Orioles Claim Rondon - HE GONE

ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Definition from Baseball Reference:

A player is designated for assignment when his team wants to replace him on the active roster and he is out of options. The team thus announces its wish to send the player to the minor leagues and places his name on waivers. If the player is claimed, a trade may be worked out between the two teams.

Alright, break over. Gotta get back to work.

Definition from MLB.com:

When a player's contract is designated for assignment -- often abbreviated "DFA" -- that player is immediately removed from his club's 40-man roster. Within seven days of the transaction (had been 10 days under the 2012-16 Collective Bargaining Agreement), the player can either be traded or placed on irrevocable outright waivers.

Pretty amazing Rondon was picked up by the first team that had the chance.

I do think the Sox set him up for failure and there is some natural ability and upside with Rondon. Wish him the best. Maybe the O's are just the shit show to get him some (almost) everyday looks. 

Terrible team, and will soon lose Mancini...their starter last night finished with a 7+ ERA and today’s is averaging 83-86 with his fastball and getting hit around like its BP.

Guess Rondon will share time with Martin, Villar, Alberto...

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=668939#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

It’s even rubbing off on Adley...Sox fans would be flipping out if Vaughn was putting up those numbers out of the gate.  Surely it’s just rust from such an extended layoff.

Losing minot league depth is not good,. It‘s not the end of the world or anything,, but it means that teams have to either rush a prospect or give at bats to an even worse player. That is true for EVERY team and shows that you still have a lack of understanding how a roster is built.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Losing minot league depth is not good,. It‘s not the end of the world or anything,, but it means that teams have to either rush a prospect or give at bats to an even worse player. That is true for EVERY team and shows that you still have a lack of understanding how a roster is built.

It’s the definition of being a meatball.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agreed, no idea why we continue to give everyday at-bats to Yolmer.  We know what he is (a reserve IF) and playing him on a regular basis is simply inflating his future cost.

I agree with you but Yolmer’s future cost shouldn’t matter at this point.  He will cost around $5 million for next season and he just isn’t worth it.  He’s an obvious non-tender candidate.

This is why it made sense to call up 25/26 year old Mendick over Goins (soon to be 32 with zero future) to let Mendick audition to see if he can appropriately replace Yolmer for next year.  Then you know if you need to spend $2 to $3 million on a free agent backup infielder or not.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

His future cost shouldn’t matter at this point. He will cost around $5 million for next season and he just isn’t worth it.

Agreed, but at $2.5M he would have been a solid backup infielder & clubhouse presence.  That’s now longer an option because of his inflated salary.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agreed, but at $2.5M he would have been a solid backup infielder & clubhouse presence.  That’s now longer an option because of his inflated salary.

Yep.  And you responded too quickly but my additional edit addressed your $2.5 million dollar comment as well.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I agree with you but Yolmer’s future cost shouldn’t matter at this point.  He will cost around $5 million for next season and he just isn’t worth it.  He’s an obvious non-tender candidate.

I think Yolmer is a lot like Shields. I don’t know where else he would have 2200 plate appearances, even though he isn’t the worst player in the league. But to me and I am sure many more, just like Shields, the rebuild won’t feel like it is in the next phase until they move on from him. If he as a part timer these past several seasons, playing a role for which he is more suited, his arb number is probably lower and I probably wouldn’t feel the same way.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Yolmer is a lot like Shields. I don’t know where else he would have 2200 plate appearances, even though he isn’t the worst player in the league. But to me and I am sure many more, just like Shields, the rebuild won’t feel like it is in the next phase until they move on from him. If he as a part timer these past several seasons, playing a role for which he is more suited, his arb number is probably lower and I probably wouldn’t feel the same way.

Exactly...we did this to ourselves.