Trevor Bauer traded to Reds - Puig to Indians

Whisox05

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Wonderful contribution...and lol at anyone who thinks Reyes doesn’t give up as many runs defensively in RF as he puts on the board offensively.

Plus, even Allard has a brighter future than Logan Allen.

He'll probably be in LF. Easier to hide the glove there. And he can DH.

On paper, it makes sense because Bauer is half the pitcher he was last season in terms of fWAR, 2.7 to 5.8.

That said, I would be shocked if he wasn’t at least a 3-5 fWAR pitcher in the NL.

Change of scenery will do him wonders.

At their peaks, Puig and Reyes will contribute around 2 each.

Indians still better hope Carrasco and Kluber return to form or they will be knocked out early from the playoffs.

Of course, it’s also about saving $18-20 million on Bauer next year in arbitration.

And another example of how the Alonso trade came back to bite us...as now they have someone cheap/cost controlled at DH for another half decade.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/7/31/20748126/yasiel-puig-trevor-bauer-trade-cleveland-indians-cincinnati-reds-franmil-reyes

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

On paper, it makes sense because Bauer is half the pitcher he was last season in terms of fWAR, 2.7 to 5.8.

That said, I would be shocked if he wasn’t at least a 3-5 fWAR pitcher in the NL.

Change of scenery will do him wonders.

At their peaks, Puig and Reyes will contribute around 2 each.

It’s only been 2/3 of a season, so that’s kind of a weird way of looking at it.  And I hope you wouldn’t be shocked that Bauer would be the same caliber pitcher he’s been the last few years.

Also, Puig’s peak doesn’t matter because he’s a pure rental.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Wonderful contribution...and lol at anyone who thinks Reyes doesn’t give up as many runs defensively in RF as he puts on the board offensively.

1. He doesn't grade out anywhere near that poorly in RF

2. Allen was better last year at 21 years old at the same levels allard has been at this year. 

People love the younger and unknown. Allen is likely just a better version of allard. 

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Lmao please continue with your wonderful contributions of punny nicknames that have nothing to do with the topic at hand

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1. He doesn't grade out anywhere near that poorly in RF

2. Allen was better last year at 21 years old at the same levels allard has been at this year. 

People love the younger and unknown. Allen is likely just a better version of allard. 

He catches the balls he can get to...sure...but his range is like Palka’s and he doesn’t have the arm for RF.  He’s like a statue out there.  If they really valued him that highly, they would have traded Renfroe at peak value.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Cincy could flip Bauer.

He is an odd case because he is such an odd dude.  If you take him at his word and he really isn't going to be signing anything other than one year deals from now on, then this could be Bauer's baseball life for the rest of his career.  Start with one team, if they aren't good, move on in July.

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They have hitting and need pitching. Guess they think they can go for it next year.

But like next year is it. They could have packaged up trammel in offseason for an available pitcher for more than 1 year control considering this year ain’t it for them.

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING

• ESPN’s Keith Law: “The San Diego Padres look like the biggest winners here, although that’s assuming that Taylor Trammell is the player we saw the last two years and not the guy who has had a disappointing season as a 21-year-old in Double-A this year. … Trammell is a four-tool guy, lacking the arm for anywhere but left field, but shows good bat control, plus speed , potentially plus range in left, and projected above-average power.”

• Baseball America: Trammell “has continued to show the ability to control the strike zone and get on base, but has struggled to make much impact at the plate in his first taste of the upper levels. Still, scouts see above-average raw power and above-average footspeed, which gives them hope that he could blossom into the coveted power-speed prospect. He’s made strides this season in left field but is not an average defender and would need to play center field if he doesn’t develop the power needed to profile in a corner-outfield role. Still, he was one of the youngest players in the Double-A Southern League, so there’s still plenty of time for him to develop.”

• The Ringer: “San Diego also had so many outfielders and so many pitching prospects that it evidently felt like it could sacrifice one member from each pool to try to fix Trammell’s swing, and thus, like Cleveland, use a position of strength to address a position of weakness. The only difference is that Cleveland made the trade for the next three months; San Diego, with Trammell still in Double-A, made the trade with the next three years and more in mind as it builds its next contending roster.”

