Lol...Stroman to Mets

Chicago White Sox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Apparently the Mets gave up some pitching prospects, but no names yet.  Can’t wait to see the actual names.

Also, if you think the KW/Hahn/Reinsdorf trio is bad, imagine having the Wilpon’s & Brodie Van Wagenen instead.  At least we know things could be worse.

There's also a greater hope for an eventual change in ownership...there's that.   The Wilpon family had enough of a financial setback with the Madoff fiasco that they might feel compelled to sell at some point.

Syndegaard has one more year of control than Stroman.

So it's simply hoping the prospects that you get back from the Padres (let's say, Quantrill, L.Allen, Naylor plus) are enough to make it worth it...

That sounds short, so they're going to ask for Luis Patino (Lake Elsinore), Michel Baez or Morejon from the Top 100 list (both those guys are on the current roster)

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Apparently the Mets gave up some pitching prospects, but no names yet.  Can’t wait to see the actual names.

Also, if you think the KW/Hahn/Reinsdorf trio is bad, imagine having the Wilpon’s & Brodie Van Wagenen instead.  At least we know things could be worse.

On the other hand, our drafts the last 3-4 years have been so bad there is nothing to trade of value outside of the untouchables.  It’s really disappointing when teams are getting good trade value for their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

On the other hand, our drafts the last 3-4 years have been so bad there is nothing to trade of value outside of the untouchables.  It’s really disappointing when teams are getting good trade value for their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Where's our Yelich, lol?

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah. My thoughts exactly. The system is very top heavy and that is a major problem when it comes to wanting to fill out the roster next year or in 2021.  Eventually they will have to figure out how to develop these 2nd round or 3rd round picks. Hahn loves referring to critical mass of prospects. But when the upper echelon prospects experience major injuries and the 2nd tier prospects under perform, I don't think critical mass exists. 

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

The 2018 draft seems fine.  Walker, Stiever, Pilkington, & Heuer all have some trade value, plus there’s still hope for some of the HS picks to emerge.

The problem is the 2016 draft quickly went from looking great to a disaster due to injuries, Collin’s slow and/or lack of development, & Hansen’s meltdown, while the 2017 draft had many highly questionable picks.  I mean I can’t believe we went over-slot in the 2nd for a college 1B and then wasted two early picks on low ceiling pitchers in Henzman & McClure.  The Burger injury & LuGo AA struggles have made it very possible we end up with nothing from this draft.  At this point, the over-slot 1B is probably our best hope of getting a contributor and that’s a huge if.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The 2018 draft seems fine.  Walker, Stiever, Pilkington, & Heuer all have some trade value, plus there’s still hope for some of the HS picks to emerge.

The problem is the 2016 draft quickly went from looking great to a disaster due to injuries, Collin’s slow and/or lack of development, & Hansen’s meltdown, while the 2017 draft had many highly questionable picks.  I mean I can’t believe we went over-slot in the 2nd for a college 1B and then wasted two early picks on low ceiling pitchers in Henzman & McClure.  The Burger injury & LuGo AA struggles have made it very possible we end up with nothing from this draft.  At this point, the over-slot 1B is probably our best hope of getting a contributor and that’s a huge if.

You’re a lot higher than me on Walker and Pilkington, as I think both have had mediocre seasons.  But yes, the 2016 and 2017 have been epic failures up to this point.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

You’re a lot higher than me on Walker and Pilkington, as I think both have had mediocre seasons.  But yes, the 2016 and 2017 have been epic failures up to this point.

Walker was on absolute fire for W-S after an initial adjustment period.  He’s since hit a cold steak, but I remain optimistic with him.  I know many here are down on him and that’s totally fair, but BA & MLBpipeline both remain high on him based on their latest rankings.

As for Pilkington, his ERA looks bad at W-S and his BB rate is admittedly high, but his K rate is fine and @SoxAce said he was hitting 94 MPH in his last start.  If that’s truly the case, then I think he’s still a very interesting prospect.

Beyond Triple-A lefthander Anthony Kay, who pitched a scoreless inning at the Futures Game, the Mets have no prospect reinforcements on the immediate horizon. Most of the organization’s top talent is concentrated at low Class A Columbia and in short-season ball, a product of focusing on high school talent in recent drafts and a continued emphasis on Latin America. College lefties Kay, David Peterson and Kevin Smith are the only exceptions in the Mets’ midseason Top 10 Prospects ranking.

baseballamerica.com

Anthony Kay, a 2016 first-round pick, was considered the Mets’ most ready pitching prospect, but has struggled since being called up to Triple-A earlier this season. Kay is 1-3 with a 6.62 ERA in seven starts. Woods-Richardson was selected by the Mets in the second round of the 2018 draft, and is 3-8 with a 4.25 ERA with Single-A Columbia.

Edited by caulfield12

Targets for the Mets as they deal Syndegaard

1A) Cal Quantrill

1B) Will go after Baez or Morejon, might have to accept Luis Patino (#2 in terms of potential after Gore) in the CAL League...Logan Allen would be a disappointing fallback position

1C) Josh Naylor or Xavier Edwards...unless they're willing take a lesser AA position prospect in order to get Patino

No way the Padres will trade Mackenzie Gore.   Not sure how much rope Luis Urias has left at second, he's been up to the majors 3 time now and has struggled offensively all three times, but very nifty defensively.  Considering he's still ranked as one of the Top 20-25 prospects in baseball, moving him would be a shocker.

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Hes FA after next year.

Thanks, really doesn’t make any sense for the Mets, although the price wasn’t that bad and they should get a comp pick for him after the 2020 season if he stays healthy.  Will be interesting to see what they get for Thor & Wheeler.