes me feel it’s too light despite Diaz’s underperformance & Nimmo’s injury, but you never know with the insanity that is the Mets front office.

For shits & giggles, let’s say you make the trade above and then go out and trade Rutherford or Walker and something insignificant for Marco Gonzalez.  Here’s how things would look heading into the offseason:

• Lineup: 1B - ??, 2B - Madrigal (0.5), SS - Anderson (4.0), 3B - Moncada (0.5), LF - Jimenez (2.3), CF - Robert (0.5), RF - Nimmo (5.0), DH - ??, C - McCann (5.0)
  • Bench: UT - Garcia (4.0)
  • Rotation: #1 - ??, 2 - Giolito (0.5) #3 - Gonzalez (1.0), #4 - Cease (0.5), #5 - Kopech (0.5), #6 - Rodon (6.0)
  • Bullpen: CL - Diaz (5.0), SU - Bummer (0.5), SU - ??, MR - Herrera (8.5), MR - Fry (0.5), MR - Hamilton (0.5), LR - Lopez (0.5)

That’s 18 roster spots locked up (excluding Rodon) for a total of ~$46M.  Assuming a $120M payroll (which is below league average), that would leave us ~$74M to add a TOR starter, setup man, 1B, DH, and a couple bench pieces.

Let’s say Cole is unattainable, if the big free agent signings were Wheeler ($18M), Betances ($12M), Grandal ($20M), & Abreu ($12M), we’d still have ~$12M to add a stopgap 1B/DH and fill out the bench.  And if by some miracle you could add Cole, you’d just go with cheap in-house options at those remaining spots.  Either way, you’d have a young, talented team ready to go to war next year.

I would trade Dunning/Walker/Rutherford + Pilkington for Nimmo and Diaz in a New York minute.  Hell, I'd do that just for Nimmo.  He fits what this team needs perfectly.  

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would trade Dunning/Walker/Rutherford + Pilkington for Nimmo and Diaz in a New York minute.  Hell, I'd do that just for Nimmo.  He fits what this team needs perfectly.  

Health has been an issue for Nimmo, but I would absolutely consider a deal like that. It's unlikely that a club would trade four of it's top 20 prospects in a single deal though. 

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Health has been an issue for Nimmo, but I would absolutely consider a deal like that. It's unlikely that a club would trade four of it's top 20 prospects in a single deal though. 

Lol, @Chicago White Sox was suggesting one of Dunning/Walker/Rutherford + Pilkington. Not all four.  That would be a massive overpay.  

I am thinking something like Walker OR Rutherford + Pilkington + Zavala + Heuer could get a Nimmo + Diaz deal done.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

When people do slashes like that it's typically a "one of". So they are proposing a two player deal.

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

There are no parallels that I see. 

Sox sold on Quintana at the absolute height of his value for an outstanding return during the start of the rebuild phase. This would be the Sox buying low on a great talent just prior to their window of contention opening. 

The Cubs bought Quintana and paid full price for him when there were signs that he had started falling apart in 2017. His velocity hadn't changed, his strikeouts hadn't changed, his peripherals were good, so the Cubs paid the price of "Near all star pitcher under control for 4 years" for him. Instead, they got an asset that had just fallen apart, but they didn't recognize it.

I feel like getting Edwin Diaz would require paying nearly full price for Edwin Diaz, as the Cubs did for Quintana, and there's a risk that you're paying full price for an asset that has depreciated. 

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Rosenthal wrote the Mets are looking for as much or more for Diaz than they gave up to get him. Scratch him off the list.

Tough to really pinpoint exactly how much the Mets gave up for Diaz with all the big contracts that moved around in that deal.