Sox Interested in Marco Gonzales

CWSpalehoseCWS

11 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Gonzalez is mediocre to bad.  He’s a weak #5 pitcher whereas Alex Wood can be signed for just money and could be a #3 starter.

Why not both? sox are going to need a caddy and insurance for all the young pitchers and Rodon/Kopech/Dunning coming back.

I've had him in my off season plans for a while and the sox and mariners match up well, hes going to bring them back depth not elite prospects. Hes on pace for a 3+ fWAR year, id gladly take him as our #3-5, hes youngish and cost controlled sign me up.

Mid-season 2020 line up
DH - Abreu - FA 2 year + option with 7m buy out
C - Collins*
1B - Vaughn
2B - Madrigal
SS - Anderson
3B - Moncada#
LF - Jimenez
CF - Robert
RF - Puig - FA 4 years + 2 options 

C - McCann
IF - Sanchez#
UT - Garcia#
OF - Basabe#

SP - Giolito
SP - Lopez
SP - Gonzales*
SP - Cease
SP - Kopech

CL - Rodon*
SU - Bummer*
SU - Fry*
MR - Herera
MR - Marshall
LO - Medeiros*
LR - Wood* - FA 3 years with club option

to land Gonzales likely a package of one of Dunning/Walker + Adolfo/Sheets + Burger/Hansen/Burdi 

3 hours ago, beautox said:

to land Gonzales likely a package of one of Dunning/Walker + Adolfo/Sheets + Burger/Hansen/Burdi 

See, I would absolutely hate paying that price for Gonzalez.  The more I’ve thought about it, the more I’d be ok with preemptively adding a guy like Marco (and adding a second starter this offseason), but it has to be at a favorable price.  He may very well warrant such a cost, but if that’s the case just sign two starters this winter.

Also, giving Puig a four year deal would be disastrous.  He simply hasn’t been good enough to warrant such a contract and we need to find one way or the other to add a left-handed bat to the lineup.

This one I kind of like. He has 4 years of control after this year.  You’re not buying a career year; but he’s not really having a “down” year considering he’s only had 1 good year in his career and this is his 2nd to best and it isn’t bad.  He is low K, but has good control. Similar Fly Ball % as Q, but is up this year, which is a concern.   Looks like a lefty #4, which they could use. Some concern about Safeco v. GRF.  Shouldn’t cost anyone in the top 10.

If you want a top of the rotation guy, either grow your own or get aggressive on the FA market.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

This one I kind of like. He has 4 years of control after this year.  You’re not buying a career year; but he’s not really having a “down” year considering he’s only had 1 good year in his career and this is his 2nd to best and it isn’t bad.  He is low K, but has good control. Similar Fly Ball % as Q, but is up this year, which is a concern.   Looks like a lefty #4, which they could use. Some concern about Safeco v. GRF.  Shouldn’t cost anyone in the top 10.

If you want a top of the rotation guy, either grow your own or get aggressive on the FA market.

Would you trade Rutherford for him?

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Good question.  Probably.

He's young and I'd like to let him simmer, but you have to give to get.

It’s a price I’d be willing to be pay given the age, control, and current salary ($1M in 2020).  We’d still need to add a TOR starter in the offseason, but would at least we’d enter the winter with more pitching depth than we have right now.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s a price I’d be willing to be pay given the age, control, and current salary ($1M in 2020).  We’d still need to add a TOR starter in the offseason, but would at least we’d enter the winter with more pitching depth than we have right now.

What happens if Lopez continues to pitch great down the stretch? Do you still think they add 2 SPs(from it's current state)?

Adding Gonzalez puts them at Gio-Kopech-Gonzalez-Cease-Lopez going into next season. 

1 minute ago, scs787 said:

What happens if Lopez continues to pitch great down the stretch? Do you still think they add 2 SPs(from it's current state)?

Adding Gonzalez puts them at Gio-Kopech-Gonzalez-Cease-Lopez going into next season. 

Could always flip Gonzales in the off-season if you end up adding (for example) Cole. Having too many isn't a bad problem.

