Steve Stone Says the White Sox are Working Hard on These Trades

Steve Stones said the Sox are keenly interested and working hard on trying to acquire starting pitching.  He also said a left-handed hitting outfielder is a need.  Presuming that Steve would have some insider knowledge, I wonder what pitcher or pitchers the White Sox are trying to acquire.  Will we see an exciting trade along these lines by Wednesday?  Would love to know who they are asking about and what they would be willing to give up in each scenario.  Until recently, one name that I would not have put up in the possible give up list would have been Zach Collins, but that might be a name that has value that they are dangling.

1 hour ago, Thomas_Ventura_Roberts said:

Steve Stones said the Sox are keenly interested and working hard on trying to acquire starting pitching.  He also said a left-handed hitting outfielder is a need.  Presuming that Steve would have some insider knowledge, I wonder what pitcher or pitchers the White Sox are trying to acquire.  Will we see an exciting trade along these lines by Wednesday?  Would love to know who they are asking about and what they would be willing to give up in each scenario.  Until recently, one name that I would not have put up in the possible give up list would have been Zach Collins, but that might be a name that has value that they are dangling.

Probably best to not know the names.  The forums would go nuts for 5 days of speculation and if nothing happened the depression would settle in for the next month.

54 minutes ago, spiderman said:

I have no doubt that the White Sox are looking to add controllable starting pitching, but we're talking more about guys like Nova than anything of substance, in my humble opinion.

Yup, the Sox are definitely targeting a $80M payroll and third place finish next year.

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, the Sox are definitely targeting a $80M payroll and third place finish next year.

I don't think they are targeting that. I just don't think they are going to pay a big price via trade for a starting pitcher right now. In the off-season, that could change. If they can find some controllable starter for next season without giving up much, they may be interested. If you look at the rotation, Giolioto, Lopez and Cease are going to be in the rotation. Kopech is likely too be assuming health. They do need a top of the line starter, but they also need insurance, maybe a 6th starter, veteran type who can come out of the bullpen who they can use from time to time to avoid overworking Kopech/Cease.

1 hour ago, spiderman said:

I don't think they are targeting that. I just don't think they are going to pay a big price via trade for a starting pitcher right now. In the off-season, that could change. If they can find some controllable starter for next season without giving up much, they may be interested. If you look at the rotation, Giolioto, Lopez and Cease are going to be in the rotation. Kopech is likely too be assuming health. They do need a top of the line starter, but they also need insurance, maybe a 6th starter, veteran type who can come out of the bullpen who they can use from time to time to avoid overworking Kopech/Cease.

My bad, I didn’t realize you meant right now.  That makes much more sense, but I still think they’ll be shooting for something better than Nova.

7 hours ago, spiderman said:

Of course the issue with waiting for the off season is the price of pitching goes sky-high especially free agents and a bunch of other teams get involved.