Orioles Claim Rondon - HE GONE

ChiSox59

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Had semi high hopes for Rondon. All the scouting reports dubbed him as a + defensive SS with some good pop for his position.

Oh well.

Me too. I was interested in seeing them try to work him in the OF and turn him into a super sub.  He did play 12 innings the OF this year, but clearly the Sox didn't trust him there, and the bat was putrid this season.

Wouldn't have minded retaining him down in Charlotte, but not really that surprised to see him claimed.  Literally only made it through one team (the Tigers) before he was claimed.  

6 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Had semi high hopes for Rondon. All the scouting reports dubbed him as a + defensive SS with some good pop for his position.

Oh well.

Same. With consistent PT I still think he's better than Yolmer but whatever

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yes, that was obvious when it was announced he was DFA'd. Hes out of options. 

Not really.  I am aware he was out of options. When someone is DFA'd the org has 7 days to try to trade the player or place them on waivers.  He was DFA'd just 2 days ago, so they clearly just put him straight on waivers.  

Edited by ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not really.  I am aware he was out of options. When someone is DFA'd the org has 7 days to try to trade the player, place them on waivers, or outright them.  He was DFA'd just 2 days ago, so they clearly just put him straight on waivers.  

Pretry sure that's wrong. If they could just outright him, that wouldn't be very different from optioning a player and teams would just hold onto to the fringe guys they always DFA and lose. It wouldn't be different from optioning. He has to clear waivers FIRST before just being outrighted. Otherwise, what's the point of "sneaking through on waivers?" Yhe outright is after he clears waivers.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Pretry sure that's wrong. If they could just outright him, that wouldn't be very different from optioning a player and teams would just hold onto to the fringe guys they always DFA and lose. It wouldn't be different from optioning. He has to clear waivers FIRST before just being outrighted.

Yah, I took the outright out immediately after I posted.  It should have said release, not outright.  The player needs to clear waivers before you can outright.  But the player does not need to be placed on waivers immediately, which they clearly did with Rondon. The team has a week to try to trade a DFA'd player before they either place a place on waivers or release. They clearly tried to just sneak him through waivers right away.  That is all I was getting at.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I took the outright out immediately after I posted.  It should have said release, not outright.  The player needs to clear waivers before you can outright.  But the player does not need to be placed on waivers immediately, which they clearly did with Rondon. The team has a week to try to trade a DFA'd player before they either place a place on waivers or release. They clearly tried to just sneak him through waivers right away.  That is all I was getting at.  

I think the waiver window is a week, starting right at the DFA. They just have the ability to trade before the time is up. They clearly just didn't bother trying.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think the waiver window is a week, starting right at the DFA. They just have the ability to trade before the time is up. They clearly just didn't bother trying.

Right..................which is what I was getting when I said "looks like Sox tried to sneak him through waivers to no avail." 

Edited by ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right..................which is what I was getting when I said "looks like Sox tried to sneak him through waivers to no avail." 

And I'm, saying we've known that for about a day when he was dfa'd lol he was either going to be claimed or outrighted pretty much. "Sneaking a guy through waivers" is when you strategically dfa a guy, trying to sneak him through waivers when other teams are also opening up spots for guys not on their 40-man. Example: extra catchers on the 40-man at the end of spring training (like Kevan Smith) or just interesting players in general out of options. Team will try to sneak guys through in about a month when rosters expand.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

And I'm, saying we've known that for about a day when he was dfa'd lol he was either going to be claimed or outrighted pretty much.

This is purely semantics and probably not worth debating, but pretty sure a team has a week when the player is in DFA limbo before the team actually has to make a waiver/release decision. The team can look to trade the player in that period, or elect to just put them on waivers or release if they want.    

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is purely semantics and probably not worth debating, but pretty sure a team has a week when the player is in DFA limbo before the team actually has to make a waiver/release decision. The team can look to trade the player in that period, or elect to just put them on waivers or release if they want.    

I've added to my comment since your response. I wouldn't say they tried "sneaking him."

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I've added to my comment since your response. I wouldn't say they tried "sneaking him."

I sincerely apologize for using the wording "sneak".  

Edited by ChiSox59

Anything's possible, but I think there's a very small chance that Jose Rondon is going to be a MLB player of any value. I do not think he's better than Yolmer, who has also been disappointing. Last year, Rondon had a solid offensive year in AAA and MLB with a sub-.300 OBP and low batting average. He hit 24 homers between the two levels after never topping 7 in any prior season. He simultaneously began to strike out at a rate that is only sustainable with either a lot of walks (nope, very few) or a lot of power. His defense did not look good to the eye or the metrics, especially at SS. He's not a fast runner. While I generally am skeptical of things like this, he also gave the impression of having his head up his ass much of the time.

I'd rather watch Ryan Goins play than him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I sincerely apologize for using the wording "sneak".  

lmao it's not what's happening here. Player is DFA'd, he's placed on waivers and teams place claims on him, team can just let him go to a claiming team or work out a trade in the 7-day window if they realize there's enough interest and claiming teams. If time has passed and no one placed a claim, he can be outrighted and stay with the organization but he's able to decide if he wants to accept or reject the assignment.

Someone else shed some light for a while.

Edited by soxfan2014

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

lmao it's not what's happening here. Player is DFA'd, he's placed on waivers and teams place claims on him, team can just let him go to a claiming team or work out a trade in the 7-day window if they realize there's enough interest and claiming teams. If time has passed and no one placed a claim, he can be outrighted and he can decide if he can reject the assignment.

Someone else shed some light for a while.

And I am telling you that is that my understanding is that the player is not REQUIRED to IMMEDIATELY go on waivers when they are DFA'd.  The club has a week to decide what to do (trade/place on waivers/release).  The club is not required to ever put the player on waivers if they don't want to, they can just release him.  So instead of looking to find a trade partner for Rondon (who probably would have garnered no interest via trade) during that week, the Sox simply elected to put him straight on waivers in hopes he would clear, at which point (if he did clear) they would outright him to AAA and keep him in the org. 

I don't think this is that complicated.  Please show me the language if I am wrong, but I don't believe a player is instantly placed on waivers when they are DFA'd.  The team literally has to place them on waivers, and they have a week to decide. Again - semantics - but pretty sure my understanding of the process is correct.  

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And I am telling you that is that my understanding is that the player is not REQUIRED to IMMEDIATELY go on waivers when they are DFA'd.  The club has a week to decide what to do (trade/place waivers/release).  The club is not required to ever put the player on waivers if they don't want to, they can just release him.  So instead of looking to find a trade partner for Rondon (who probably would have garnered to interest) during that week, the Sox simply elected to put him straight on waivers in hopes he would clear, at which point (if he did clear) they would outright him to AAA and keep him in the org. 

I don't think this is that complicated.  Please show me the language if I am wrong, but I don't believe a player instantly is placed on waivers when they are DFA'd.  The team literally has to put them through waivers. Again - semantics - but pretty sure my understanding of the process is correct.  

Definition from Baseball Reference:

A player is designated for assignment when his team wants to replace him on the active roster and he is out of options. The team thus announces its wish to send the player to the minor leagues and places his name on waivers. If the player is claimed, a trade may be worked out between the two teams.

Alright, break over. Gotta get back to work.

Edited by soxfan2014