• The Athletic’s Jim Bowden: “Padres GM A.J. Preller continues to follow his blueprint of always trading for quality over quantity and lands the best overall prospect in the deal in Trammell. The Padres love his tools, his ability to get on base and his potential to be an exciting table-setter and long-term answer in center field. This trade follows the same philosophy Preller used when he acquired Fernando Tatis Jr. from the White Sox and Chris Paddack from the Marlins for veteran reliever Fernando Rodney.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2019-07-31/padres-reds-indians-trade-taylor-trammell-franmil-reyes-logan-allen

After letting it sit a little, I think I understand this deal. 

I gave the Indians 8.5/10 as they acquired five players for 1! (!!!). I don't know much about the prospects (other than Allen if he still qualifies) but they're diversified. Puig helps them now. Reyes helps them now and in the future. Allen the jury is still out on but if they make him a quality #4 they should win this trade handedly. The other two prospects are just gravy. I guess the one knock would be they didn't even acquired the top prospect in the deal.

I give the Padres 6.5/10. They took on some risk here if Trammel never takes the next step forward but neither of these players fit with them. Reyes is a god awful outfielder and Allen doesn't sniff their future rotations. Given the amount of org depth they have this is a great risk for them. 

I give the Reds 3/10. They just do whatever they can to get better in the short term but have hurt their future in the process. Trading Puig and Trammel for Bauer is a probable improvement for this year and a big improvement for next year. That said, they better win next year. If they're trying to compete annually I think they would've been better served trading Trammel for someone with more control or keeping Trammel. They're an interesting team though. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

But like next year is it. They could have packaged up trammel in offseason for an available pitcher for more than 1 year control considering this year ain’t it for them.

That's why they could flip Bauer today.Maybe get more than Trammel back for Bauer especially if they soured on him a bit. Yankees Twins Astros Brewers still all want starting pitching.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's why they could flip Bauer today.Maybe get more than Trammel back for Bauer especially if they soured on him a bit. Yankees Twins Astros Brewers still all want starting pitching.

I highly doubt the Reds flip Bauer today, or in the offseason.  They want to win.  Not necessarily this season, but Bauer obviously is a big boost to their rotation next season.

This was a super interesting trade.  

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

After letting it sit a little, I think I understand this deal. 

I gave the Indians 8.5/10 as they acquired five players for 1! (!!!). I don't know much about the prospects (other than Allen if he still qualifies) but they're diversified. Puig helps them now. Reyes helps them now and in the future. Allen the jury is still out on but if they make him a quality #4 they should win this trade handedly. The other two prospects are just gravy. I guess the one knock would be they didn't even acquired the top prospect in the deal.

I give the Padres 6.5/10. They took on some risk here if Trammel never takes the next step forward but neither of these players fit with them. Reyes is a god awful outfielder and Allen doesn't sniff their future rotations. Given the amount of org depth they have this is a great risk for them. 

I give the Reds 3/10. They just do whatever they can to get better in the short term but have hurt their future in the process. Trading Puig and Trammel for Bauer is a probable improvement for this year and a big improvement for next year. That said, they better win next year. If they're trying to compete annually I think they would've been better served trading Trammel for someone with more control or keeping Trammel. They're an interesting team though. 

But if Reds can flip Bauer today for someone they like better than Trammel like perhaps Clint Frazier then its another story

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I highly doubt the Reds flip Bauer today, or in the offseason.  They want to win.  Not necessarily this season, but Bauer obviously is a big boost to their rotation next season.

This was a super interesting trade.  

Would you take a guy like Clint Frazier+ if you were the Reds ? Already ML ready and Trammel didnt do so great in AA. Frazier has no spot on the Yankees. Instant offense for the Reds but bad glove but Trammel could be a bust.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Would you take a guy like Clint Frazier if you were the Reds ? Already ML ready and Trammel didnt do so great in AA. Frazier has no spot on the Yankees

No, I would not trade what would effectively be Trammel, Puig and Moss for Clint Frazier.  That is awful.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No, I would not trade what would effectively be Trammel, Puig and Moss for Clint Frazier.  That is awful.  

I edited my post to say Frazier+ before you posted  But I was just using Frazier+ as an example . He's (Bauer) just a 1 year player anyway maybe get some ML ready talent back with control and another controllable piece. After all the Indians got 5 pieces for him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• knightni changed the title to Trevor Bauer traded to Reds - Puig to Indians