Sox Interested in Marco Gonzales

CWSpalehoseCWS

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it’s wrong to say Walker is struggling at High A.  He’s most definitely not dominating or playing up to the level of a second round pick out of college, but a 114 wRC+ despite a suppressed BABIP isn’t terrible.

Okay, so he's playing slightly above average in a league where you'd like to see better numbers than that. Steiver is dominating and has the pen as an option if he doesn't work out as a starter. That's why I think he's more likely to get to MLB than Walker, unless the Sox are just being stubborn, but baseball seems to be the sport where value of a draft pick matters least to roster decision making.

28 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Okay, so he's playing slightly above average in a league where you'd like to see better numbers than that. Steiver is dominating and has the pen as an option if he doesn't work out as a starter. That's why I think he's more likely to get to MLB than Walker, unless the Sox are just being stubborn, but baseball seems to be the sport where value of a draft pick matters least to roster decision making.

Stiever didn't exactly dominate A ball either - he has dominated A+ though.

55 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

So, just to clarify, I think Steiver is more talented and has more potential to be a dominant player. I think Walker is a pretty boring player. However, there is two years of health, of continued work on control, of developing pitchers, that makes a list of a lot more work Steiver needs to do to hit that higher ceiling.

Dunning was awesome in A+ as a college draft pick. Then he had a series of injuries which he can still come back from but he's likely not to start his mlb career, if he does, until 26.

Walker, by contrast, is entirely competent if not exciting because he has only a 15% k rate and a good 9% walk rate. He, from accounts, still has not failed as a CFer. That's the makings of, at least, a borderline MLB player.

Now, I've discussed giving value to players who merely make the big leagues even if they aren't particularly good, but walker has a very decent likelihood of having a big league career (any version of one).

1 hour ago, bmags said:

So, just to clarify, I think Steiver is more talented and has more potential to be a dominant player. I think Walker is a pretty boring player. However, there is two years of health, of continued work on control, of developing pitchers, that makes a list of a lot more work Steiver needs to do to hit that higher ceiling.

Dunning was awesome in A+ as a college draft pick. Then he had a series of injuries which he can still come back from but he's likely not to start his mlb career, if he does, until 26.

Walker, by contrast, is entirely competent if not exciting because he has only a 15% k rate and a good 9% walk rate. He, from accounts, still has not failed as a CFer. That's the makings of, at least, a borderline MLB player.

Now, I've discussed giving value to players who merely make the big leagues even if they aren't particularly good, but walker has a very decent likelihood of having a big league career (any version of one).

And you don't think Steiver has a similar likelihood of at least seeing some time in a MLB bullpen?