Sox Interested in Marco Gonzales

CWSpalehoseCWS

14 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

Would rather see the Sox go after Greinke or Stroman... which would require more to give up but much better pitchers. 

Greinke is 50-75% about salary relief...but they can’t trade him during the season just 3.5 games back in the wild card race (I know, I know, White Flag was almost same exact number trailing CLE.)

18 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This doesn't do anything for me.  I'd actually be pissed if they made this deal.

Now we understand why Cubs’ fans are pissed about Q, because they’re quite similar.

Someone pointed him out statistically at #29, but most think of him as a 3/4 guy and not an ace or TOR. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Now we understand why Cubs’ fans are pissed about Q, because they’re quite similar.

Someone pointed him out statistically at #29, but most think of him as a 3/4 guy and not an ace or TOR. 

Well a little different circumstance.  We don't have any money on the books this off season.  They should be aiming a lot higher and FAs aren't going to cost prospects.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...it’s like the moment OneDog gets the ban-hammer you step up your irrational hate game to fill his place.  Marco Gonzalez is currently 29th in fWAR amongst qualified starters (one spot behind your beloved Bumgarner).   Calling him a “weak #5 starter” is one of the worst takes I have ever seen on this site in years.

Is he worse than Wood, who will only cost money?  Yes, so why not just sign some pitchers in the offseason?  You yourself have been talking for months about how much money Hahn will have to spend.  It seems that you backtrack as the realistic options get worse and worse.  Originally, you were expecting Cole and Ozuna.  Now it’s Bumgarner and Puig.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Is he worse than Wood, who will only cost money?  Yes, so why not just sign some pitchers in the offseason?  You yourself have been talking for months about how much money Hahn will have to spend.  It seems that you backtrack as the realistic options get worse and worse.  Originally, you were expecting Cole and Ozuna.  Now it’s Bumgarner and Puig.

Wood has been a guy who can't stay on the mound for a full season. Dude seems to always be hurt. He literally hasn't thrown a pitch this season.

Edit: for the first part, I think I mixed him up with someone else. But the second part is true.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Is he worse than Wood, who will only cost money?  Yes, so why not just sign some pitchers in the offseason.  You yourself have been talking for months about how much money Hahn will have to spend.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=13781&position=P

Nobody knows because of Wood’s injury and the whole transition to the AL thing for a pitcher who has spent his whole career in the NL.

The numbers in 2017 and 2018 are quite similar to Gonzales’ 2018/19.

That said, that makes him the perfect buy low candidate...of course, if everyone sitting out the Gerrit Cole sweepstakes views him similarly (and doesn’t wish to overpay Bumgarner for years of wear and tear), we have a scenario of increasing demand and limited supply, not to mention a premium for left handers to help balance out rotations that are RH dominant like we currently have rostered.

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Greinke is 50-75% about salary relief...but they can’t trade him during the season just 3.5 games back in the wild card race (I know, I know, White Flag was almost same exact number trailing CLE.)

Take it for what it’s worth since it’s traderumors site.. 

Edited by EvilJester99

15 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Who is our Loaiza?  Nova?  He’s been too bad to have much value.

Let’s not forget how good Loiaza was in 2003...and probably whoever acquires him would turn Lopez into a Cy Young winner, as he’s the pitcher on the big league roster other teams would target, knowing Giolito won’t be going anywhere.

I’m sure Diamondbacks fans will be simply elated they’re selling when it turns out the Giants might not...they already auctioned off Goldschmidt.  Definition of a team stuck in the middle of contending and rebuilding.   They have some really good pieces (Marte has been great this year) but just not enough.

41 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Who is our Loaiza?  Nova?  He’s been too bad to have much value.

We don’t have anyone like Loaiza that was coming off a great year and was currently disappointing while almost in a walk year.

32 minutes ago, hi8is said:

We don’t have anyone like Loaiza that was coming off a great year and was currently disappointing while almost in a walk year.

So how are the Sox going to pull off such a trade?

Lopez isn’t worth trading.  The Sox need to get him right cuz his stuff is good.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Lol...I literally said why not sign Wood instead in this very thread.  Doesn’t mean your Gonzalez is a “weak #5 starter” post is any less garbage.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...I literally said why not sign Wood instead in this very thread.  Doesn’t mean your Gonzalez is a “weak #5 starter” post is any less garbage.

Good.  It makes no sense to trade any talent for this mediocrity.  Sign Cole and Wood in the offseason.  The Sox have the money, right?

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So how are the Sox going to pull off such a trade?

Lopez isn’t worth trading.  The Sox need to get him right cuz his stuff is good.

They probably aren’t. There isn’t a struggling project like Contreas out there that I know of either.

8 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Gonzalez is mediocre to bad.  He’s a weak #5 pitcher whereas Alex Wood can be signed for just money and could be a #3 starter.

How do you reach this conclusion? He's a LHSP putting up a 100 ERA+ and a lower FIP than ERA, and looks to be on pace to pitch between 180-200 IP. That's a mid rotation starter and a fairly valuable asset.

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

How do you reach this conclusion? He's a LHSP putting up a 100 ERA+ and a lower FIP than ERA, and looks to be on pace to pitch between 180-200 IP. That's a mid rotation starter and a fairly valuable asset.

Because he has irrational hate for this franchise running through his blood.  He literally called the 29th ranked qualified starter in terms of fWAR a “weak #5 starter” simply because the White Sox were rumored to be interested.  It’s a fucking joke man.

• Thanks 1