7/31 Games

Jose Abreu

7 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

What do you get out of shitting on Rutherford?  

Because some fanboys or ceaseless prospect fluffers were going ga-ga over him improving from his absolutely putrid 500 OPS he was rocking into June.  He's at like a 650 OPS right now with hardly any power.  He'll be repeating AA next year in a make or break year for remaining a prospect.

In much happier notes I don't think there's any doubt that Vaughn is going to be MLB ready in 2021 and perhaps even late summer next year.  Adding Vaughn, Madrigal and Robert as the next wave is going to do wonders for the lineup.  Need to obviously find the next wave now they they won't have massive advantages like the start of the rebuild but hey they did really well to get those guys despite all the other problems in the org.

People who aren't high on Yermin typically just say he is a worthless fatass, but the dude has been a solid hitter many years in the minors. Sure, he's been old for certain leagues, but clubs take it slow with catchers. Maybe the dude can be a DH placeholder for a year or two. 

32 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

What do you get out of shitting on Rutherford?  

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Because some fanboys or ceaseless prospect fluffers were going ga-ga over him improving from his absolutely putrid 500 OPS he was rocking into June.  He's at like a 650 OPS right now with hardly any power.  He'll be repeating AA next year in a make or break year for remaining a prospect.

In much happier notes I don't think there's any doubt that Vaughn is going to be MLB ready in 2021 and perhaps even late summer next year.  Adding Vaughn, Madrigal and Robert as the next wave is going to do wonders for the lineup.  Need to obviously find the next wave now they they won't have massive advantages like the start of the rebuild but hey they did really well to get those guys despite all the other problems in the org.

I mean, this is a message board and we typically debate various topics without taking opposing viewpoints personally (apparently not the case).  That being said, @chitownsportsfan summarized my thoughts very nicely.  I keep hearing how awesome Rutherford has been after a slow start when nothing in the underlying statistics suggest that at all.  Meanwhile, Sheets has been awesome and doesn’t get nearly as much love.  It’s really as simple as that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, this is a message board and we typically debate various topics without taking opposing viewpoints personally (apparently not the case).  That being said, @chitownsportsfan summarized my thoughts very nicely.  I keep hearing how awesome Rutherford has been after a slow start when nothing in the underlying statistics suggest that at all.  Meanwhile, Sheets has been awesome and doesn’t get nearly as much love.  It’s really as simple as that.

Can someone show me Sheets stats this season since his turnaround started? Trying to find month by month stats for MiLB on Baseball Reference but not sure...

Edit: found he had an .884 OPS in June and an .895 in July. Nice!

Edited by KrankinSox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I was talking anout about the Knights team. I know... who cares, but just me being curious. 

I don't think it's going to affect anyone too much. Most likely just push Mendick to 3B. I think Skole has been there the past few games, and he's normally a 1B. With Moncada going down, can't imagine this is even an issue until he's healthy.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just wanted to show my support for the points made here. I don't think Rutherford is much of a prospect at this point. No reason to totally bail on him, that doesn't accomplish anything, but I'm not seeing reason for optimism. Sheets is starting to look like a legit bat. Him and Stiever can combine to make a decent trade package in the offseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danman31 said:

I just wanted to show my support for the points made here. I don't think Rutherford is much of a prospect at this point. No reason to totally bail on him, that doesn't accomplish anything, but I'm not seeing reason for optimism. Sheets is starting to look like a legit bat. Him and Stiever can combine to make a decent trade package in the offseason.

100% agree.  He could be a guy where it all clicks one day, but the both K rate & BB have been pretty disappointing all year for a guy with his lack of power.

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Jose Rodriguez with a hell of a game himself. And that team faced Shelby Miller on a rehab assignment. Rodriguez and Ramos are the only 2 guys who had hits off him.

Rodriguez definitely a streaky player but his bad streaks are never that terrible.

5 hours ago, danman31 said:

In this scenario, where Sheets and Stiever prove they are mlb talents, I dont think it is necessary to trade everyone who doesn't have a set in stone spot in the MLB lineup. Good organizations have depth and legit MLB talents stuck in AAA because they are blocked. Every team suffers injuries and having solid players to fill in for them is huge. 

I just think its shortsighted to just say ok all the spots are filled, trade everyone else who could be an MLB contributer. Having too many good players is a good thing

5 hours ago, danman31 said:

I think the points that you, chitownsportsfan and CWS are all good and valid. There are plenty of reasons to be down on him. His K% and BB% and the way they are trending is a bit scary. 

That said, there are plenty of prospects hitting a wall offensively in the Southern League and in BHam specifically. I think Rutherford swing has looked more powerful this year than it has in the past and despite his struggles, I still see a guy who uses the whole field to hit and isn't awful at any individual aspect of the game. I think getting stronger and growing into his body could make a big difference for the kid. There's still a 4th outfielder in him.

I guess what I am trying to say is while I get the argument against his defenders, I can totally see this guy come back next year in Charlotte and put up an OPS over 1.000 in the first several weeks at Charlotte.  There are plenty reasons to be down on him but there are a few lingering not to write him off just yet. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

In this scenario, where Sheets and Stiever prove they are mlb talents, I dont think it is necessary to trade everyone who doesn't have a set in stone spot in the MLB lineup. Good organizations have depth and legit MLB talents stuck in AAA because they are blocked. Every team suffers injuries and having solid players to fill in for them is huge. 

I just think its shortsighted to just say ok all the spots are filled, trade everyone else who could be an MLB contributer. Having too many good players is a good thing

They need help from the outside.