I still don’t particularly understand why we would give up any legitimate assets for starting pitching. There are plenty of good to interesting starting pitchers on the free-agent market in a couple months. Why give up assets when all we will need to give up in a couple months is money? If the price is minimal, sure. Otherwise, just fill our starting pitching needs via FA.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/seattle-mariners/marco-gonzales-18161/

I missed the 2020 salary...$1 million, so exactly like trading for Quintana for the Cubs, pretty much.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I still don’t particularly understand why we would give up any legitimate assets for starting pitching. There are plenty of good to interesting starting pitchers on the free-agent market in a couple months. Why give up assets when all we will need to give up in a couple months is money? If the price is minimal, sure. Otherwise, just fill our starting pitching needs via FA.

This.

Sign Cole and a guy like Alex Wood, keep the prospects, and call it a day. The Sox have so much financial flexibility moving forward. There is no reason not to use it.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Why?  They’re going to need all the pitching they can get...

You putting Lopez or Gonzalez in the pen? 

I'd be looking into adding someone like Dane Dunning(to go with Dane Dunning) that has upside but you can still stash in the minors in case of injury. 

14 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I think they would.  Gonzalez provides depth, but we still need a guy at the top to help take some pressure of the young guys.  If that forces Lopez to the bullpen or Kopech to AAA, that’s a good problem to have.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

After you get past Gerrit Cole, there’s certainly a next tier of guys like Bumgarner, Hamels, Wheeler, Ryu (see health history), maybe Strasburg, Odorizzi (he’s been fading recently).

That’s something like 6-7 pitchers Sox (most/some) fans would be happy to get.   But that’s also true for every team in baseball.

Gonzales would be in that next group along with the likes of Alex Wood (has missed entire season, will struggle to get past 150-160 innings next year after missing 4 months), Michael Wacha, Kyle Gibson, Porcello, Chacin, Fiers, etc.  They could all be Ivan Novas in waiting, none are guaranteed to work out.

Getting Gonzales for a reasonable price locks in a guaranteed #3/4 starter...then you can really set your sights on the top of the leaderboard.

13 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This.

Sign Cole and a guy like Alex Wood, keep the prospects, and call it a day. The Sox have so much financial flexibility moving forward. There is no reason not to use it.

Adding Gonzalez allows you to allocate your financial resources elsewhere.  Marco’s salary next year is $1M and Wood should command $10M+.  It all just depends on the price TBH.  I would not give up more than a Rutherford caliber prospect for him.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they would.  Gonzalez provides depth, but we still need a guy at the top to help take some pressure of the young guys.  If that forces Lopez to the bullpen or Kopech to AAA, that’s a good problem to have.

Ask the Cubs if they though Hendricks and Hamel were going to get hurt...they couldn’t even be sure Darvish would not be a basket case.  Having Chatwood and Montgomery to work out of the bullpen has mostly worked out (albeit overpaid).  

They’re currently using a minor leaguer/placeholder and they tried Alzolay as well.

Even the 2005 White Sox desperately needed a fresh Brandon McCarthy down the stretch.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ask the Cubs if they though Hendricks and Hamel were going to get hurt...they couldn’t even be sure Darvish would not be a basket case.  Having Chatwood and Montgomery to work out of the bullpen has mostly worked out (albeit overpaid).  

They’re currently using a minor leaguer/placeholder and they tried Alzolay as well.

Even the 2005 White Sox desperately needed a fresh Brandon McCarthy down the stretch.

100% agree.  And when you’re counting on two young guys in Cease & Kopech to be key parts of a contending rotation, it’s even more important to have depth behind them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Adding Gonzalez allows you to allocate your financial resources elsewhere.  Marco’s salary next year is $1M and Wood should command $10M+.  It all just depends on the price TBH.  I would not give up more than a Rutherford caliber prospect for him.

I mean, trading for Gonzales makes sense if the cost isn't ridiculously high, but I can't imagine that he will come cheap. Like you said, it depends on the price I guess.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I mean, trading for Gonzales makes sense if the cost isn't ridiculously high, but I can't imagine that he will come cheap. Like you said, it depends on the price I guess.

That’s the question.  He’s definitely not a guy you overpay for when sitting on lots of cash.  But there is a price point where he makes sense adding right now.